Small steps on a long journey

I returned from Lincolnshire yesterday after 4 days away with my daughter and son in law. I think my weight loss so far of over a stone helped a bit with my mobility as I was able to walk greater distances than usual albeit quite slowly. We had a few stops along the way as my knee and ankle joints became quite painful but I noticed a difference and it made me more determined to continue with my plan. It was an emotional journey as well as I haven't been back to Spalding since my mum died 12 years ago and my daughter and I relived lots of happy memories as we visited old haunts.

I have a very, very long way to go before I reach any thing like a 'normal' weight for my diminutive height of 5' 2" but by taking small steps I feel I will eventually get there. I tried to take the more healthy food options as we ate out a lot but I am prepared for the scales to move upwards instead of downwards when I weigh in this Saturday. No matter as although I record my weight on this forum every week, it's not the short term goals but the lifetime achievements that are really important for me.

It has been quite an incentive to see an improvement in my walking ability after such a short time on my new healthy eating plan. I hoping that this will continue as it's hard to always be the one that every has to wait for to catch up.

So it may only be small steps so far for me but at least they are going in a forward direction!

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Weight Loss Plan

Join over 40,000 others on our 12-week diet and exercise plan. Keep motivated to develop healthier eating habits & get more active.

Get Started!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

HealthUnlocked Health Blogger Awards

Which blogger has helped you lose weight or eat healthier?

Vote now

Featured by HealthUnlocked

37 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Great attitude Galaxygirl1959! Indeed the small steps will definitely get you where you want. All the very best!

• Thank you matets

• Aww I am so glad you had a lovely time and found the journey albeit emotional but a happy one❤️

Every long journey starts with a small step and if we don't take those steps the journey doesn't start at all so well done you that step will soon be followed to longer ones and the journey becomes easier, having lost some weight already I can only vouch that the hip pain I was in has almost left me, the swelling ankles and knees are 90% better so for me it's being pain free that's a massive bonus not just feeling and looking better.

Hope you continue to get good results because you are doing and giving yourself the best present you can by what you are doing, good luck for the rest of your journey small steps or not keep making them and you will reach your destination💐

• Thank you for your reply Itsbab. It's very encouraging to hear that your weight loss has resulted in helping with the aches and pains associated with being overweight. It really is motivating to hear from people who have had the same problem and can vouch that losing weight really can make a difference. The main reason I have started this journey is because I am finding the pain almost unbearable when I walk and I am gradually becoming a hermit due to inactivity. I am also hoping to manage my blood pressure issues and not have any further increases to my medication. I agree that the main bonus to losing weight is to reduce the pain and increase my mobility.

Although if I end up looking like Vivien Leigh in Gone with the Wind, I can live with it 😏

• Great post, well done for recognising your improvement :O)

• Brilliant for you. Small steps in the right direction all add up.

• sounds like you had a good time and that you are already seeing improvements of your new healthy eating plans and the benefits of losing weight... .. see you in the saturday weighin x

• Thanks Claz, will be signing in on Saturday.

• Good for you. Your positive attitude is an example for all of us.🌺

• Thanks wa2un7. It's still early days for me but the difference I can already feel helps me remain positive about my future success. I am hoping that one day I too will get my maintainer badge.

• Really great post. "I am a slow walker,but I never walk backwards". All the very best!

• I may walk sideways Carol94 but hopefully never backwards! Thanks for your good wishes.

• Very well done Galaxygirl1959 i am so pleased you can see an improvement in your overall health and fitness 😊

Small steps really are the way to go. You are sounding so determined but have a look at these posts as further motivation!

healthunlocked.com/nhsweigh...

• Thanks Anna61

• Hey Galaxygirl that is great that you had a few days away and that you are already starting to notice a difference in your mobility. You are so right in what you say, whilst it is good to see the weight on the scales reduce the best bit is seeing the difference a weight loss makes to your everyday life. You go girl.

• Thanks Dipper. I did manage to walk for longer periods of time before having to sit down. I wasn't exactly Speedy Gonzales but I know that it was an improvement from a month ago. Quite an incentive to keep going!

• although my weight loss for 6 months,due to swims,alternate days when pos,Zumba,chair and dance step classes,since Jan,my walking,toes,knees hips have greatly improved,so grateful,but want to break my habit of bingeing and improve my motivation skills to see plans thru!☺

• Good luck with the motivation ary88. It must help to know that your efforts so far have resulted in improvements to your mobility. Hold that thought!

• It is the smaller steps grow into larger inspirations!!! You rock!!!!!!!!!!!

• Well done. It's great that you can feel the difference. Keep up the good work.

• Thanks Alypar. Hope things are going well for you.

• Thanks. I'm a bit up and down. I know where it's going wrong, just struggling to keep down to my limit. I feel as though I'm better in control than I was. Just need to push through to the next step of keeping it going for long enough to get a result. I like Spalding, I go there each year in the late autumn for a very enjoyable model railway show just before Christmas.

• It's good that you can see progress Alypar. I think I am so determined this time because my health has deteriorated and I need to do something about it as I am on a downward spiral if I don't. I did notice a difference in my mobility as I was slowly walking around Spalding with my daughter. Seeing a small difference after only a month has really spurred me on. I still have a long way to go but I am more hopeful now that I will get there!

Don't give up and you will get there too!

• Thank-you for your encouragement. Best wishes I'm very pleased to see how well you have done. I've a lot going on at the moment but really must prioritise getting my health back.

• Hullo

What do you binge on and when

Can you short circuit the urges

You seem to have plenty of determination looking at your list of activities

Go for it

• Hi Bernieis8 . My greatest binging downfall was and is chocolate. I couldn't cope with cutting it out completely so I allow myself a small Twirl most days. I keep it in the freezer so it lasts longer! I have different strategies for coping with the urge to binge and sometimes they all fail and I end up eating more than I intended. It's a very personal thing and only you know what will work for you. I have learned not to be too hard on myself as it's all part of life's rich pattern. If I overindulge one day, I start again the next. I don't think of myself as being on a diet, more of a change of lifestyle. It's not plain sailing by any means but I have begun to notice a difference since losing over a stone. This has helped me this week as I want to continue to see further improvements.

Don't be too hard on yourself Bernie. Best of luck for your healthier future.

• Hello Galaxygirl1959. I just wanted to say how helpful your posts are to me. I've just had two days of going back to my old ways of bad eating (mainly far too much chocolate)! After reading your posts I feel that tomorrow I can get back to this new way of eating that isn't "a diet" but a new way of life. Thank you!

• If ever I have a bad day, either because I have gone off course with my eating or had a difficult time, I always say to myself "tomorrow is another day". Its possibly the only thing Scarlet O'Hara and I have in common! It's very hard to change old eating habits overnight so don't be too hard on yourself Muntjacky. I keep a couple of Cadbury Twirls in the freezer and usually have one in the evening. They take longer to eat as they are frozen so the taste lingers for longer and it fits in to my calories for the day. Hope you have a great day tomorrow.

• Great suggestions. I'm only a month into this but I've had a lifetime of comfort eating. Fresh start now!

• Hi galaxygirl1959. How did u put together a healthy eating plan ? Thanks. X

• Hi sjmrcfc73. I am basically trying to keep within 1500 - 1700 calories a day. I am using MyNetDiary app to track protein, carbs nutrients etc to ensure I am eating a balanced diet. Allowing a small chocolate treat most days within my allowance as I couldn't maintain it without some chocolate!! I usually have plain porridge with cinnamon and a few raisins for breakfast. Salad with tuna or chicken etc or home made soup and crackers for lunch and chicken/turkey or fish with a heap of veg for dinner. Or make a vegetable pasta or rice dish for the evening. I do try and vary it every day or I would get very bored! I find calorie counting works for me and the app is very helpful as I track all my food each day. It's become a habit for me now. Hope you in find what works best for you. There are lots of tips on this forum so good luck !

• Hi galaxygirl1959 i was wondering if u wud mind telling me how much weight uve lost and how long it's taken u by using the methods u detailed in ur reply to me. Thanks. X

• I started on 15 July sjmrcfc73 and as of last Saturday, I have lost 1st and 5lbs. I was on a mini break for 4 days this week so don't really expect to lose anything when I weigh in tomorrow as although I tried to make healthy food choices, I was on holiday and desserts beckoned! I had around 11 stone to lose when I first started so I am in this for the long haul. I won't be too worried if I haven't lost anything or even gained a bit as I was back on the straight and narrow when I returned and there is always next week. I just take each day as it comes. I treated myself to some lovely fruit from M&S today - because I'm worth it!😀

• Thanks for ur reply galaxygirl1959. Wow well done on the weight loss thats brilliant🤗 x

• You are doing so well. Proud of you!!

• Hi galaxygirl1959 thanks so much for taking the time to provide me with such a great detailed reply. I love getting replies that are actually doable and useable rather than someone just bumping their gums and driven by their own ego lol ! I really appreciate it and I will take ur suggestions on board.x

• That is what getting healthier is all about by taking smaller steps with one day at a time. You are doing great!!!!

You may also like...