Cleaning: An Aerobic Work-out! :-)

Cleaning: An Aerobic Work-out!  :-)

Hi everyone,

This made me laugh today - because I started some housework (thorough clean involved) at about 8am this morning, and finished about 11am. Felt good, house is clean and I felt like it was a 'work-out'.

My Fitbit only picked up that I was doing something energetic by 8.51am, and I notice it gave me an 'activity' which it labelled as 'Aerobic work-out' - lasting 29 minutes.

Whilst I realise that it doesn't reflect the entire time I was cleaning, I am thrilled to see that just within that 29 minute period it told me I had burned the equivalent of 196 calories, and my average heart rate (beats per minute) were 114. Shows that cleaning should not be under-estimated!

Just wanted to share that with you.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Zest :-)

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Weight Loss Plan

Join over 40,000 others on our 12-week diet and exercise plan. Keep motivated to develop healthier eating habits & get more active.

Get Started!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

27 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Yes it's amazing how many calories can be burned cleaning. You have put me in the mood to get started on mine. Have a good day.

• HI Dipper,

Oh brilliant, I'm sure you'll feel good after you do it - I certainly do. :-) I'm going to have some lunch now. Looking forward to that. :-)

Hope you have a lovely day.

• That is a good few calories burnt off for your 29 minutes work out. Everyone is going to be cleaning their houses now Zest to see what their Fitbits say! lol

• Thanks YellowRose55 - I can see a spurt of house-cleaning coming on... I felt sluggish at the start, but it definitely gave me more energy by the end. Glad it's over now though! :-)

• Good result but as you say these monitors do not always pick up our true activity. I was walking for over an hour yesterday and my Samsung health monitor registered only 35 minutes. At least I knew what I had completed.😁

have a lovely afternoon.

• Hi Roset16,

Yes, you're right, as long as you know what you did, that's the main thing. I noticed that the Fitbit did keep an account of the steps during the 3 hours of cleaning - and it was 8,000 steps in that time! :-)

Hope you're having a lovely day.

• Hi zest thanks for posting this, it's great news to hear that house work can be healthy too

Rosie 😊

• Hi Rosie,

Yes, I think it's a good healthy work-out for definite. :-)

Hope you're enjoying your day.

• Wow, you must dust fast!!

• You're right, I could be a human hoover, but I do use appliances. ;-)

• I will go and scrub the bath and see what happens to my heart rate

• ok! Let us know how you get on!!! :-)

• Well done that's great. On that principle if I cleaned my flat thoroughly I would be too thin! My flat a total tip at the moment :( x

• lol, your reply made me laugh, lilaclil - pace yourself with your cleaning, you don't want to waste away! lol Seriously though, I bet your flat isn't a 'total tip' - we can be way more harsh on ourselves sometimes.

I hope you're enjoying your day - and I love your icon photo - that is my favourite colour - very beautiful. :-)

• Thank you but ...er it is. If anything I am under exaggerating! x

• Fair enough, but if you do tackle it, at least you'll know you're burning off calories whilst you're doing so. :-) xx

• LOL - I did the same thing yesterday Zest, my fitbit recorded me doing 'Sport' at 8.30am yesterday and I was racking my brain to work out what I'd done. I realised it was me trying to reclaim our garden path from under the ivy and brambles !! :-) :-) Not sure it's going to spur me on to do that very often though... ;-)

• Hi lucca10,

Wow, you were tackling that Garden path very early yesterday - but I bet it feels good to have saved it from the ivy and brambles. :-)

I agree entirely, although these things feel good to get out of the way, they are not exactly the most exciting things to do. I am relieved to have the cleaning out of the way for a while. Phew! :-)

Hope you have a lovely afternoon.

• I'd checked the rain radar forecast and that was about the only time it wasn't going to rain yesterday - so I dragged hubby out and said it was then or never !!

• Yes, it was raining loads yesterday...! Glad you found an opportunity. :-)

• The trouble with housework is you do it then a month later it all needs doing again :) x

• Very true!!! :-) x

• Yep, just like the ironing! Which by the way clocks up lots of steps on the FitBit!!

• I hardly ever do any ironing... But it's good to know it counts as lots of steps when you do some! :-)

• Extreme Housework!! 😂

• Yuck :( x

• lol :-) xx

You may also like...