disabled: need to lose weight with ltd mobility

Hi, I have just joined and am hoping to lose about 1.5 stone in weight due to weight gain because of depression and a devasting double diagnosis with my son last April. I have slightly raised cholesterol, inactivity due to chronic arthritis, disabling chronic pain,fibromyalgia etc. So I cannot exercise. I would like to know if anyone is disabled on here like us, to the point where movement is severely restricted in the home/wheelchairs and if you have managed to lose quite a bit of weight please? My son is 3 stone over due to damage from Multiple sclerosis and damage from Transverse Myelitis last April and has been told he needs to lose weight. He cannot really walk much in the home. So anyone with similiar problems as in if you aren't mobile, have you had any success please? My son cannot expend any energy due to the seriousness of his conditions. So I am hoping this way of eating can help us both. It is pretty critical that I get a grip and get healthy as I am the only one who can take care of my son, and he desperately needs to shift this excess 3 stone, bless him. Thank you.

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Weight Loss Plan

Join over 40,000 others on our 12-week diet and exercise plan. Keep motivated to develop healthier eating habits & get more active.

Get Started!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

20 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi and welcome, Lilysstars :)

I'm sorry to hear of the problems you and your son have. If you click on 'My Communities' at the top of the page, you can find different communities for your specific needs :)

We do have a number of members, with a variety of disabilities and I'm sure they will be along later to chat to you.

Fortunately, weight loss isn't dependent on being able to exercise, so you should still both be successful :)

Take a look at the Pinned posts section to the right of your screen (bottom if you're using a mobile), or in the drop down on the 'Posts' page (it says 'arrange by'). Read the Welcome Newbie thread, then move through to the challenges, where we hope you'll find at least one that will appeal to you.

Move down to the Topics, to find a variety of threads, collated into specific topics for ease of access and we ask that you also 'file' your own threads, so that others won't miss your important news.

Take a look at the NHS 12 week plan, as a lot of people have been successful with it, making sure to enter your details into the BMI calculator, to get a calorie allowance tailored to your personal requirements. Don't forget to take your starting measurements and a 'before' picture, as they can be very motivating on days that the scales refuse to co-operate.

We run a weigh-in every day of the week and you'd be very welcome to join one of them. The threads can always be found in the Events section, to the right of the HOME page, bottom on a mobile.

We also run a Daily Diary, where we share our meal and exercise plans for the day. It's a great place to get ideas and to keep us focused. The link can also be found in Events.

Be aware, that the HU app doesn't give you access to all of our important features, so we advise that you use the full website page.

We've found that to get the best out of this community, we need to be active on the forum, as it's where we exchange information, get motivation and inspiration and make friends. We hope that you'll join us here, regularly, too.

It's only left for me to wish you well on your journey :)

• Hello moreless,

Thank you so much for response and all your information.

Take care.

Lilysstars

• Welcome to the forum. I am losing weight for my wedding despite the fact that my fiancé and I haven't set a date for our wedding yet. I am currently following Slimming World but weighing in at my mum's house instead of going to the meetings. I have lost 7 1/2lbs in the last 5 weeks. I love the forum and I appreciate the support that I get from other forum members as well as family and friends.

• Hi Lilysstars,

Welcome! :)

I'm sorry to hear of your and your son's difficulties. As moreless says, it's not necessary to exercise to lose weight, but if you do want to try to get some movement into your daily routine there are exercises you can do while sitting. It may be worth looking into for your son and/or yourself. I have worked with people with severe MS so I know that many people are frequently tired and suffer from depression, which can make exercising difficult. I would suggest you talk to your son's MS nurse to see if he/she can make some suggestions to point you in the right direction or Google the MS Society as they also have support and information.

For yourself, you could try the same. You definitely need to make sure you take care of yourself as well! :) I would also suggest getting in touch with your local council as they should have support for carers.

Good Luck! :D

• Hi Vicky,

Thank you for your reply. Yes you are exactly right re fatigue etc. Unfortunately also with my son his MS is the rarer type, and he has been damaged from the ribs down with the Transverse Myelitis on top. He also has some of the rarer symptoms of MS just to complicate things further.

Horrendously complex in symptoms from both conditions. Movement triggers all sorts of nasty stuff for him, and unfortunately Neuro's are unable to help with TM due to the Transverse Myelitis being so very rare on top of the MS. The fatigue is absolutely insane, no good moments with it and progressive from the onset with symptoms. So it's incredibly difficult.

We have chatted about some light hand weights to use in his recliner chair or electric chair. So perhaps try that :) He can't do cardio at all.

I have been in touch with various things for myself, and am at the brain charity for councelling trying to come to terms with both my sons conditions :)

Google is brilliant for information yes. I am a member of the MS society, Scope and carers UK, but not done much with it at the moment.

Just had so much stuff going on with trying to get disability etc. And all sorts of stuff going wrong with his medical care, I have taken a back seat as he has been my priority. Hopefully please god, things will settle to give me some breathing space to get my son and I a bit lighter in weight etc. And for me to get to some carers support groups in the near future.

Thanks Vicky

Take care.

Lilysstars

• Hi Lilysstars,

Wow, you are one tough cookie and I salute you for all you have done, are doing, and will do. It is really tough to take care of somebody (or 2 somebodies) for any length of time like you are. I'm glad that you are in touch with the outside world (as it were) and have some support. It sounds to me like you are a formidable woman and will accomplish what you set out to do. In the meantime, whatever small help it may be, good luck and best wishes from me. I'm sure you'll get where you're going in the end. :)

• Hi Vicky,

Bless you and thank you so very much for the kind words, you have just made my day :) It is really heart warming at difficult times:)

Yes I am super strong, but very crumbly round the edges this last year, like a biscuit packet just dropped. Oooh yum yum biscuits ha ha.

But gotta keep fighting for my beloved son.

Take care Vicky

• Hi lillysstars, I joined three weeks ago, and like you I suffer with chronic disabling pain constantly and what you are thinking about weight loss and it will never happen I thought it and so I joined SW because I was not getting out and about and my support worker prompted me to go there and meet people. On my first week I lost 5lbs, but put on 2lbs last week due to my new microwave giving up the ghost and as last weeks temperatures rose I could not use the oven as way too hot. so I resorted back to old habits. I am back on track now, so keep it up (nothing is impossible)

• Hi Fatpanther,

Thank you for replying, it's nice to know there are other people out there like me. Yes it easy to slide with things. I can be the strongest person in the world cast iron willpower, or I go completely the opposite end of the spectrum and stuff my face with a snickers, mms, milky bar and fizzy drink in one go. I binge, then I beat myself up afterwards, deary me what a nightmare.

So I need to find that cast iron resolve again and get a grip. I had it about 5 years ago, but then poof it went off over the horizon.

But gosh that is good 5lbs in a week, well done you. And well done for getting back on track amazing stuff.

Take care.

Lilysstars.

• I would think that Pineapple27 could be an inspiration for you and your son. Good luck with your weight loss🙌

• Hi, thank you for your response. I actually found her post after I had posted. Amazing story, and it gives us hope. I need to find out how to do smiley faces etc.

• Smiley faces is an easy one.... do a : followed immediately by a D or a )

Glad you found my post helpful! Always happy for people to signpost anyone who needs support around disability / immobility / inability to exercise and weight loss to my Profile - it absolutely is possible to lose weight without doing an ounce of exercise (but I would LOVE to be able to go out for a run if I were able to!)

• Hi Pineapple,

Oh yes I am right there with with you re exercise:)

I was hoping to take up Nordic Walking a while ago in remote places with led groups. But when I finally realised I actually loved walking I then couldn't do it, which hit me hard as I love the tranquility of being away from everything. Oh well hey ho. Maybe I will find something indoors I can do with a bit of thought. :)

• Hi and welcome to you and your son! Youve made the first step in the right direction! I also have fibro, depression, anxiety and arthritis. Im only on my 2nd week (previous loss was following weight loss surgery but I got stuck then started creeping up again) but I feel so much more positive now. Im not following any specific diet just aiming to eat healthy and count calories, I took my allowance from the BMI calculator mentioned in the welcome post and use online tools to work out the calories in my food/meals. Im also finding planning my food and putting it on the daily diary has really helped me focus and theres great recipes, snack suggestions etc on here and everyone is really supportive :-)

Re exercise, I also struggle with this, Im suffering today after going for a walk last night but I hope to walk again tomorrow as exercise really does help the mood x

• Hi, thank you for your reply. Yes I understand fully how you feel. I have anxiety,depression, PTSD arthritis etc. I have just been given an electric wheelchair with no suspension, it's wonderful in lots of ways, but a bone shaker so not sure quite what to do on that one.

But great advice and tips to thank you.

I may start some chair yoga on youtube, as I am getting so stiff which doens't help.

Take care.

Lilysstars

• I'm not entirely sure electric wheelchairs are designed for comfort! :(

• Hello and Welcome,

I have a working diagnosis of M.E/Fibromyalgia and my mobility is very limited.

I also require help to wash, dress, cook, clean and look after my Children.

I don't count calories, but I have made some changes to my diet and have managed to lose just over a stone so far.

I have vastly cut down on my biggest vices (my battle with the sugar demons is well documented) and I have found that this has made a noticeable difference to my waistline.

Smaller plates are useful for portion control and swapping white bread, pasta and rice for wholegrain varieties also helps.

Money is very tight and we have found that batch cooking helps a lot because we are able to make extra portions to freeze for later.

• Hi Becky,

Thank you for your reply. That's absolutely amazing well done.

Yes money is tight for us to, and I to am considering doing some batch baking.

It's encouraging to hear from all of you the successes you are having, I feel much more confident for my son and I now.

I also have to avoid wheat as I have inherited a wheat allergy off my mother, so this can make things challenging.

Although I have found a recipe on buckwheat fermented bread, so I am going to give that a go.

Take care

Lilysstars

• Hi there Lilysstars

As you'll have seen, I have managed to lose weight whilst being more or less sedentary.

The secret is to find out what ones calorie intake is for someone your / your sons height, and who is sedentary and then plan food within that calorie allowance.

It can be done. I am close to goal now (10lbs away) so there really is no room for daily treats :( BUT I would rather forgo the treats than to be the weight I was.

Let's not forget, as well as not looking or feeling our best when we are carrying more weight, we are also increasing our risk of heart disease, diabetes, stroke and other knock ons (hips and knees wearing out, pain, blood clots, raised Blood Pressure, etc)

I am 55 years old in September and I'd like to live for at least another 25 - 30! Being sedentary, we are already at greater risk of some of those, so eating as healthily as possible is our best bet!

• Hi Pineapple,

That's so amazing what you have achieved :) I am 53 and my son 29. The health risks are a real concern with not being active.

So therefore food control and quality is the key really.

I have found my confidence going when I see myself now, I am ten stone which is not that heavy, but it is a stone over my maximum weight, and I am tiny boned to.

If I can get to 8.5 stone I would be thrilled. My son used to be 10st and is now 13. 4. And he is so tiny boned for a man like me. He has the same size hands as me and he has the same wedding ring size as me and same watch size. Bless him :)

You may also like...