Post-eating disorder weight control

Hi all.

Is there anyone on this forum who has recovered from an eating disorder and is now trying to get to a healthy weight and develop a healthy lifestyle?

I have been signed off of an eating disorder service following a second occurance of binge eating disorder at the start of this year.

I need to lose some of the weight that i gained due to the condition as it is causing physical discomfort, but don't really know where to start.

Can anyone advise me please?

Last edited by
Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Weight Loss Plan

Join over 40,000 others on our 12-week diet and exercise plan. Keep motivated to develop healthier eating habits & get more active.

Get Started!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

10 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi and welcome, Ju1ie-Ann :)

I'm afraid I can't help you with your specific question and feel that you should ask your GP/ED service for advice. There is also a community on Health Unlocked that may be able to empathise and assist you

healthunlocked.com/anorexia...

Take a look at the Pinned posts section to the right of your screen (bottom if you're using a mobile), read the Welcome Newbie thread, then move through to the challenges, where we hope you'll find at least one that will appeal to you :)

Move down to the Topics, to find a variety of threads, collated into specific topics for ease of access and we ask that you also 'file' your own threads, so that others won't miss your important news :)

Take a look at the 12 week plan, as a lot of people have been successful with it, making sure to enter your details into the BMI calculator, to get a calorie allowance tailored to your personal requirements. Don't forget to take your starting measurements and a 'before' picture, as they can be very motivating on days that the scales refuse to co-operate :)

We run daily weigh-in's and you'd be very welcome to join us. The threads can always be found in the Events section, to the right of the home page, bottom on a mobile.

We've found that to get the best out of this community, we need to be active on the forum, as it's where we exchange information, get motivation and inspiration and make friends. We hope that you'll join us here, regularly, too :)

It's only left for me to wish you well on your journey :)

• Hi Ju1ie, yes me, long history of binging (comfort eating versus self harm, versus ??Ive coped my way over the years, yo yo yoing dieting. Like most people I have had awful things happen to me through no fault of my own from an early age, to tragedies, so I think that I learnt this overeating habit late teens. When I paid for therapy, while helpful, dug up a can of worms/memorieshad, which I had had no previous recollection of, that I must have blanked out of my mind, until recall during the therapy) and despite these awful memories I soon realised that I would never be able to confront persons responsible, and the realisation, that it was all too late anyway, but still have found these revelations very diff to come to terms with. There are overater anonymous group locally, mainly in a church hall, which I'm reluctant to go to, as I'm not religious, (I have my own spiritual beliefs)I had success and failure with weight loss, WW was not for me or Slimming World. So Ive started here now on 7th week, which ive managed to keep going, and beginning to come to terms with the reality of my situation, I need to lose 5 stone, 1 stone at a time, I need to read other's problems on a daily basis, and I need to stop comfort eating, we are all different, but after this past weeks I'm just beginning to calm down about it, one reason I wouldnot attend a group session, is I do value my privacy, and what I wish to disclose I could not disclose to someone I really trust, and people who have been through similar, and of course its painful recount it all, so perhaps not helpful for me now, and although now I do not feel the personal guilt/depression/,angry with myself, after binging, I'm beginning to be less, .,"beat myself up about it"., when or if I binge, and consequently it reflects any weight loss or gain, I have lost 10lbs. I'm writing down any extra I eat ( binges), to me its like being a carbo-coholic. Its good to text......when I visit WW, they wanted to know if anyone was a "bingers", as it is harder for people that suffer from being a comfort eater. Ican tell you that I'm more active, doing less binges than 7 weeks ago, and my goal is stop all together, and the secret to that is to pre- plan meals for several days ahead, I'm looking for ward to being binge free for 7 days at present I'm up to 4, but I'm working very hard at it, keep calm, I'm able to take each day at a time as I'm 68yrs, fairly active, do essential chores only(housework), keep stress levels low, walk to places, have a swim, Zumba, whats not to like, good luck on YOUR journey too.:)

• I have no personal experience of eating disorders but just want to say what a wonderful, helpful, supportive response. It is because people care about others that this forum works so well. Thank you.

• Hi G you are amazing and I hope you lose the 5st. Little bit at a time. I'm at 30st. - 13lb. I would like to lose 5st - 13lbs. I'm sure I can do this as it will be for the best for me. I binge eat also. Hate myself after. Started in my teens. I grind my teeth and used to bite my inner cheeks. When I was younger I had a special shield for night time. Good luck to everyone who has similar. G56🍀🍀

• Hi, we are not alone on this, thanks for sharing, I feel personally I'm on the 'brink', because bad habits are horrible, difficult but not impossible to break, because I have in the past been successful, in the past, its easier for me to help others than myself. The mind is a complex controller (so to speak), and when I say 'brink' these future weeks are destined to become the weeks that I learn to let go of THE bad habit (overeating), because I believe really, if I stop eating large portions or binging, I will feel differently about life generally, and just maybe life may not be so 'hard, destructive, monotonous, boring, routinee (routiney)unsensational, dull ect ect when the reverse could/maybe true, when my body is receiving 1400 good cals and 4 to 6 pts of fluids between waking up and sleeping. its good to text, I'm unable to write the benefits of losing weight especially 5 stone because its so ...the unknown for me, I'm 5ft 9". at present I'm totally ache and painfree, but I know the score of what my joints have to put up with, but as you know I'm battling this dam lack of motivaton, which like it or not is a daily battle, and finding a new battleplan is what I hoping is going to drop into my mind, in the meantine ive got to find guts, which I am doing daily, stop whinging, just do it, get on with it, but I hate being an automaton, hope I can get it together for tonorrowm 2pm swim like last fri, because its the exercise which I know is doing some good to my joints ect :)

• I ve just noted a recommendation of self help info, for your info its called: "But I Deserve Chocolate" and 50 Ways to Soothe Yourself Without Food by Susan Albers, I intend to buy a copy. :)

• After years of bulimia, I am now scared to lose weight, as the thought and feelings never go away. I am scared of the feelings becoming overwhelming and 'taking' over agin. I really understand your anxiety.

• Like Ceals , I have never suffered with an eating disorder. This forum is wonderful. I'm sure it helps some of us to speak more freely because it is 'faceless', there is nobody here who is going to judge you, most of us are dealing with something or another. It restores my faith in people as the people here are prepared to speak out with their own experiences to help others. I wish you all success and hope you find the support you need here.

• I had bulimia many years ago and have battled binge eating ever since. However, last year I had some grief counselling which ended up more about my eating than my recent bereavement. The therapy was really helpful - mostly because it gave me some time to think (and talk) about myself. I found a book called 'How to stop overeating' by Dr Jane McCartney incredibly useful. There are some exercises in there which help you to understand why you are overeating. For me, I had a couple of lightbulb moments before I'd finished chapter 1.

I won't say I'm cured, I don't think I ever will be, but I am certainly a lot more in control and able to eat healthily most of the time.

Good luck - it's not easy, but it is definitely worth the effort.

Every day is an opportunity to succeed.

• Thank you everyone for your kind words and support. I really appreciate it and will be looking for the books 😉

You may also like...