Tallying daily kcals

Just been tallying up daily calaries, last two days 1,086 and 1,059 calories wondering if should up calories to recommended 1,487 to 1,912 calories. Do worry in case you get to paranoid about the numbers. My GP was concerned that i was overly worrying about my weight, as i had eating disorder in the past. Has anyone else had eating disorders in the past?

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Weight Loss Plan

Join over 40,000 others on our 12-week diet and exercise plan. Keep motivated to develop healthier eating habits & get more active.

Get Started!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

6 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Honey10 certainly don't want to go down the eating disorder route but I do think you are limiting your calories too much.

Try upping your calorie toward the top end of your range, eat some healthy fats - they are really beneficial and good for us. Don't worry too much about the numbers on the scales as your body need to have good nutrients in order to nourish it to do its job. Most people find that weights starts to reduce once they have upped their calories. Stops you body feeling it is being starved.

Take care

• Thanks for the advice, much appreciated x

• Hi Honey10 i would definitely up your calories. Before I joined here I had always been wanting to lose weight since I was at school and had always struggled no matter what diet I did. I was always bigger than most friends and partners and could never understand it because I never even ate much. When I joined here it was the first place that asked how many calories I was eating to help me understand why. I hadn't counted before so I counted for a few days and found out it was only roughly around 1000 a day. I was then told it was because I wasn't eating enough. If you don't eat enough your body thinks your starving it and turns what you do eat into body fat and this weighs more than eating the extra calories does so it stops you from losing weight and sometimes puts weight on instead. Good luck with your journey.

• Thanks, I will increase over this week so what affect it has on my weight. Just trying to get the right balance. Wishing you success too x

• Hi Honey10 you are definitely not eating enough calories. Start off my using the higher figure and see how that goes - you can always reduce the calories accordingly.

I have an eating disorder history and I also had disordered eating that helped to feed the eating disorder. When I first joined this forum I calorie counted and quite enjoyed it and kept within my BMI range. However I did find it difficult to eat the amount of food that came with the range (1700-2000 or there abouts). I soon realised I had to sort out the disordered eating and re-learn how to eat healthily. I basically went back to being a baby - I had 4 hourly feeds and gradually introduced healthy foods so I wouldn't be overwhelmed. Being overwhelmed is an eating disorder's paradise! I left out the calorie counting and got used to eating proper meals at proper meal times that fit in with my lifestyle. This also gave me the time to de-programme my brain from all the myths about "dieting" and "calorie restriction" and get a grip on my emotional eating. Its been tough going and I haven't cried so much in my life but its all good.

Happily I am now eating regularly and healthily and I have lost weight to boot!! My next stage is to calorie count but I will be doing this one meal at time, for example, two weeks of calorie counting my breakfast, then lunch then dinner, when hopefully I will be in a position to calorie count and plan the whole days food.

There is life after eating disorders. The trick is not to let the fear of the past dictate the path of the future. Take it a day at time, one meal at a time. And up those calories and keep the eating disorder firmly in its place.

Good luck x

• Thanks for taking the time to reply. Sounds like your in a much better place now, with healthy eating well done you.

Small steps definitely, though my actual eating disorder was a long time back. I am still at the stage where I wouldn't have a whole week shop in house in case I was tempted to binge then purge.

Thanks for your advice x

You may also like...