Lots to lose

Hi everyone, newbie here with lots of weight to lose (7 stone). I've been struggling with my weight for more than 10 years now and would really like to take control and say goodbye to it 😬

I find self control very hard when it comes to a healthy relationship with food, my main problem is that I definitely over eat as I really enjoy my food. Any support with this would be much appreciated

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Weight Loss Plan

Join over 40,000 others on our 12-week diet and exercise plan. Keep motivated to develop healthier eating habits & get more active.

Get Started!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

18 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Most people enjoy their food, and that's a good thing. However, although there are a number of reasons people overeat, if we eat foods that mess with our hormones it makes life very difficult because we seldom feel satisfied or satiated, and can be hungry again within three or four hours of eating.

Most people are aware of the ups and downs caused by sugar or flour, but common foods such as most cereals (including cornflakes, bran flakes, Ready Brek, Weetabix or Shredded Wheat), potatoes, rice, cous cous, reduced fat dairy, baked beans, broad beans, beetroot, most bread, parsnips, melons or over-ripe bananas are as bad and worse in many cases.

• If you get your carbohydrate from low Gi, above ground vegetables, a little fruit, and properly prepared legumes such as beans (from dry), chickpeas, lentils or peas, still keeping to about 40g carbohydrate per meal, life will be easier.

Have a small amount of protein at most meals, and get most energy from natural fat. When you get used to your new lifestyle, counting calories as with the NHS 12 week plan will be much easier.

Don't forget to increase your intake, particularly of natural fat, for a couple of weeks each month, just enough to maintain your new weight, allowing your body to adjust and realise it's not starving. This will prevent your weight loss stalling at a lower energy intake. You'll find it easy to go back to reducing intake and resuming weight loss after each maintenance break.

All the best!

• Thank you for taking the time to post this very helpful info. I must admit there are many foods you have mention (like shredded wheat) that I'd have never thought of as being one to cut down or avoid!

• The cynic in me would say that was the intention of the food industry and other vested interests that influence 'healthy eating' guidelines.

• Found this very informative Concerned, didn't know about the parsnips, beetroot and melons. Thank you for posting it :)

• Ready brek is not bad for you it fills you up and if you put too much sugar on it then I'm sorry you will put on weight

• Ready Brek is processed similar to going through a blender; the resulting smaller particles are absorbed quicker than table sugar, unlike jumbo/rolled oats that are slow release energy.

• Great to have you join us xvanillaskyx

You are not alone and I am sure you will enjoy the forum...

I'd like to invite you to join our Newbie Club, which we hope will be a good place for you to connect with members, who are also just starting out. If you just post a few words to introduce yourself and respond to others there, you'll soon break the ice. Here's the link:

healthunlocked.com/nhsweigh...

Cheering you on to reach your goals 🎉🎉🎉

• Hi and welcome xvanillaskyx

Funnily enough, I posted about this yesterday: healthunlocked.com/nhsweigh...

Hope you find some of it helpful?

• Hi xvanilaskyx

Welcome to the forum. It's not easy to put the brakes on bad eating habits, it's a problem that each and everyone of us here faces so I'm sure you'll get all the support you need here.

Looking forward to reading your progress reports.

• Hi and welcome to the forum xvanillaskyx

We have all had to change our eating to get the weight off, it takes time to change habits :)

Pineapple27 post is a really good read :)

• hi. i started on this forum in dec last year.. i also had a goal to lose 7st... so far ive lost 2stone and my goal is to lose another stone by the end of the year.. My advise is dont look at the 7st and make small realistic goals initially that are sustainable otherwise you will go full steam ahead at the start and then run out of steam as its just too hard to reach...

Good luck with your new lifestyle plan and look forward to hearing your progress.

• Thank you for all of your helpful posts. I certainly have a lot to get started with and it definitely makes a difference knowing there is support so thank you very much for that everyone 👍

• G'day my lovely, welcome. I'm just starting out (again). Also looking at the 7 stone mark. I did struggle with overeating but I think I've just about curbed that now. I focus more on whole, unprocessed, (and as I'm vegan) plant based foods. I found that processed foods had more rubbish in them that messed up my body's natural processes and I never felt satisfied, and always craved more. Now that I'm eating far less junk, and I take time to actually enjoy the meal, my body is able to send out the right signals and I don't eat nearly as much.

• Hi cookie :) I feel as though I'm up against the clock at the moment when eating as I have a new baby so I'm not sure I am giving myself enough time to register that I am full. However saying that even pre baby I was not able to judge this. I would love to feel more in sync with my body, apart from taking my time when eating is there anything else I could do atm to help myself register that I am full?

• G'day my lovely, as I said above, the less processed food you eat, the better. I try to cook my meals from scratch with minimal packet ingredients so I know What I'm eating. I chop my veggies a few days ahead so I have less prep to do at each meal. They are stored in the fridge in airtight container and are ready to throw in the pan for a quick meal. Adding extra veggies like leafy greens, carrot, green beans etc. can fill your plate without adding loads of calories. This can cover you if you do overeat. As an added bonus, you'll also get a load of vitamins along with it. I'm afraid I don't have children so can't advise you on how to arrange your time to fit in cooking time but there are plenty of other lovely people on this site at could offer you advice in that regard.

• Hi welcome. Read this morning and give me great insight Hope it will too. PS I really love my food to. You will never change your life until you change something you do daily. The secret of your success is found in your daily routine. We need to change our eating habits slowly and to which they become routine. So I hope you enjoyed this as much as it has for me. Have a great weight loss journey and keep posting were here for inspiration and tips.

• Welcome xvanillaskyx, you have had lots of brilliant replies here, full of great information. I could never tell when I was full either. I started putting my meal on a plate and just accepting that that was going to be enough and not having anything else for an hour after, unless I had a drink of water or, in my case, a herbal tea. If I was genuinely hungry after that, I would have a few almonds or a piece of fruit.

It takes a while to get going - just change a few things at a time and set yourself small goals as the big goal can sometimes seem daunting.

Come over to the DD and take a look at what others are having for ideas and if your brave enough, tell us what you are planning tomorrow - even if you don't put the calories in. You will only get support and advice, no judgement :)

You may also like...