Why 10,000 steps a day?

A researcher is questioning why we all aim for 10,000 steps a day. I thought it might be interesting to share what he found:

"Turns out in 1960 in Japan they figured out that the average Japanese man, when he walked 10,000 steps a day, burned something like 3,000 calories and that is what they thought the average person should consume. So they picked 10,000 steps as a number."

So there you have it!

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Weight Loss Plan

Join over 40,000 others on our 12-week diet and exercise plan. Keep motivated to develop healthier eating habits & get more active.

Get Started!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

8 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Thank you for that little gem.. I always wondered why 10,000 steps, I have a fitbit although in the past year I have worn it every day I haven't really been motivated to get my 10,000 steps like I did previously, but now I am at the start of my new journey I am going to challenge myself to get back to 10,000 steps at least 5 days a week. :-) and 3,000 calories - WOW - can that be right?

• Hmm, I did 13,362 steps yesterday and only burned 2,545 calories, now I feel cheated lol. I guess it depends what you weigh?

• What you weigh, how fast you walk, and how you get those steps (i.e. sprinting will burn more)

• Not much chance of any sprinting here I'm afraid lol.

• Interesting ☺ Thank you for sharing

• Not sure about the calories burnt.....is that correct? I have made sure I do a minimum of 10,000 steps each day since January. So by this calculation I ought to have disappeared by now, and just be a little pile of dust on the floor.....I can assure you I am most certainly not !!!!

• It's the calories expended through exercise and the ones assumed for BMR based on the info you give your tracker :)

• Not sure, but I guess you also need to make sure you're eating enough calories to cover your exercise. I think I heard you should only eat 500 fewer calories than you burn off through exercise.

You may also like...