My food surprise

My food surprise

The existence of cauliflower pizza came to light a little while back, after a chat with Pineapple27, who keeps introducing me to a whole new world :) Well, I decided to give it a try and grabbed a recipe off the web.

The pics are my before and after and it's only the base so you can add what you like.

My findings are/were 1. Really easy to make 2. Smelled to me like bread/dough whilst cooking (not so good during the first prep) 3. Has the texture of a light bread 4. It was really good (surprisingly to me).

If you're interested, this is what I did... (plagiarised from bbcgoodfood)

750g cauliflower after leaves taken off

2 eggs (we only have large double yolkers in at the moment)

15ml / 1tbsp dried oregano

100gms ground almonds

Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Remove the leaves from the cauliflower and trim the stalk end, then cut into chunks. Blitz half the cauliflower in a food processor until finely chopped, like rice. Transfer to a bowl and repeat with the remaining half. Tip all the cauliflower in a bowl, cover with cling film and microwave on High for 5-6 mins until softened. Tip onto a clean tea towel and leave to cool a little. Once cool enough to handle, scrunch up the tea towel and squeeze as much liquid as you can out of the cauliflower, then transfer to a clean bowl. Stir in the ground almonds, egg, oregano and plenty of seasoning. Line a baking tray with baking parchment and grease with oil. Mound the cauliflower mix into the centre of the tray, then use a spoon and your hands to spread out into a 30cm round. Make it a little thicker at the edges to create a ‘crust’. Bake for 15-18 mins until golden brown and starting to crisp a little at the edges.

My notes: When you go to squeeze the moisture out it looks like you wont get any and then a fair bit does come out but it does take a bit of effort (maybe there's a better method).

As ever, bake it until you're happy with it. I cooked mine for longer.

Finally I topped it with a chicken tikka masala...

simplyrecipes.com/recipes/c...

... but sky's the limit as I think that the base should probably take all the usual toppings.

Who'd have thunk it :O

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Weight Loss Plan

Join over 40,000 others on our 12-week diet and exercise plan. Keep motivated to develop healthier eating habits & get more active.

Get Started!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

5 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I think I'll try that - what an interesting idea! Did the base stick together enough to cut it up pizza-wise?

• Yes it did. Not as strong as ordinary dough so you have to be a bit gentle with it. I guess the over riding factors would be, how many eggs used, how thick you make it and probably how long you cook it for.

• Cool! I love an experiment!! And love cauliflower. Thanks forssharing!

• That is one of the reasons this forum is so great👍 There are so many good ideas floating around🏆 Have a great day Tiggerr

• This looks really good Tiggerr, will have a go at this:)

You may also like...