Savoy Cabbage and minced beef casserole - 314 calories

Savoy Cabbage and minced beef casserole - 314 calories

Serves 4. This may sound a strange mixture, but believe me these cabbage stir fried casseroles are delicious, nutritious and filling! I get my inspiration for them from the Diet Doctor website:

dietdoctor.com/low-carb/rec...

Savoy Cabbage, Raw -400g

Butter -25g

10% Fat Beef Mince -250g

Freshly ground Pepper, Black -¼ Tsp/0.5g

Garlic - 1 clove / 3g

Carrots -75g

Celery stick -60g

Sunflower Oil -10ml

Onion -60g

Double Creams-75ml

Tomato Puree -65g

Mixed Herbs -1 Tsp/2g

Mature Cheddar Cheese -40g

Method

Shred the cabbage by hand or in a food processor, as finely as possible.

Peel and finely dice the onion. Grate the cheese. Peel and finely dice carrot and garlic. Wash and finely dice celery.

Fry the cabbage in the butter in a large frying pan or a wok on medium high heat without letting the cabbage turn brown.

Once the cabbage is wilting, turn the heat down to low and cover with a lid to keep the moisture locked in. It takes a little while for the cabbage to turn soft (about 45 minutes to an hour).

Heat the oil in a separate pan. Add the onion, celery, carrot and fry over a medium heat for one minute. Add the garlic. Continue to fry until onion is translucent.

Add the mince and pepper and continue to fry until the meat is browned. Add the tomato puree and herbs and continue to cook for 2 - 3 minutes more.

Add the cooked cabbage and saute for a minute. Turn off heat and add the cream.

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C.

Sprinkle the grated cheese on top and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the cheese has turned a nice colour.

Serve on its own or with a green salad.

Nutrition Data Per Serving

Calories (kcal)344.2

Carbohydrate (g)11.2

Fat (g)25.1

Fibre (g)4.6

Sodium (g)0.212

Fruit & Veg2.3

Protein (g)19.0

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Weight Loss Plan

Join over 40,000 others on our 12-week diet and exercise plan. Keep motivated to develop healthier eating habits & get more active.

Get Started!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

26 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I love cabbage in any shape, or form, Pineapple, so this ticks all the boxes for me :)

Thanks for sharing :)

• Make sure you check out the other recipes - if you want a calorie counted one, I have entered and stored most of them (and made them lower calorie - the recipes tend to use far too much oil / butter / cream for my taste!)

Happy to share them - the Indian and Italian ones. The creamy cabbage with sausage looks worth trying too (hubbie has put in a request!)

• I shall do, thank you :)

• Sounds lovely Pineapple. I have just discovered how great cabbage is stir fried with onion as a base for bolignaise sauce, Anna61's suggestion. Have to admit I prefer cabbage crunchy but will definitely try your recipe. Thank you for sharing. Liked the look of the red cabbage one as well.

• Shredded cabbage makes a perfect substitute for spaghetti in many recipes, I’ve eaten it with bolognaisse, Carbonara and meatballs 😊 I’m going to try with chilli, although cabbage and beans may cause a few digestive fireworks!! Lol 😂

• Strangely I eat loads of veggies now, but the wind in the South seems to have subsided!

• Mmm! My taste buds are tingling. Thanks for sharing another delicious recipe Pineapple27. Apart from the mince I have all the ingredients in so will ask OH to bring some in later and it'll be on my DD tomorrow.

I'll also check out the diet doctor website.

• As mentioned above, I have some of the Diet Doctor (cabbage) recipes "tweaked" and already calorie counted. Let me know if you'd like me to share directly.

• Will do. Thank you.

• Hi Pineapple27. I've just been looking at your link to Diet Doctor and seen some lovely sounding recipes. The website seems to require you to join at a low monthly cost. Is this necessary? Do you have to be a member to access the recipes or can you just dip in as and when?

I have been thinking of trying the Blood Sugar Diet. I've got Dr Michael Mosley's book but I'm not diabetic or even pre- diabetic. I need to lose a stone to get into the healthy bmi range but ideally I'd like to lose one and a half stone. You're advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Alternatively I could just copy and paste all your lovely recipes. lol!!!

Thank you.

• No, you don't need to join the site to access the recipes - I think you can join if you want more specific meal plans and things.

I found one round of the Blood Sugar Diet worked well in helping me shed a stone in 7 weeks (was on holiday for the 8th) but 800 calories is pretty hard core... however, if you are able to remind yourself that it is only 8 weeks, it can be done!

I didn't follow it for any other reason than for weight loss, but there did seem to be many other benefits (better quality sleep, more energy, feeling fuller for longer) and I still follow the "principles" - rarely eat pasta or rice but when I have them, really enjoy them. Rarely eat bread, stick to pears, apples and berries but will eat other fruit if I'm away from home at a meeting.... I try to keep any snacking to nuts, pear/apple and a small amount of cheese (strong cheddar or blue cheese).

Always happy for you to use my recipes - the Diet Doctor website sometimes has weird quantities - way too much oil / cream / cheese.... so I will use common sense and alter them.

Can thoroughly recommend stir fried leeks and savoy cabbage (using butter and olive oil). I shared links to a few of my cabbage recipes yesterday on another link.... will link to that post now if I am able to find it.

• Thanks so much Pineapple27. I knew I could rely on you! I'll check out those links now.

• Thank you. I think I'll take the bull by the horns, stop procrastinating and go for it. I'll be doing my grocery shop on Thursday and get on with the BSD on Friday. Maybe, with a bit of luck, I won't need to do the full 8 weeks but I'll see how it goes.

Thanks again for your help.

Take care.

• Do contact me if you have any questions. And do read the book if you haven't done so, as it really helps to explain how it works. It doesn't take long to read....

Are you going to try the recipes or will you make your own? I made my own, but have been logging my own recipes for a llooooonnnggg time!

I have a few recipes logged - I'll see if I can easily send you a screen shot and if you fancy the sound of any of them, I can send them over.

Make sure you buy a savoy cabbage :D

• I was intending to cook this for dinner tonight but haven't got any cream, would full fat yoghurt do in its place, do you think Pineapple27

• Mmmm, sorry only just home as have been to the theatre in London! Not sure to be honest....??? I'd hate to say "yes!" and ruin your whole dinner!

• Don't worry, I've decided to do it tomorrow anyway when I've got the correct ingredients.

Hope you enjoyed the theatre. Day one on the bsd has gone really well but might have an early night in case I get hungry later. lol.

• There's nothing wrong with an early night and better than caving in to food! Hope you remembered to drink a lot of water, as you'll be getting less fluid (eating less food).

Theatre was wonderful but it did take us about 2.5 hours to drive 40 miles home (rush hour!)

• Not sure I did drink enough to be honest, but I am passing a lot!

Driving in rush hour is a nightmare. Have a lovely evening.

• Maybe try and drink a pint every hour for 4 / 5 hours? Flavour with a slice of cucumber or lemon - of infuse with a fruit tea bag.....

• I’ll try that, 🙏🏼 thanks. Just about to post my DD then I’m off to bed.

Night night.

• By the way... interested to hear about your new badge...??? :D :D

• I was chatting on the What’s Happening Today thread recently and managed to mindlessly get through a whole punnet of grapes. I told moreless and she ‘awarded’ me the badge. I’m aiming to get it changed to a 1 stone badge soon! Weigh in tomorrow!!

• good luck!!

• Thanks Melhall.

You may also like...