Possible to lose 2 stone in 3 months?

Hello, my name is Goldie and I am a 47 year old mother of two, currently I weigh 10.9 stone for my 5ft 6 height. I've heard that this is a healthy weight for my height but I certainly do not feel that way. A couple of years ago I must have weighed around 9.7 stone and In that time I was the most confident I'd ever been. Since then my diet has gone downhill and I don't do much vigorous exercise. Now I've booked my family holiday for end of July and it's alarmed me as to how bad I'm looking. I've started cycling weekly and walking everywhere that I can. But a main problem for me is my diet. I don't know what to change, and I don't know if I could stick to it, if anyone has any help/ideas please let me know. I'm hoping to post weekly on here to let everyone know how I'm doing and it will also hopefully keep me motivated!

Last edited by
Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Weight Loss Plan

Join over 40,000 others on our 12-week diet and exercise plan. Keep motivated to develop healthier eating habits & get more active.

Get Started!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

14 Replies

oldest β€’ newest
  • Well if you felt happy at 9 stone 7 why do you want to lose 2 stone now? I would aim for that weight again as that seems to be your opportune one. Don't forget when you get a bit older being too thin can make you look drawn and older than you are.

• Thank you for your reply! To be honest I'm not that concerned about physical weight loss as such, if I feel comfortable and happy losing those pesky 9 pounds I might just stick with that! But in the long term I want to lose at least a stone and keep it off, because every other time I've lost weight it's been put back on almost immediately, I think that is what I struggle with.

• Hello Goldielocks15 and welcome to the Weight Loss Forum 😊

You are very sensible to tackle your weight before it becomes a bigger issue. As we age our bodies do change and seem to cling to fat, especially around our middles! As you have a healthy BMI it perhaps is a question of eating healthily and improving exercise.

Healthy eating is such a wide ranging topic it is quite difficult decide what this entails. Have a look at the NHS Eatwell plate for general guidance. Increasing fresh foods such as fruit and vegetables also helps. With regards to shape, exercise helps, as does eating less sugar and carbohydrates as these foods have been connected to midriff fat gain. πŸ˜•

Here are a few suggestions on how to get the most out of the forum. Please note if you are using the new HU App many of these features are not available so I suggest you use the full website version.

The first place to look is at the Pinned posts section to the right of your screen (bottom if you're using a mobile), read the Welcome Newbie thread first and move through to the challenges, where we hope you'll find at least one that will appeal to you 😊

Move down to the Topics, to find a variety of threads, collated into specific topics for ease of access and we ask that you also 'file' your own threads, so that others won't miss your important news 😊

Have a look at the NHS 12 week plan, as many people have had success with it. The associated BMI checker will not suggest target calories as you have a healthy BMI, but it's important to have some awareness of calories. 😊

Don't forget to take your starting measurements and a 'before' picture, as they can be very motivating on days that the scales refuse to co-operate 😊

The forum also have group weigh-ins every day if you wish to take part. The posts can always be found in the Events section on the 'home' page 😊

You'll notice a grey box next to people's names, these are achievement badges, and as a new member you may have a 'Newbie' badge. If you have any questions or would like a Newbie badge please just ask 😊

We've found that to get the best out of this community, we need to be active on the forum, as it's where we exchange information, get motivation and inspiration and make friends. We hope that you'll join us here, regularly, too 😊

Best wishes

Anna

• Thank you, I'm going to continue my exercises, but it will be extremely difficult to cut out sugar as I do have my cravings! Do you have any suggestions as to how to do this? Is there any energy alternatives as I'm afraid I'll be tired and sluggish without that little extra boost!

• Sugar really is a difficult one, you don't actually need it, it has no benefit to the body whatsoever πŸ˜• However, when we get tired, stressed or emotional our brains are hot wired to make us crave calorie dense food like sugar . . . And so goes the cycle.

Eating enough, avoiding getting too hungry, especially eating more, and earlier in the day, prevents the late afternoon sugar lows that lead to cravings.

Some people can cope with just small amounts of chocolate etc but I cannot stop so I prefer to avoid completely.

At the end of the day we have an amount of calories to 'spend' and how we choose to spend them is up to us and individuals. 😊

Good luck 😊

• I agree with lilaclil. Go for what you know is achievable. It might just be possible to lose two stone in three months, but that way of life is not sustainable. A sensible weight loss is 1-2 lb per week. So assuming you had good weeks and less focussed ones, like we all do, or life just gets in the way, as it does, you might lose around 15-20lb in 12 weeks. That would be realistic. If you do the NHS 12 week plan, you will get back into good, healthy eating habits, and that will help you feel great, not just because you are losing weight, but also because healthy eating is good for you! So give it a go, and let us know how you are getting on. 😊

• Thank you for your reply! I'm definitely going to focus on healthy eating as I believe it is not only beneficial for my weight but for my overall health. I will continue to exercise , and I'm at least going to try the 12 week plan. I will keep you all posted and hopefully it will pay off, I can't wait to finally look good on holiday again!

• Hi Goldilocks15

I am the same height as you but heavier at 10 stones 12lbs (but older too) I would like to get to 9 stones 12 pounds but would settle for 10 stones! I am going to struggle to get beyond the plateau I hit at 10st 4 so will need help with that. I know what you mean about confidence thing though.

• Porridge is good for you, Goldilocks! 🐻

• Haha! I've been told that a lot surprisingly!!

• Hi, I am a similar height to you and 11stone. Like you I don't need to lose too much weight (in the scheme of things) but you may need to revise the time scale a little. I have tried increasing my exercise by walking to work and joining the local leisure centre (I have discovered the joys of aqua jog)! So far I've lost 4llbs in approx a month and have found it very hard going despite being careful. The only advice I can give is watch the portion sizes; I tended to pile plates up with food rather than offering smaller portions and then giving the family a chance to help themselves to extra if they want it. I'm sure you will have lost some weight by the time your holiday comes around and hopefully feel more confident too.

• Hi Goldilocks - I'm also 5'6" but big build, broad shoulders etc, so the skinniest I've ever been since age 14 was 10 stone and a size 12. Now I'm 45 and after having kids had crept up to over 12 stone and a size 16. Since January I've lost 9 Kg (a stone and a bit) and am back down to a comfortable 14, size 12 in some things, so I'm really happy with that, and will just keep on a bit more, then switch to maintenance. No point getting skinnier than is healthy for your build because it makes you look older!

I don't feel hungry any more - my appetite has adjusted to smaller portions. I feel like this is sustainable, and that brings me on to my advice for you.

Try the NHS 12-week plan for a month. Give it a proper go - download the MyFitnessPal app to help you count calories. I found that a few weeks of careful calorie counting helped me to understand what was really going on and you may also find that when you've got the hang of it, you don't need to count everything for long. But do it properly at first. You have a calorie budget; spend it wisely! I've always been a big eater, love my grub, and particularly craved carbs like cakes and bread. I realised that bread (even wholegrain) is really just sugar stretched out a bit. Your saliva breaks the starch down into maltose (a sugar) and your stomach acid breaks that down into glucose, so 10 minutes after you've eaten bread or rice, your body has received sugar. To get that feeling of fullness and satisfaction without the sugar, you need to eat more things which don't break down into sugar and pad it out. Wholegrain cereals add fibre to make you feel full, but the other elements in it still break down into sugar. For many of us, when we eat carbs, we immediately crave *more* carbs, hence bingeing on cakes, bread etc. However, veg contains lots of cellulose, which we can't digest, so that makes you feel full up without adding many calories. Personally I love a big salad with some low - cal dressing and some feta cheese on top, plus pickled beetroots on the side - really fills you up as a starter so that you don't want to pig out afterwards,and has very few calories depending on how much dressing and cheese you add.

Veg soup is great as it really fills you up and gives loads of fibre. I like the tomatoes and lentil fresh soups which most supermarkets sell in the chiller. Half a pot is only about 150 cals and keeps me feeling full for hours; I don't have bread with it. If you like it spicy, add chili sauce - spicy food somehow tricks your brain into feeling full.

For a sweet tooth, treat yourself to grapes or other fruits. Fruits do contain sugar but there is so much water and fibre in there that a lot of sweetness is stretched out over relatively few calories. If you want to splash out, M&S do lovely fruit salads and calorie-counted salads, snacks etc which really fill you up.

Low-cal yoghurts are another sweet treat : there are some delicious ones around which give you a lovely flavour for only 100 calories or so. I like Activia but can't stand the Weight Watchers ones.

Protein doesn't usually trigger cravings and makes you feel full, so that's another way to eat well. Eg a poached egg on one slice of wholegrain toast.

You only need to lose 1 stone, from what you've said, and you may well be able to do that very comfortably over 3 months. Crash weight loss, where you go super-low-calorie, is a problem because it's not sustainable ; people tend to put it all back on. It's better to move to a long-term eating style that will work for you.

Good luck. There are some truly inspirational people on here who have a lot of weight to lose and who have really stuck at it. They have their ups and downs but they keep going.

• Such good advice cornucopia55!πŸ‘

• I'm a newbie here and am similar in age to you Goldielocks. I've noticed I need to eat a lot less than say 20 years ago. Something happens in peri and post menopause too that keeps the weight on for lot of women; something to do with oestrogen being stored in stomach fat cells I think - so nature gives you that tummy tire. I not only need to eat less (hard when you really love your food) but I'm probably more sedentary if I'm honest. So for me at least it's about getting out and exercising but more importantly calorie counting and portion control - tough combo heh?

You may also like...