Larger than life vegetarian

Hi there!

Weight loss, Urgh, how hard is that?! I'm 25 and 8 months ago I got a new job. A job where I spend a lot of time on my bum, which of course has become larger! I've gained around a stone in that time and my Bmi has crept up to an unhealthy number.

I used to spend my whole day on my feet working up to 16 hours. Eating meals filled with vegetables. Now I spend 8 hours majority on my bum, I avoid snacks but if you could see how many coffees I drink you'd be shocked!

So as I say I have gained around a stone, which is silly because I wasn't happy with my weight as it was! I will be aiming to loose 2 stone, currently 11 stone 8 (ish) the scales at home and the hospital are very different.. They reckon I'm 11 stone 5 but my scales are adamant that it's not the case! Haha

I have downloaded a 7 minutes A day workout app as well as training with dasi which I found online. They both focus on muscles as apposed to cardiovascular which I enjoy.

I have an exercise bike which I will be using daily for half an hour, I will keep increasing the resistance but never allow myself to feel uncomfortable.

My friends and I enjoy hiking. We regularly partake in 10-15 mile hikes, some rather difficult in regards to the incline. I have asthma and have used this as an excuse previously but I am working through it! Our next hike is 15 miles in the peak district ready for our Ben nevis climb in June. I am hoping to be have a comfortable and enjoyable hike, a lifestyle change should assist.

Dawn my sweet tooth.

Any tips, any meal ideas are all welcome. As I said I am a vegetarian, and a fussy one at that, I don't eat quorn, mushrooms or tofu as I dont enjoy it. Imagine sating out with me eh?

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Weight Loss Plan

Join over 40,000 others on our 12-week diet and exercise plan. Keep motivated to develop healthier eating habits & get more active.

Get Started!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

13 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hello MissHinklepie and welcome to the Weight Loss Forum 😊

A vegetarian diet is generally quite a healthy one, so that will go in your favour. (Especially now that we are no longer advised to give up all shred of fat! ). I love dairy and include plenty in my eating plan, pulses and beans too, are very useful, and can be put into most sound and casseroles. A sweet tooth can be an issue, and we all have different ways of dealing with it, some going completely sugar free, others just having a little now and agin. You will find a solution that suits you best. 😊

Well done on all the walking, as a Derbyshire girl myself I have a soft spot for the Peak District, even though I live a long way away now. Ben Nevis will be an amazing walk for you, my hubby did it for his 50th. 😊

Here are a few suggestions on how to get the most out of the forum. Please note if you are using the new HU App many of these features are not available so I suggest you use the full website version.

The first place to look is at the Pinned posts section to the right of your screen (bottom if you're using a mobile), read the Welcome Newbie thread first and move through to the challenges, where we hope you'll find at least one that will appeal to you ☺

Move down to the Topics, to find a variety of threads, collated into specific topics for ease of access and we ask that you also 'file' your own threads, so that others won't miss your important news ☺

Have a look at the NHS 12 week plan, as many people have had success with it. Also use the BMI checker to find your target calories, it's important to eat enough. This was a major turning point for me, realising I could eat anything I wanted as long as the calories are accounted for ☺

Don't forget to take your starting measurements and a 'before' picture, as they can be very motivating on days that the scales refuse to co-operate ☺

The forum also have group weigh-ins every day, as well as a new Daily Diary, if you wish to take part. The posts can always be found in the Events section on the 'home' page ☺

You'll notice a grey box next to people's names, these are achievement badges, and as a new member you have a 'Newbie' badge. We've found that to get the best out of this community, we need to be active on the forum, as it's where we exchange information, get motivation and inspiration and make friends. We hope that you'll join us here, regularly, too. If you have any questions please just ask ☺

Best wishes

Anna

• Thanks so much for all the tips!

My meals themselves are pretty good, it's that darn sweet tooth. I have spent the last week on a vegan diet, it has minimised my sugar intake, I've had no desserts, chocolates, sweets or ice creams.I hope to keep that going!

• Helllo welcome, guess what I hate tofu too, and most pulses!! I'm trying to eat more veggies too, if forms of meals, and having success, I might make some fafafel balls, and bake them not fry them! There are a few recipes in pinned posts, marked recipes /snacks.

I will endeavour to add my latest butternut squash and chickpea curry , I think it was a tesco or bbc recipe, I added a few cashews tho, it wasn't filling enough before!

Diet does play a bigger part in weight loss, watch out for those extra coffees,lattes or whatever , personally I drink mine black so no temptation there!

Good luck and plan, its a tough journey at times!

• I am a veggie as well- how do you like (or not) soya? Tesco do vegetarian sausages, hotdogs and burgers made from soya or wheat. I'm sure other superstpres have their own version. I tend to use meat recipes (curries, tomato based sauses) and exchange the meat for quorn or soya chunks or mince. Roast veg (I tend to use 1/2 of the recommended oil in recipe and thoroughly mix so everything is coated) and couscous, is another alternative- as long as you have access to a microwave.

• I'm basically a meat eater, soya is not really me, so I try to add in more fish, more dairy, not a milk drinker either!

I just add a few veggie meals to my current food plans

• So for me texture is a massive issue, I've tried so many different soy based products and I just can't deal with them. I'm a very pinky eater! Haha

I tend to do the meal without the meat, haven't had cous cous for a long time, may have to give it another go!

• Baked falafel salad is such a favorite of mine, and home made is so much better! I'm also a massive fan of risotto you can sneak so many veggies in and make it very tasty without the cheese :)

I'll have to go and have a look at those recipes, my biggest sin is buying lunch at work.

I can't handle black coffee but have started to have juice instead of coffee where possible. Limiting to 2 white coffees a day

• Hi MissHinklepie its not always easy being a vegetarian when you can't get on with a lot of the vegetarian staples, I don't eat meat ( but do eat some fish), but have an intolerance to quite a lot of vegetables and beans which I find quite limiting!

Do you like pulses such as lentils and chickpeas? They are great in soups, stews and curries.

What about quinoa, it's a whole grain as well as a complete protein so a great choice for a vegetarian?

Have you tried different quorn products? I love some of them but some I really don't like the texture so there might be something you can get on with.

I'd be careful of the juice as there is tons of sugar and surprising number of calories, I like juice but I dilute it about 1 part juice to 7 parts water

Good luck 😀

• I have tried chickpeas time and time again in so many forms and I just can get on with them. I'm going to keep trying though there must be something I'll like ha.

Quinoa and lentils, again I keep trying and I just can't. I think food should be enjoyable so I won't force it. One day eh?

Quorn is always a no go for me. Both the texture and taste, my whole life I struggled to eat meat mostly due to taste.. Like I said I'm an ass to eat out with! I tend to eat the meal without the meat. I'll get there one day!

• I do a lovely veg casserole , winter veg one it's in pinned posts with recipes /snacks, love it, no pulses just veg!

• Be careful of those juices they can add up, try the veg ones, prob better

• Hi MissHinklepie,

Maybe have a look at the Vegetarian and Vegan pages on NHS Choices for some ideas as well:

nhs.uk/livewell/vegetarianh...

Wishing you success with your goals.

Zest :-)

• Such wise words zest

You may also like...