Warming Red Lentil and Chickpea Soup (serves 4)

Warming Red Lentil and Chickpea Soup (serves 4)

Since summer has become all but a distant memory, while the autumnal weather has been largely fine, with some fantastic blue sky and golden sunshine days, at the weekend my attention turned towards rustling up quick and easy, yet equally nutritious and filling midweek meals.

Although I'd planned to cook the above on Sunday (long story....which ended with a visit to Fenwick's of Newcastle's Christmas store), upon returning home from work this evening, I decided to spend an hour in the kitchen, during which my work shirt was ironed and lunch also prepared for tomorrow (not the soup).

Explanations aside, I attach instructions and a collage of the various steps towards a quick and easy midweek meal.

Step 1: Weigh 150g of red lentils

Step 2: Combine 2tsp of cumin seeds, 1tsp of turmeric & 1 tsp of medium strength chilli flakes. Dry fry over a medium heat for 1-2 mins until the spices begin to become excited.

Step 3: Chop one red onion and two large garlic cloves

Step 4: Combine a 400g tin of chopped tomatoes & 850ml of chicken stock in a large pan

Step 5: Add the onion, garlic and 2 tbsp. of olive oil to the frying pan and fry over a medium heat for 5-7 mins.

Step 6/7: Add the lentils and contents of the frying pan to the tomatoes and chicken stock. Transfer the large pan to the hob, bringing to the boil and then reducing to a simmer for 15-20 mins, allowing the lentils to cook (while washing dishes and preparing tomorrow's lunch).

Step 8: One curious/concerned looking German Shepherd.

Step 9 (Optional): After 15-20 mins, remove large pan from the heat and pulse contents a few times with a hand held food processer.

Step 10: Add a 400g tin of chickpeas and a generous amount of freshly chopped coriander. Return pan to the hob, to continue simmering for a further 10 minutes (ironing shirt).

Step 11: Add two large ladles of the soup into a large bowl, sit down and enjoy the One Show.

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Weight Loss Plan

Join over 40,000 others on our 12-week diet and exercise plan. Keep motivated to develop healthier eating habits & get more active.

Get Started!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

25 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Oh dear Mr Nice Guy! A beautiful recipe that looks and sounds delicious and you haven't 'filed' it in the Soup Recipe Topic! How will we find it again?? ;)

• Can you file it in the Soup Recipe section by editing the post?

• Yes, you certainly can :)

• Upon clicking edit, how do I then move it?

• You just click on Add Topic, then check Recipes-Soups, then click on Done :)

You should do this for all of your posts, so that favourites are easy to find :)

• Are you having problems?

• I've followed the instructions provided, but as of yet, it doesn't appear to show the soups recipes section.

• Yes it's there! :)

• If you can see it, then hopefully others will be able to as well.

• Refresh your page and then look :)

• Well, would you look at that! I very much appreciate the assistance, moreless.

• My pleasure, Mr Nice Guy :)

• Lovely recipe, and all filed nicely in the brand new recipes filing system 😊😊😊

• Thanks Anna. It took a little effort, but the recipe eventually found its way there.

• This looks like a lovely recipe - thanks for sharing it. Looks delicious!!! :-)

• Thanks Zest. It is rather tasty, if I do say myself. True to form, I managed four servings from the ingredients and measurements provided.

• Had a laugh at the excited spices 😂 and again at the confused Alsatian! 😊

• As we have an over-sensitive smoke alarm that sounds even when food isn’t burning, we also possess an equally over-sensitive German Shepherd (she hates the sound) who sticks like glue whenever the pan goes on the hob, or food in the oven.

However, she forgets that daddy rarely ever sets it off. Nonetheless, she always looks concerned whenever food is being prepared with heat.

At 11 year old, I very much doubt she’ll change.

• Love soup, especially in the Autumn. Thanks Mr Nice Guy, I'm going to give this a whirl, but I'll be watching the lovely Bradley Walsh on The Chase instead :)

• Give it a try at the weekend, leaving you free to enjoy your fill of Olly Murs' dad (if you saw them both on Sunday Brunch earlier this year you'd understand what I'm referring to) on a school night.

• Many thanks, MrNiceGuy, that soup sounds delicious and has been added to my favourites. Yes, the excited spices made me smile, too, and I love the idea of your four-legged Alsatian being the smoke alarm ;)

• Glad to hear that the recipe appealed to your taste. Although it was enjoyable on Monday evening, it tasted even better on Tuesday night, after the spices and flavours had been allowed the opportunity to mature.

• Just found this and it looks great! Have you worked out calories per portion?

• MrNiceGuy, have just made this for lunch today and it is delicious. Now definitely in my Recipe Book :)

Disappointing that I didn't have a lovely concerned German Shepherd to keep me company while I was cooking :)

• I’m pleased to learn that after taking the time to make it, you found the soup delicious, but more so to hear that it’s now become a feature in your recipe book.

As for concerned German Shepherds, as pretty as she may appear, she’s also a slight hindrance, since she now sticks to your leg like glue, for fear of the smoke alarm sounding whenever food is being prepared.

You may also like...