Where is everyone from? What do you do?

It seems like most of you are from the UK and are sleeping when I am awake and wake when I am sleeping. I am from Texas, USA.

I have been in the medical field for 25years as an emergency medical technician on an ambulance or surgery technician. Right now I am working in surgery, working on vein surgeries. Varicose veins are a big problem with people, mainly women who are overweight. I would suggest getting them checked out since they are a risk for blood clots.

That is my life five days a week and I am married with a ten year old daughter. I would enjoy hearing what your day to day lives are about. Thank you for all the kind words and support.

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Weight Loss Plan

Join over 40,000 others on our 12-week diet and exercise plan. Keep motivated to develop healthier eating habits & get more active.

Get Started!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

37 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Morning Melhall or the middle of the night for you I guess.

Yes, I am from the UK - England to be even more precise. And I have a husband and two dogs. 🙂 I work in an office, but try more and more to remember that I work to live, and not the other way around. Oh, and I roomed for a year with someone from Tulane University

I hope you don't feel you are missing out too much because of the different time zone you are in. I think it is great that people from other countries want to join us here - and different perspectives are always great.

You have made me think I ought to get round to writing on my profile and I will include the country I live in too.

Good post. 🙂

• Thank you. It's so good to hear more about your life. People are still responding just at a different time. It sounds like a beautiful place to live. Thanks for sharing.

• You are very welcome.

• Hi there Melhall although most of us on here are British there seem to be quite a few overseas members from the U.S , Australia, Asia, Europe.

Like all the members on here, I had a weight problem but I've since conquered mine and am in my third year of healthy weight maintenance. I stay on this site to keep myself in check and to encourage others.

As per my profile, I live in Bath, England...which is a small but beautiful Roman /Georgian city, approximately 90 minutes west of london. Now retired, I run a small B&B business from home, but most of my previous career was as a travel agent , so I've been several times to your country over the years.

• What an exciting life! I hope to visit your country some time too.

• Hello Melhall

I live in the NE of Scotland, married with 3 grown up Children and one granddaughter. I'm semi retired but also do a little work as a freelance textile artist/designer. My favourite pastimes are gardening or walking my dog on the local beaches 😊

• I love art. I went to college for commercial art but it never went anywhere. Good to know you better.

• Hello Melhall :)

I'm in the UK as well, Oxfordshire to be precise...! I live with my partner and a new lab puppy. I am a part time nanny, and I also make art dolls.

I have lots of friends in the US (West Coast) and so am used to the delayed chat times, or staying up so I can talk to them :)

• Aww, a lab puppy. My lab puppy grew up and got out of the backyard just last night and we can't find her. 😩 nice to know you.

• My doggie was found. Thanks everyone.

• I am so relieved to hear that. Thank you for posting and telling us.

By the way - I live in England, in the New Forest. I am married with 3 adult children, 2 are married, 1 grandson 6 weeks old and another grandchild on the way in 8 weeks. I am a cleaner/carer for other people and also part time carer to my Mum and eldest son, who has Down's Syndrome and lives in residential care. I also have a mad springer spaniel called Poppy. Nice to meet you :)

• Thank you. What a wonderful time it must be to have grand babies!!!

• I'm loving being Nannie :)

• Hi melhal

I'm across the sea in Ireland. Kilkenny is a beautiful mediaeval city in the middle of the island. I'm in my healthy BMI range and would like to lose weight to be comfortably in the middle of the range. I love food and cooking. We have 3 grown up kids and live on a dairy farm

• Hi Melhall,

I'm from and have always lived in Los Angeles, CA. I'm 30 and married with a 2 year old son. I previously served in the USAF but now I work as a fire safety technician.

I weigh 469 lbs

We are 8 hours behind London right now

Jason

• I have been to LA. Nice place. Enjoy you son. Mines a marine now. They grow up so fast.

• I've been to Dallas. I was kicked out of the AF, for being fat

• Sorry to hear that. Looks like you are on the way to changing that.

• I would like to go back in, one day

• That's the precise area where I'm from. It's hot here!!

• hi I live in fife in Scotland, semi rural village. Marked 4 allegedly grown children ,2 mad jack russels and husband who loves cars and cartoons. Was in armed forces now disabled currently struggling to keep weight off. Just started tai chi as some light exercise, it's a lot harder than those old Chinese guys make it look...good night or have a nice day depending on when you read this

• Oh Scotland! My husband and I would love to go there someday. Sounds like a nice life.

• I'm in the uk in a little village of mostly farms. I have an 18 year old son and my partner Andy. I was medically retired in 2011. I was a teacher in mainstream school and hospital of children with life limiting illness. My dream job. I love reading and gardening and keeping note of my food!!

• Sounds like a dream job. Enjoy your gardening.

• Hi I live in Devon which is in the South West. I live by the sea in a beautiful area so am very lucky. I am female, in my 60's and have 1 cat. I am retired just can't can't my state pension until 65 due to the changes in pension dates.

I work as a volunteer 3 times a week in a local RSPCA shop and love it. I have a good social life and good friends. Nice to meet you.

My BMI is 25.2 which is just out of the healthy range. I am not following the NHS plan coz I hate counting calories but am tweaking my diet a bit as I want to lose a stone still. I have lost around 9lbs since coming on here though.

Good luck with your weight loss journey, this is a very good site and everyone is so encouraging and helpful.

• Sounds like a beautiful place! Great bmi! Good job!

• Thank you. x

• Hey Melhall, live in the UK, lovely little town called Beverley in the East Riding of Yorkshire with my wife and 10 yr. old son. Grew up in North Africa, educated in the US grade school system till 11 yrs. old then went to a boarding school in the UK in Harrogate. Still have the ability to switch between an American or English accent at will, I like to call it being a North Atlantican! For the past 25 yrs. I've worked for a US based oil services company in various countries in the Middle East, UAE, Qatar, Bahrain, Oman, Khazakhstan, Yemen and now Saudi Arabia. Spend 5 weeks flat out at work based on gas wells, then 5 weeks at home, rinse & repeat.

• How nice it would be to travel!! Sounds like you have had an exciting life for sure.

• Hi Melhall I live in the UK West Midlands. Still think of myself as a single mum of 3 sons even though theyre in their 20s they are either still at home (middle one) or went to uni and came back (eldest and youngest) Plus one tall greyhound!

I'm in healthcare too, work full time as an Occupational Therapist for the NHS in the community.

• Such a giving profession. Nice to know you better.

• Hi Melhall I live in UK as well, in Milton Keynes to be precise. I am 38, married with no children and have severe Epilepsy and have been told by consultant I am unable to work as I have too many seizures every month. (Between 11-18). A friend who is a pensioner lives with us so that he can keep an eye on me with seizures, otherwise he would be homeless so we let him stay and he helps us too so my husband can go to work. I have always tried to help the homeless one way or another because there was a time I was almost homeless myself.

• What a wonderful exchange! You sound like a very nice person.

• That's a fabulous idea HubbysMissMouse 😊

• I've only flown through Texas, but never actually visited there. Sounds like and interesting place!

I'm originally from Salt Lake City, Utah but am coming up on 10 years on the Southern coast of England. I live with my English husband and also have 2 stepdaughters, which is why I moved to the UK rather than the other way around! It's a beautiful part of the country, but is definitely a big change going from the Rockies to the seacoast! :)

I work full-time for my local county in Adult Social Services. It's my job to work with social workers and customers to help them find home care services. It's difficult due to a shortage of home care providers, but rewarding. I also volunteer as a Brownie Leader with a unit in one of the local villages, which is huge amounts of fun. I just wish that the Girl Guides did Girl Scout cookies as I really miss those in the spring! We'll have a break for a bit now though as we only meet during the school year and the kids will now all be getting out next week or early the week after.

• Sounds like a rewarding career. Thanks for sharing. Good to get to know you better.

• It is and you're welcome. :)

Nice to meet you too! :D

You may also like...