Any fellow Coeliacs? (Or Gluten intolerant?)

Hello, I was just wondering if there are any other Coeliacs here? I was diagnosed as a baby, but it was never really understood, so as a teenager I was very off-diet, and now as an adult struggle with lots of issues because of the damage caused, I wondered wether anyone one else struggles with a low metabolism, blood-sugar problems, and that 'constant hunger' feeling, and if they feel it is a big contributor to weight struggles?

Also, how others manage rushed meals, etc? - as the bread is SO high in calories, I can't bear to waste my allowance on it, and struggle allot when out, and my family can just grab things, and I end up eating high-calorie rubbish as there is nothing suitable!!

Sorry if this is quite rambling, I am just interested if there are fellow Coeliacs out there! :)

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Weight Loss Plan

Join over 40,000 others on our 12-week diet and exercise plan. Keep motivated to develop healthier eating habits & get more active.

Get Started!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi Victoria-Anne,

I'm afraid I'm not gluten intolerant, but thought you may like to join this community, for specific assistance :)

healthunlocked.com/glutenfr...

• Hi yes im a coeliac and i understand ,i was diagnosed 9 years ago i am now 54 years,it came as a shock as i was in my 40s and never expected that all the problems i was having was down to that,and yes all i could ever think of to eat when out was a banana or a jacket potato,i have put on nearly 2 stone since being diagnosed,and i am prediabetic my blood sugars are too high,and i am finding it a struggle to lose any weight,i still struggle when on the go like you as there are not many options,a lot of the stuff for coeliacs are way over priced for what you get,im not being much help really as i too have not found many options when out for the day ,what to eat is tough,if you make sandwiches and take them with you ,coeliac bread does not travel well,it either ends up rock hard or crumbling into bits,all i can say is good luck fellow coeliacs and keep well

• Hi Victoria-Anne. Yes, I and two of my sons can't eat gluten, and I totally sympathise with what you're saying about availability of food - although it has improved hugely in the few years since we were diagnosed. M&S have a good range of sandwiches, wraps and salads - in SOME stores - but as with everywhere else, it varies so much from one store to another. So many places seem to think that, if they do a gluten-free chocolate brownie, that will cater for any possible need a coeliac could have!

I hardly ever take gluten-free bread anywhere (I mostly only eat it as toast because it's so dry), but tend to keep raw almonds in my bag to stave off hunger if I'm caught out - those and a banana (or a latte, if you're really struggling) will get you through a lot. The Nakd and Eat Natural bars are more readily available these days, and at least have some decent nutritional value even if lots of calories, and I'm increasingly seeing crisps made with lentil, chickpea or marrowfat peas, too, which again have a bit more nutritional value, a bit less fat, and are a bit more filling. But if I'm taking a lunch somewhere, I take a big salad! The Systema (is that what they're called?) pots include one with a teeny pot to put (low fat!) dressing in, and by the time you've chowed through a big bowl of grated carrot, chickpeas, salad leaves, peppers, grated fennel bulb and cucumber (or whatever), you're ready for anything. The main issue with it all is the amount of time it takes to prepare, and the fact that it feels pretty unfair when your friends and family can walk in anywhere and pick something up without even thinking about it, but once you get over that, it isn't so bad.

And think how much easier it is to resist the temptation of tucking into a sticky cake with your bestie, when it's not only going to break your diet but make you feel horribly ill too! (Yup, it's true, I can find the good in ANYTHING!)

• Hi Victoria Anne I'm not coeliac or gluten intolerant but part of my weight loss journey involved working out some food intolerance issues, starting with a year going wheat and dairy free, and now I'm dairy free and low wheat. I've found the following useful for packed lunches/quick snacks. Firstly always carry those little packets of oat crackers (is there a gluten free version of these?) Then if you get caught short you can always get a tub of houmus or a salad and salmon based lunch box and have it with the crackers. Next I make my own deli style packed lunches. I pre-boil brown rice, green lentils etc and freeze in small pots. Things like roast veg/butternut squash can be made in bulk and frozen in portions too. Then take one of each out of the freezer, add a boiled egg/mackerel/humous and a few leaves and it all defrosts nicely by lunchtime :)

You may also like...