hello everyone

Hi all i'm Jo, Ive just signed up determined to become lighter and healthy again. I am not mobile at present due to a broken ankle, and I have eaten lots of poor choices in food which has got worse since my injury. I normally dog walk to keep fit so i am going stir crazy at the moment. Hoping to keep logging on for some uplifting posts from you all who are on the same journey.

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Weight Loss Plan

Join over 40,000 others on our 12-week diet and exercise plan. Keep motivated to develop healthier eating habits & get more active.

Get Started!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

9 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi space2cat76

Welcome to the weight loss forum. Sorry to hear you have broke your ankle, hope you recover soon.

Take a look at the Welcome Newbie post in the Pinned post section at the right hand side or at the bottom if your on a mobile. Have a look at the nhs 12 week plan, many members have had success following this plan. Use the BMI checker to work out your daily calorie allowance.

Below the Pinned posts are the Topics where members share a range of weight related subjects.

Take your measurements at the start together with a photo so you can see the changes on the days the scales don't move.

We have daily weigh ins so why not come along and join us. You can find the weigh ins on the Home page in the Events section on the right. Just click on the post in Events and record your start weight and any loss/gain or maintain for the week.

To get the most of the forum be active, share tips, recipes and experiences. Read some of the posts they are very motivating.

Have a good first week.

Rose

• Wow that was quick xx

• Thank you Rose looking forward to starting this journey x

• Hi and welcome, how long before you will be able to use the ankle? We do tend to make bad choices when we are unable to do much, I think it's just easy options and boredom.

But you have found a very supportive forum here, we help, encourage and sympathize, there's challenges you can join in, tips on healthy eating, weigh in's and lots more.

Check out the pinned posts.

Someone from admin will welcome you properly shortly

Good luck

Kat xx

• hi Kat, So glad i have joined the forum. Been busy on my mobile whilst waiting for yet another cast today. Back again tomorrow for check , another 3 weeks in cast then x ray. A tad frustrated but food intake has been a lot healthier today. This forum has some great advice

Jo x

• Hi - I am also fairly new on here and I broke both my ankles back in August. So completely feel your pain. I was v conscious from the beginning of how easy it would be to gain weight - I was already three stones heavier than I should be after a period of putting on weight quickly because of various other health problems and a combination of medication, limited exercise and as katmt says poor choices and comfort eating.

So in my entirely immobile/wheelchair/a few small steps months I just focused on not putting on weight. Made easier because I was entirely reliant on my husband who was pretty strict with me! Over the last couple of months I decided that, as part of the process of beginning to feel like me again (after a few years of illness followed by immobility you can lose your sense of self), I would lose weight. I'm still very limited in what I can do physically so this has to depend mostly on calorie reduction. I use hypnotherapy CDs at night - difficult to say whether they are working, though, apart from the temptation of wine, I have found it pretty easy to reduce my food intake so perhaps they are. They also help me to sleep, which before, even with morphine I had found difficult.

But as I started physio in ernest after Christmas I've put my exercises together into a 15 minute programme which I try to do faithfully every day. That may not sound like much and if I am having a hydrotherapy session that's half an hour, but for me doing too much would exacerbate swelling and pain and set me back. Have you started physio yet? We tried a warm- up on an exercise bike at the hospital gym, which I really liked as it's not weight bearing and I can't tolerate standing for more than a couple of minutes. So I've borrowed one from a friend and use it every day - definitely worth a try when you are ready.

Good to hear from you and would be good to keep in touch with a fellow ankle-breakee.

• Hi thank you for the warm welcome and very useful advice. At the moment im on week four of being in cast, been today and spent a great time looking on this site whilst waiting in A&E. Got another 3 weeks then x ray. Reading your post I can so relate to the journey that you are taking with your health and weight loss. I like yourself have other problems and walking was my way to exercise, on a good day health wise i was managing over ten thousand steps a day. On a positive note I did weigh myself with the help of hubby last night and although i need to loose 3 stone I am no heavier than before my injury. Couldn't believe it. I have eaten so much better today I think its the support It makes a huge difference. Good luck with the continued journey Would like to keep in touch.

Jo x

• I know the pain of a broken ankle. I was overweight enough when it happened to me, and, like lolacat I was reliant on husband etc to provide me with food, and I have to say that I did reduce my portions significantly, and had a bowl of fruit, no snacks, within reach. I can't say I kept that up when I was moving again - but that was some time before I came here for help.

I am sure you will be having a look round here at some of the meal and snack suggestions, which you can have - there are lots of tasty, filling ideas you could use.

As for the stir crazy bit, certainly coming on here and chatting will keep you out of lots of mischief :D Apart from that, I am not sure what hobbies you have? As I have had one or two periods of enforced idleness in my life, I tend to surround myself with lots of things to do, and make sure I don't do any of them for more than an hour. So for me there were books, music, TV downloads, knitting, crafts, letters, paperwork ...... And I was told by the hospital to move every so often - so I just made sure I took advantage of that.

And, as I have two dogs, I enjoyed my time with them, and if you go on line there are masses of suggestions for things you can teach your dog - from a chair. Best of all, I managed to teach one of my dogs to become very enthusiastic about doing the laundry, and I used to throw the washing down the stairs, and my dog would then pick it up and take it all to the washing machine for me. And still randomly appears with items which he thinks need laundering - usually when Mr B has been less tidy than he should have been with is clothes.

• Wow thank you for your reply advice and great inspiration. I have been looking at meal suggestions etc and lots of really useful advice from you all. I am lucky that I craft so cardmaking painting has kept me from going insane on the odd occasion. The forum is so helpful and Im sure coming on here will keep me determined to loose the 3 stone I have regained. Why do we do it. We loose it feel amazing then through all sorts of things that are thrown at us we regain it . On the dog note will try the training I have a westie rescued a year ago he's a cheeky chap.

Jo x

You may also like...