Calorie Question

hi folks,having logged my cals on myfitnespal since Friday im now wondering what most people do with regards calories burned through exercise......initially id disregarded them, Ie my allowance is 1750 and even if id burned an extra 300 I still would only eat 1750. Having played about with the NHS BMI calculator now I'm not sure if I should be eating a little more to compensate?

day 5 and I'm still feeling positive although I feel starving today for some reason! Trying to top up on fruit!๐Ÿ™ˆ

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Weight Loss Plan

Join over 40,000 others on our 12-week diet and exercise plan. Keep motivated to develop healthier eating habits & get more active.

Get Started!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

10 Replies

oldest โ€ข newest
  • Have you got your calorie range from the NHS BMI calculator, or from mfp, mcc?

It makes a difference, because the NHS calculator takes your exercise into account and you don't need to add to it. Mfp is stingy with calories, but over-generous with what it awards exercise, so it's a bit of a gamble. My advice would be to get your calorie allowance from the NHS calculator and ignore the exercise calories mfp awards.

If you're hungry, eat something! Eating more fruit will make you feel hungrier, try something that has more fat in it and less sugar, because that will be more satisfying. A cup of coffee with cream and half an avocado would be a good top up, or a handful of macadamias :)

• I've taken the lower end of the NHS cals and did an override of the cals MFP gave me. I see what you're saying about the exercises and it could lead you to over eat if you take them at face value.

I think ill stick to NHS and purely use MFP as a calculator.

thanks for reply......i always think of snacking on fruit but will def consider alternatives that will be more filling, who wouldn't want some nuts! (ok if you've an allergy that would be a bad idea! But you get my drift!)

• I always advise eating as many calories as you can, while still losing weight, or it becomes very difficult, the lighter you get!

• Yes, I agree with Moreless, MFP is a bit mean with the calories and it's very difficult to estimate exercise calories ๐Ÿ˜•

If you're hungry, eat, and try to stick to protein or fat, hummus/boiled egg/nuts etc ๐Ÿ˜Š

If it's just appetite then distraction helps ๐Ÿ˜Š

• thank you I must stock up on the hummus ๐Ÿ˜

• And carrots and celery ๐Ÿ˜Š

• yes to the carrots. No to the celery!๐Ÿ˜‚

• Hehehe ๐Ÿ˜‚ You sound like my hubby! Hates celery

• My advice would be the same as that of moreless :-) But sometimes I do add a little extra - like a banana or something - on running days because 15 km can be very tiring if I am not properly fueled :-) But as a rule, I only do it if I run longer distances than 10 km.

• I lost most of my weight by using MFP and eating exercise calories, but I lost very slowly ( which I now realise was a good thing) taking 11 months for 2st. to a healthyBMI 24.

I still love MFP for my maintenance, but I now know that MFP exercise calculations aren't very accurate. So unless you connect your fitbit or similar , I'd advise not to eat back MFP exercise calories . ( from memory, on MFP goal settings I'm pretty sure you can elect to switch off "adding exercise calories to your calorie total".)

Basically, whichever method or website you use, you need to net 25% less than your TDEE for weightloss, so as long as you recalculate this as you get smaller, the weightloss should continue slowly and steadily... and thats the best way for longterm success.

You may also like...