Taken outside of my comfort zone - London to Brighton overnight 100k walk

Wow - I actually don't believe I did this. I apologise, but a lady on this Community mentioned she has signed up to the L2B 62 mile walk, I mentioned this to my husband back in January and he said "let's do it"! Out of sheer stupidity I agreed and we signed up.

That was the spur we both needed to lose weight and get fit and oh-boy, did it work! We had a challenge in site, we had sponsors, we just couldn't give in. I got fitter, I lost weight and finally, last weekend, we walked non-stop from Richmond Park in London, all the way, through the night, into the morning, to Brighton Racecourse.

I admit, by the time we finished, I was a wreck, an emotional one too as my step kids surprised us at the end by coming to cheer us in. I do urge anyone to do the same - we had a goal that we just couldn't let slip. I have never, ever done anything like this before, never run a marathon or anything else long distance, but I read up on it and I put my whole mind and body into the experience. Interestingly, it helped me bust the myth of "oh, I've just done a walk, now I can eat". I had horrible stomach cramps during the walk and it wasn't possible for me to eat anything other than a banana at the rest stops - along with drinking copious amounts of water - I only lost 2lb over the 24hr period! Which, stuffing the pizza at the end, I put back on.

Now I need to maintain my weight. I'm not doing another 100k..... not for a long time! The euphoria is wearing off but the blister pains are not. I do put my achievement down to this Community -- (a) I would never have heard of such a walk and (b) I would never have lost the weight without being surrounded by such dedicated people all longing for the same end result. Let's get fitter and as a result - thinner!

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Weight Loss Plan

Join over 40,000 others on our 12-week diet and exercise plan. Keep motivated to develop healthier eating habits & get more active.

Get Started!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

16 Replies

oldest β€’ newest
  • That's amazing, congratulations πŸ†πŸ† 100k your poor feet I'm not surprised you have blisters πŸ‘£ I'm totally impressed go you πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰ xx

• WOOHOO, OTTOMUMMY!!!! WTG you!!!! How clever are you??!! I'm delighted for you and my pom poms are going totally crackers!!! :) :) :)

What an amazing feat, both the walk and the fantastic weight loss and fitness story. You're a total inspiration! :)

Sit down, put your feet in a foot bath and bathe in the glory :)

• I'm not surprised you got blisters, that's a heck of a long walk! Congratulations on your achievements, losing weight, getting fit and completing th walk! πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

• Great post Ottomummy. Congratulations on completing the walk, on your journey to being able to accomplish the walk and for this inspirational post.

• What a fantastic achievement, very very well done Ottomummy πŸ˜ŠπŸŽ‰πŸ‘πŸ‘ŸπŸ…β€οΈπŸ˜Š

An excellent achievement, and an event you will remember for the rest of your life 😊

• oh yes, we certainly will never, ever forget! Especially as it was our 16th wedding anniversary too!

• Happy Anniversary belated!!

• ✊ Respect! I did that once when I was 16 years old. I cried the last 7k or something. It was so tough. My feet were bleeding. I hope you heal well.

• I no longer have a little toe on my right foot..... just a blister, where the toe used to be! I was taken by surprise bursting into tears at the end, up until that point it was just an endurance.

• Oh, I know how much that hurts 😭😭

• Wow! I am in awe, well done you and how lovely of your step children to turn up to cheer you on.

What an inspiration.

• Wow! That's amazing, an inspiration to us all, Ottomummy. Very well done!πŸ‘

• Well done you and hubby.

πŸ…πŸ†πŸ…πŸšΆπŸ½β€β™€οΈπŸšΆπŸ½πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰

• Congratulations. That was a remarkable achievement and the prep must have taken a lot of determination and dedication. I hope once the blisters are a thing of the past you will remember it as one of the greatest and most memorable days of your life.πŸ’πŸ’πŸ’πŸ’

• amazing well done x x

• Well done you. A few years ago I did the Oxfam 100 km Trailfinder walk over the South Downs. My big toe nails went black and eventually fell off. I haven't wanted to repeat the experience! Daisy1925

You may also like...