Hello, I thought I say hi to everyone. I am 54 and I need to loose about 6 stone, which is quite daunting. I have some health issues and I am on steroid tablets a lot of the time, which is why I have put on 2 stone in the last few months. I carry the majority of my weight around my tummy and this contributes to me having acid reflux. When I can I go out walking but I need to walk at a steady pace as if I go too quickly my asthma kicks in and I struggle to breathe. Does anyone have any advice on the best way for me to loose the weight. I was thinking of joining slimming world or just calorie counting but I'm unsure of the best way to start. Thank you in advance for your help xx

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Weight Loss Plan

Join over 40,000 others on our 12-week diet and exercise plan. Keep motivated to develop healthier eating habits & get more active.

Get Started!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

14 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hello and welcome 😊

• Hi Tay100

Welcome to the weight loss forum.

Take a look at the "Welcome Newbies" post in the Pinned post section on the right or if on a mobile at the bottom. Have a look at the nhs 12 week plan, many members are having success following this plan. Use the BMI checker to work out your daily calorie allowance.

Below the Pinned posts are the Topics where members share a range of weight related subjects.

Take your measurements at the start along with a photo so you can see the changes on the days when the scales don't move.

We have daily weigh-ins so why not come and join us. You can find the weigh-in on the Home page in the Events section on the right. Just click on the weigh-in and state your starting weight and any loss/gain or maintain over the week.

To get the best out of the forum be active. Share experiences, tips and recipes. Read some of the posts, they are very motivating.

Enjoy your first week.

Rose

• Thank you for your reply, I will read through the pinned posts. I hadn't thought of writing my measurements down that's a great idea.

• Welcome Tay100 you've come to the right place! And, you've already started by coming here! This forum is amazing, the support, the advice, the laughs :D ! I had over 6 stone to lose at the beginning of Jan. Shed 17 lbs so far with eating healthily and counting calories. I use My Fitness Pal to log everything. Also completed Couch to 5K running program last week and can now run for 55 mins, when at first 60 second intervals were a major struggle. My seasonal asthma is the best it's been for years and I haven't used my preventer for a few weeks now. A good teaspoon of bicarb dissolved in a small glass of milk might help the acid. It would be great if you stuck around and weighed in with us, we'd love to hear from you - and we're free :p !...xx

• Wow 17lbs lost, that's amazing. I will try the bicarb in milk I haven't heard of that before. I will also download MyFitnessPal tomorrow and focus on loosing weight, I think it's going to be a long journey but reading though some of the posts on here everyone is so friendly and supportive I think I have found the right group for me xx

• Long journey's are the best ones - especially if you're enjoying them :p ...xx

• That's so nice, it will be a long journey, thank you xxx

• Tay100 welcome. I would say joining the forum is really helpful, everyone is really helpful and people are always willing to give some advice and guidance and you decide what works for you.

I find that inputting my meals (calories) into MyFitnessPal is really useful. I always cook from scratch and avoid refined carbohydrates - but that is just me. Other people do other things.

Try to do what exercise you can, every little bit helps.

I think it is about gradually changing lifestyle rather than being on a diet and for me the weight took a lot of time to accumulate and so I have to give it time to come off slowly as it will have the best chance of staying off.

Good luck with your journey and make it an adventure with food. Try lots of different things and keep coming on the forum to get involved in the conversations and challenges.

No one can lose your weight for you, you have to make the decisions but everybody will be supporting you.

Take care and good luck.

• Thank you for your advice, I am going to start this adventure tomorrow, I will download my fitness pal and I look forward to getting to know everyone on the site over the coming weeks and months xx

• Great news Tay100 welcome aboard, it can be so much fun. There are lovely people on the forum and they really do care.

• Hello and welcome Tay100 😊

• hi and welcome to the forum... we are a lovely bunch on here and always there to support you.. ive tried all the slimming clubs but found this forum the best one yet ! stick with us for a couple of weeks before spending money on clubs and see how you get on ! you could even put the money you would have spent at SW or WW into a pot each week as an incentive to spend when youve lost your 1st goal !

• Hi, I will put the money to one side £5.00 a week will soon add up won't it it's such a good idea thank you xx

• yep... all your doing is going to get weighed and you can do that here with us instead and then spend the money on a nice massage or hair cut .. something just for you to treat yourself xx

You may also like...