Chia seeds

I was reading very recently about the amazing benefits of these chia seeds. Probably read it on MFP. So being quite gullible I thought I'd give them a go.

Who on earth was the first one who thought it was a good idea to eat these. They taste of nothing and get everywhere. And a word of caution, don't even think about them if you've got false teeth. And to make matters worse I bought two packets😤

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Weight Loss Plan

Join over 40,000 others on our 12-week diet and exercise plan. Keep motivated to develop healthier eating habits & get more active.

Get Started!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

HealthUnlocked Health Blogger Awards

Which blogger has helped you lose weight or eat healthier?

Vote now

Featured by HealthUnlocked

13 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Sorry I shouldn't laugh Tonyst but you did make me laugh reading about your false teeth with the chia seeds. Hope your ok now! Not all these healthy foods are a good idea! :)

• I'm fine now I've had a good sluice down thanks. Looks like the seeds are limited to porridge, yoghurt or soup. Anything that doesn't require teeth

• err... did you just eat them out of the packet? Eating dry grains is never really the optimal way. Dry rice is not at its best straight from the bag.

Try incorporating them into something moister. Like chia pudding or iskiate.

food.com/recipe/chia-fresca...

• Heaven forbid!!! Surely no one can eat them on their own. I put them on yoghurt. I'll persevere for now

• Interesting recipe apart from the last line "stir and enjoy"

• hahaha Tonyst this thread is really making me laugh!

• Apparently you are supposed to soak them in water and they expand. I read an article about a man who ate his, then drank a big glass of water. He was quite uncomfortable, lol. When I have them I add a tablespoon of the seeds to my porridge to increase my protein intake or add a spoonful to my overnight oats. Currently I m working my way through flax seeds instead.

• Lesson learnt. Put them on anything that doesn't require teeth. You know I'll be putting some in water now to see what happens. It's not that I'm running out of them. And please, don't start me on flax seeds.

• I use chia seeds quite a bit in smoothies. I also like them soaked overnight in nut milk and have them for breakfast.

• Just came across this:

How to Soak: To soak chia seeds, simply mix them in a 1:10 ratio chia to water. That’s about 1.5 tablespoons chia seeds in one cup of water. It does not have to be exact, but you do want it to gel all the way and not be too watery. Then let them sit for about 30 minutes to two hours.

Mmmmm…gel like!!

• 😂

• Tonyst . I've put a link to an overnight oats recipe on here somewhere. There's a tablespoon of chia in it. Give it a try 👌

• minimalistbaker.com/peanut-...

Found it thanks, although your comment about no fish egg texture wasn't selling it to me.

Chia - now there's another one that's new to me.

You may also like...