Green gym... sort of

Green gym... sort of

Nom nom nom. The first asparagus poking their little heads up.

I said 'sort of' because the only effort has been to clear the old dried asparagus ,weed the patch (bit of effort maybe) and throw a load of old soil from last year's tomato grow bags.

This year I'm looking forward to these guys so much more than ever before. Last year I wasn't too bothered and after eating them for a few weeks and giving them to friends I let them bolt. NOT this year, no way.

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Weight Loss Plan

Join over 40,000 others on our 12-week diet and exercise plan. Keep motivated to develop healthier eating habits & get more active.

Get Started!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

18 Replies

oldest โ€ข newest
  • OMG, Tiggerr! If they're going to bolt, could you make sure they bolt in my direction!! I LOVE asparagus!! :)

• If I'd have known you last year, you could have had a boat load :) This year I'm going to be one v. greedy, selfish person :) but if anyone wants to pop around for breakfast I'll be happy to share.

• I'm just looking at the bus timetable ;)

• whose closest I wonder you or me moreless ๐Ÿ˜œ

• I suspect it won't be me!! :D

• I'm jealous.. thats all I can say๐Ÿ˜ฃ

I suppose I better add...enjoy๐Ÿ˜

• I've got limited icons, so I'm reduced to *smirk*... and thanks, I suspect I will.

• Bet you've never had two grown women fighting over your asparagus before, have you Tiggerr๐Ÿค”

• I've just checked my list of today's expected new experiences and its definitely not there :)

• M m m m asparagus, then broad beans and peas then, best of all, RUNNER BEANS๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

• Do you grow peas Janecad?

• No,I live in a flat and grow herbs in a box but my father in law was a great gardener,used to love sending the children out to pinch peas ๐Ÿ˜ all veg was picked fresh to cook and we used to pick kale on Xmas morning,quite often shake the snow off ready for lunch .But his runner beans were the best ever. ๐Ÿ˜‹๐Ÿ˜‹

• That sounds great. The only reason I ask about the peas is because the few times I've tried, I never seem to get much of a yield. Ho hum, plenty of other stuff to be getting on with, including the broad beans and runner beans that you mentioned.

• I grow peas, Tiggerr, but on my sandy soil the yield is very erratic. Have you tried mangetout or sugarsnap peas where you eat pods and all? They grow for me and there is more edible stuff to pick. Which reminds me, I had better sow them!

I inherited a few sickly asparagus plants when I took on the allotment but they gave up the ghost on me. Win some, lose some.

Geniii

• You've got a good point geniii and they would be great in salads, stir fries or as a veggy accompaniment. I'll give them a go, thanks.

My asparagus patch is all from seeds from some wild asparagus that were growing randomly around the garden. They were easy to germinate but it took me 5 or 6 years before I harvested the first crop.

• Well done , you. You do have green fingers.

• How exciting ๐Ÿ˜Š Asparagus are so tummy ๐Ÿ˜Š Enjoy

• yum๐Ÿ˜Š

You may also like...