Just starting

Hi there, I desperately need to lose some weight, I feel so down with it all so I've signed up to this to give it a go! I lost three stone a few years ago with another weight loss group (put most of it back on 😕) but I can't seem to get back on track with it - so I'm going to have a go at calorie counting. I've never done it before but I've checked my BMI and I know what I need to do. Feeling motivated which is good!

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Weight Loss Plan

Join over 40,000 others on our 12-week diet and exercise plan. Keep motivated to develop healthier eating habits & get more active.

Get Started!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

12 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi and welcome, Clark :)

Take a look at the Pinned posts section to the right of your screen (bottom if you're using a mobile), read the Welcome Newbie thread, then move through to the challenges, where we hope you'll find at least one that will appeal to you.

Move down to the Topics, to find a variety of threads, collated into specific topics for ease of access and we ask that you also 'file' your own threads, so that others won't miss your important news.

Make sure to enter your details into the BMI calculator, to get a calorie allowance tailored to your personal requirements. Don't forget to take your starting measurements and a 'before' picture, as they can be very motivating on days that the scales refuse to co-operate.

We run daily weigh-in's and you'd be very welcome to join us. The threads can always be found in the Events section, to the right of the HOME page, bottom on a mobile.

We also run a Daily Diary, where we share our meal and exercise plans for the day. It's a great place to get ideas and to keep us focused. The link can also be found in Events.

Be aware, that the HU app doesn't give you access to all of our important features, so we advise that you use the full website page.

We've found that to get the best out of this community, we need to be active on the forum, as it's where we exchange information, get motivation and inspiration and make friends. We hope that you'll join us here, regularly, too.

It's only left for me to wish you well on your journey :)

• Thank you so much for replying! Its given me a boost, looking forward to reading everything. Much appreciated ☺

• I hope you'll be very happy with us, Clark :)

• I'm a newbie too, desperate to shift some weight

• Hi Clark

You've made a good start by coming here and great progress by knowing what you have to do. I'm also following a calorie controlled diet which is my own version where I don't measure everything, I mainly guesstimate, have cut out sugar foods and watch portion size. It's going great.

You can do this. Good luck. 😀

• Hi thanks for your reply, I'm guestimating too, think I've had 1275 cals today! Great to hear its working for you keep going x

• 1275 sounds ok, I guesstimate anywhere up to 1500 and it seems to work really well, providing I leave the sugar foods alone! It's certainly making me feel great as well, so I hope you find the same benefits 😀

• Hi just be careful you are eating enough calories since if you aren't your body thinks you be starved and turns all the calories into fat so you don't loose weight and may actually put it on. Give it couple of weeks if you don't loose anything increase your calories to 1400 a day which is what is recommended for women on their weight loss plan and I think its 1600 for men

• Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it. I've had about 1350 today but generally kept at 1250 / 1300. I weigh on Monday so ill see how it goes. If I exercise do I need to add those burned calories?

• I don't take into account the amount of calories burnt in exercise since a) slowing down weight loss b) you may over estimate how many calories you have burnt off and eat more than you should. I like to try and keep things simple!

I have focused on calories rather than the amount of protein, carbs and fat I am having in a day, but plan to focus on that once I reach my target weight.

I have found a good website which is easy to understand which I have found useful to work out what my calories should be to maintain and how much to reduce it by to loose weightt. If I eat over the 1400 cals recommended by the NHS weight loss plan as long as I am under the lower end of the recommended daily calories I am ok with it!

acaloriecounter.com/diet/ca...

• Hi there,

Seems like we have something in common,. I lost 2stone 2 years ago,. Put it all back on i am afraid,. I need to get back into a 12 week plan with no alcohol at all,. I will do it but i just for some reason keep failing after a few days,. We should both keep on trying,. We have done it before & will do it again,. We have each other or motivation.

Good luck💁

• I'm just the same, I'm ok at the beginning of the week and by then end of it... its all gone pear shaped. I think I was bored of my last eating plan, least with calorie counting its quite free as long as you stick within the limits. I'm still feeling motivated today, hope you are as well? I'm loving this forum ☺

You may also like...