Lifestyle Change H E L P

Hello everyone!

I was a regular here this time last year but things changed a lot and I'd love to get some advice.

I got to my goal weight and then some last Summer by couch 2 5K, calorie counting and using a fitbit. Though I was really impressed with my weight, I wasn't 'happy' as my strength was still non existent and my life was obsessed around calorie counting and burning them off.

Since then my weight has been going up and down and I have since put on about two stone, I don't know exactly as I daren't weigh myself. I am not at all obese or completely unfit and I am still not at the weight I started at so I know I can still pull it back and by August could be at a healthy weight again!

I'm finding it even harder at the moment as I am job hunting so most of my days are spent at home.

Exercise wise I used to really enjoy running but the motivation and confidence to go outside isn't there, not yet any how. I have a basic bike machine at home but it won't let me go at the speed I regularly cycle and I will join a gym once I'm in work as I would want to use the treadmills, weights etc. I have looked at the 30 day shred on youtube and I do have a dog that needs walking but maybe I just need to help myself to run again, and start over with the app...

In terms of the food, I know what I should and shouldn't be eating but it's easier said than done. I just don't know whether counting calories is the healthiest way for me to lose the weight again, as my OCD can take over in a bad way, but it does have good results and this time I'd know when to stop. Likewise I live with my mum who does the shopping and therefore wonder whether to start buying separate food (she goes to the gym and basically lives off chicken) so then I can cook and freeze meals etc and have calorie appropriate snacks...

Help, motivation or advice would be received greatly and if you've read this far then thank you!

Hannah

Last edited by
Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Weight Loss Plan

Join over 40,000 others on our 12-week diet and exercise plan. Keep motivated to develop healthier eating habits & get more active.

Get Started!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

7 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Welcome back, Han :)

I'm going to give you all the newbie information and I'd like you to take the time to read through everything suggested, as a motivational and inspirational tool. There's a great deal of experience and expertise to be got from this community and you need to immerse yourself in it, to reap the benefits.

Take a look at the Pinned posts section to the right of your screen (bottom if you're using a mobile), read the Welcome Newbie thread, then move through to the challenges, where we hope you'll find at least one that will appeal to you.

Move down to the Topics, to find a variety of threads, collated into specific topics for ease of access and we ask that you also 'file' your own threads, so that others won't miss your important news.

Take a look at the NHS 12 week plan, as a lot of people have been successful with it, making sure to enter your details into the BMI calculator, to get a calorie allowance tailored to your personal requirements. Don't forget to take your starting measurements and a 'before' picture, as they can be very motivating on days that the scales refuse to co-operate.

We run daily weigh-in's and you'd be very welcome to join us. The threads can always be found in the Events section, to the right of the HOME page, bottom on a mobile.

We also run a Daily Diary, where we share our meal and exercise plans for the day. It's a great place to get ideas and to keep us focused. The link can also be found in Events.

Be aware, that the HU app doesn't give you access to all of our important features, so we advise that you use the full website page.

We've found that to get the best out of this community, we need to be active on the forum, as it's where we exchange information, get motivation and inspiration and make friends. We hope that you'll join us here, regularly, too.

It's only left for me to wish you well on your journey :)

• Thank you! :)

• Just wanted to say 'Welcome back' Hannah. :-)

• Hello and welcome back han_ingham 😊

Well done realising where you have made mistakes, in fact, it's not a mistake if you have learned from it 😊

Have a good read, take a deep breath, plan tomorrow's meals and maybe a short walk this evening, then post on the Daily Diary and you will sleep like a log, satisfied that you have achieved something 😊 Every day is another chance to get it right. Seizing control will be empowering. You've done it before so you know you can do it again. 😊

Very best wishes

Anna

• Thank you!

• Hello Hannah,

Having read your post, I’d say that the motivation certainly exists; a little helpful guidance is all that’s needed to ensure you don’t repeat what you did last year.

Despite your OCD, knowing roughly how many calories the body requires on a daily basis allows respective goals to be achieved, whether it be to reduce weight or maintain it, so don’t necessarily view calorie counting as a negative.

In order to reduce body fat percentage, you need to know how many calories the body requires on a daily basis to maintain current weight, since it’s from this figure that a daily deficit is maintained throughout your weight loss journey.

Firstly, you need to ascertain how many calories are required to satisfy BMR (basal metabolic rate), since BMR is multiplied by a certain figure to obtain TDEE.

In any event, you should always aim to ensure that sufficient calories are consumed on a daily basis to satisfy BMR, since doing so allows metabolism to continually fire, encouraging steady and sustained loss of fat and not muscle.

If you’ve not already done so, I’d suggest using the BMI calculator, to ascertain minimum/maximum recommendations, based upon current measurements and level of activity.

Alternatively, the following formula can be used to ascertain BMR and TDEE (Miflin St. Jeor method).

Women: 9.6 x weight (in KG) + 6.25 x height (in cm) – 5 x age – 161 = BMR.

Having obtained BMR, multiply it by one of the following to ascertain TDEE: Sedentary = 1.2, Lightly Active = 1.375, Moderate Activity = 1.55, Heavy Activity = 1.75, Athlete = 2.

On the assumption that your new job (congratulations again) isn’t physically demanding and that you take up running again/include resistance training on rest days, multiply BMR by 1.55.

Having obtained TDEE, seek to maintain a daily calorie deficit of up to 500Kcal, ensuring that the deficit doesn’t exceed the difference between BMR and TDEE (to keep metabolism firing).

With each 7-10lb reduction in weight, re-calculate BMR & TDEE, since the body will require fewer calories to satisfy both. Doing so reduces the risk of plateau, while also promoting far greater natural re-adjustment of hormones that control hunger and satiety (ghrelin and leptin).

Since you may only have two stone to lose, as goal weight approaches, you may find that a daily deficit of 500Kcal cannot be sustained. This isn’t necessarily an issue; it simply means that a smaller calorie deficit needs to be maintained each day.

Granted, weight loss may slow a little, but by maintaining a daily deficit of up to 200Kcal (from TDEE), a weekly loss of up to 1lb could still be enjoyed, particularly if running distance/intensity has increased.

As for nutrition, while chicken remains important for helping to maintain existing muscle mass (important when in deficit), it’s certainly not the only form of protein.

While everyone has their own opinion upon the optimum split between the respective macronutrients, it’s important that you find one that best supports individual goals. However, since you’re attempting to maintain existing muscle mass while in deficit, I’d recommend that protein accounts for 30% of daily intake.

As for the remaining 70%, it’s entirely up to you how it’s split between carbohydrate and fat.

• Thank you so much :)

You may also like...