Fat, middle aged and desperate

I am 48, 5ft6 and weigh 18:07 stones, I just cannot stick to a diet.

I struggle for breath constantly, sometimes just getting dressed is a challenge as I am so puffed out.

My back is agony, I can't walk far because of the pain which is all caused by being so overweight.

I have a job where I am sitting down all day and work 10 hour shifts.

I really need help but I am so scared I will die or suffer a stroke or heart attack.

There is a history of heart disease in my family.

I am a ticking time bomb.

Can anyone give me some guidance?

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Weight Loss Plan

Join over 40,000 others on our 12-week diet and exercise plan. Keep motivated to develop healthier eating habits & get more active.

Get Started!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

14 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Welcome Pigg

This is an amazing forum to be part of. Lots of people on here have different issues and as you get to know us and share experiences with us you will find that we are a super supportive bunch and don't pass judgements.

However it is important to know that the admin team are not heath professionals just volunteers on our own weight loss journey. Please make sure you seek medical advice from your Doctor.

In the meantime you are so welcome to join our wonderful forum. Here are a few suggestions on how to get the most out of the forum. If you are using the new HU App many of these features are not available so I suggest you use the full website version.

The first place to look is at the Pinned posts section to the right of your screen (bottom if you're using a mobile), read the Welcome Newbie thread first and move through to the challenges, where we hope you'll find at least one that will appeal to you. Move down to the Topics, to find a variety of threads, collated into topics for ease of access and we ask that you also 'file' your own threads, so that others won't miss your important news, and you will have important news to share.

Have a look at the NHS 12 week plan, as many people have had success with it. Also use the BMI checker to find your target calories, it's important to eat enough. This can be a major turning point, realising you can eat anything as long as the calories are accounted for. Don't forget to take your starting measurements and a 'before' picture, as they can be very motivating on days that the scales refuse to co-operate, that happens to me regularly!

The forum also have group weigh-ins every day, as well as a Daily Diary, if you wish to take part. The posts can always be found in the Events section on the 'home' page. And if you just want to chat, to say hello or share any news or struggles then look out for What's Happening Today thread. There are many other challenges to get involved with, just choose to what you are comfortable with

You'll notice a grey box next to people's names, these are achievement badges, and as a new member you have a 'Newbie' badge. We've found that to get the best out of this community, we need to be active on the forum, as it's where we exchange information, get motivation and inspiration and make friends. We hope that you'll join us here, regularly, too. If you have any questions please just ask.

The more you join in and connect with people the more you get out of the forum.

I wish you well as you get started with a new lifestyle.

Ceals

• Welcome, Pigg, I can completely empathise with the way that you're feeling, because I was exactly the same when I found this wonderful community! I was 58, 5' 6", 19st 10lbs and a smoker! However, that was 2 years, 7 stone and no more cigs ago, so if I can do it, so can you :)

Wishing you all the best :)

• Fantastic very well done to you.

Hope I can be as successful

• Thank you and I'm sure you'll do just as well! :)

• Hi P, You have taken the first step by posting on this lovely forum. An administrator will reply to you to guide you around the site. They are generally on from 7am until 10pm. I am 60 and have 6 stone to lose. I have completed Week7 of the NHS 12 week healthy eating plan and have lost 11lbs so far and believe me I have tried every "diet" out there. Don't think diet think of making healthy choices. Make small changes to start with and set small goals like 7lbs at a time. There is so much support, tips, advice and inspirational stories on here and everyone encourages each other. Have a look at the NHS BMI calculator which will give you a daily range of calories for your stats and aim for the top end to start with. Wishing you well and please don't be so hard on yourself as you have taken a positive step this evening.👍😊

• Brilliant support Kazzi56 we are all on the journey to where we want to get to and I think healthy choices/healthy lifestyle is definitely the way to go.

• Thanks Ceals that's what makes this forum great. You and moreless are up late tonight.lol good night.💤

• Hi

Thanks so much for replying.

I will need help to get around the site as I am hopeless!

I so want to lose weight.

Thank you

• You're more than welcome. Any questions just ask and an admin will point you in the right direction. Took me a wee while to get used to it too. Good night💤

• Welcome. Firstly well done for finding us and bravely posting... We're a varied group of ordinary people, all wanting to lose weight and all on our own personal journeys. I was 17.13 when I started in March last year (aged 50 and 5' '1") I've very slowly lost 2 stone.

My advice would be firstly, don't beat yourself up...

Don't eat too little as you will go into starvation mode and your body will hang on to those pounds and ounces...

Keep a food diary so you can actually see and reflect on what you eat...

Or try an app .. eg my preferred one is "My Fitness Pal"

Just little changes can help start you off...maybe a food swap once a day or several times a week.

I sympathise with your back pain... It's hateful...hopefully that may be relieved gradually as your weight reduces (you CAN do it.

Drink lots of water...sometimes a peckish hunger Ian can be satisfied with water

Get plenty of sleep if you can... Sleep also helps weight loss. (I'm a fine one to say that... If I could sort out my sleep in sure I'd kick start losing again as I'm a bit stuck)

Try and identify your danger zones where you maybe eat more than needed. Night time for me. . Doing the packed lunches often sees me eating along too...So now I sometimes make tomorrow's the minute I get in from work today just so I'm away from food in the late evening's...

And I try to have a healthy snack in my drawer at work to avoid buying chocolate at work and I minimise cash. At work too for the same reason... We have a tuck shop trolley comes round. I also sit on my butt for most of 7+ hours at work.

Don't shop when hungry...and make a list and stick to it...

If you have a bad day then don't be down...tomorrow is a new day.

Again welcome. Don't be afraid to ask questions..we all want to support and be supported...everyone is really nice on here. I'm glad you found us 👍

• Everything you've said there is such great advice. Lots of ideas to think about for many of us. Especially the danger zones! All the best for this week.

• Hi if you want to lose weight, get fitter and change your lifestyle you have come to the right place. I'm 5ft 2in and started at 18st 8lb at the end of last year. I have lost almost three stone and feel so much better and that is just with eating healthy. Changing your lifestyle and learning new and better habits is the way to do it. You have made your first step to the new and healthier you. Well done, keep posting there is lots of advice and support available to help you on your journey.

• Good luck! You can do it!! Just listen to all the losers and give it a go.

• Good morning P. You have done the right thing coming here. Everyone is so helpful and friendly. Don't worry about finding your way around - it's not as difficult as it first looks & there's always someone ready to help. I would say not to think about "dieting" but follow the advice here about making small changes in your life. Good luck!

You may also like...