Getting back on the wagon

I have struggled with my weight all my adult life and have yo-yo-ed between around 11 stone and 13 stone since I was 18 (at 5 foot 2, I've never been what is considered "normal" in terms of my BMI). About a year ago I managed to get down to my lowest weight through lots of exercise and eating as healthily as I could.

However, one year on, here I am back at 13 stone and more unfit than I have been in years (this time last year I was just about to complete a 10-mile running event and now I doubt I could even run 1).

I know the cause of this weight gain - a new relationship meant that I took my eye off the ball completely and I was more than happy to trade in a 5k run for a night in front of the TV with my partner and a packet of chocolate. I also feel as though birth control plays a role in my weight fluctuations.

Not only I am very aware that I look a lot bigger than I did a year ago, I am concerned about my health in the long term if something is not done about this upward trend. At 11 stone I may not have been considered a "normal" weight but I was healthy and happy with how I looked. I could walk into a shop and comfortably buy size 12 clothes and feel confident in myself. Now my clothes are constantly feeling tight and I miss the care-free feeling that came with being slimmer.

So, I'd like to make a start on getting back to where I was a year ago. I have voiced my concerns to my partner (who of course is extremely tall and seems to remain a beanpole no matter what he eats) and I hope that he will support me, but I know he would never push me to exercise or stop me from reaching for the crisps so the motivation will have to come from me.

I have been more conscious with what I am putting in my body the last few weeks and I know that I eat too much. I do walk at least and hour and a half during the week to get to work and back but obviously this is not enough to undo the damage so I shall be trying to get more exercise too.

I'll be using myfitnesspal to track my food and exercise and hopefully start seeing results soon enough!

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Weight Loss Plan

Join over 40,000 others on our 12-week diet and exercise plan. Keep motivated to develop healthier eating habits & get more active.

Get Started!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi rach121991 and welcome to the weight loss forum.

Well done for making the first step to getting back to your healthier person you was a year ago. Why not join in with today's weigh in to give you a good starting point. :)

You are invited to join our Newbie Club, where you can meet other new members who are just beginning their weigh loss journeys too. Here's the link for all the information you will need to find your way around the forum:

healthunlocked.com/nhsweigh...

Write a brief note to introduce yourself to other newbies and I'm sure you'll be making friends, in no time.

Good luck with your first week.

• hello and welcome to the forum, one of the administrators will reply to you shortly to welcome you and give you then link to the newbies group which aims to give extra support to new people and help them navigate themselves around the forum and get the full benefit of it. Have you decided how much you want to loose or chosen a target weight? If you want to get down to 11 stone then that is ok or if you want to get within the healthy BMI range then use the NHS BMI calculator and it works out how many calories you need to have a day to loose weight based on age, current weight, gender and level of activity you do a week. Most weight loss is done by calories rather than exercise though exercise plays apart.

• Hi and welcome rach121991 !

Tracking what you are eating (calories/portions) is a great way for you to quickly see where you need to make changes to your diet. Us shorter folk (and I am only 4ft 9"!) have to be really careful with weight, as a pound on us will be far more noticeable than on some one who is a foot taller....

It's great to mention that it's about health more than anything - not just all about looks and clothes, but internal health (internal organs, visceral/invisible internal fat, blood pressure, heart and lungs). These are the internal "engine" and what keeps us alive and healthy. We are what we eat! Eat rubbish and the internal engine will start to malfunction!

It sounds as though you know what you want and you know how to get there! There's nothing wrong with treats, but when does an occasional treat become a daily habit? I speak from experience here!!!

It's great that you're in a happy place with your relationship, and although your partner is a beanpole - he will benefit from making changes to his diet too. Eat better, feel better!

Do you both enjoy cooking? Why not find some healthy recipes on line to try putting together?

You may also like...