Is there a diet for Hypothyroidism

Having been diagnosed with under active thyroid last year and having to take Levothyroxine- I have tried various diets but my weight still remains the same-I would like to lose two stone but have remained the same since been diagnosed. I go Aqua fitness three times a week (an hour each session) and do super hula hoop at least twice a week for half an hour a session. I eat healthily as my husband has Type 2 Diabetes so have to cook carefully and do not eat junk foods. I feel now that cooking has become scientific having to look at Sat Fat, Sugar and salt intake. Whilst my husband loses weight I still struggle despite eating less than him and am constantly counting calories which I feel has become an obsession.

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Weight Loss Plan

Join over 40,000 others on our 12-week diet and exercise plan. Keep motivated to develop healthier eating habits & get more active.

Get Started!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

10 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi Twin-1950 and welcome to the forum.

None of us here are medically trained, so if you are at all concerned about anything, please seek advice from your GP first.

Have a look at this area which is specific to thyroid issues on Healthunlocked healthunlocked.com/thyroiduk

Check out the Welcome Newbies post in the pinned posts section (to the right of your screen on a pc, bottom on a mobile) - this contains some great info for starting out and navigating your way around the site. Then work out your BMI using the NHS BMI calculator - nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Healthyw... and have a look at the 12 week healthy eating plan. Don't forget to sign up for the weekly emails.

Take all of your before measurements and maybe a photo.

We run weigh-ins every day; at the moment Sunday is our least busy day and consider joining some of our challenges as they are fun and motivating.

We also give out weight loss badges and you are welcome to have a Newbie one for the first 12 weeks of your journey if you would like one?

Best of luck and I look forward to seeing you around ☘

• Hi. Have you tried cutting carbs from bread, potato, pasta? It works for me

• My best friend and I both have an under-active thyroid. I am 5 stones overweight and she's as skinny as a carrot. Everyone's different I know, but it surely must be what we shove down our throats that dictates our size...xx

• I'd asked your GP to refer you to a dietician or if your still under the hospital for your hypothyroidism then maybe they can refer you to hospital dietician. I know community dieticians are few and far between

• It might be because you are eating less than him. Are you eating the amount of calories at least that your bmi index tells you to eat between. I used to not eat much because I always thought I would be able to lose weight that way by eating less every time I was on a diet and would always put on weight instead. I was told on here that I have to eat at least the calorie intake it tells you so I decided to try that for 1 month to see if it worked. I am now eating more and losing weight. I love it and have decided to stick to it as it is obviously what u have to do. I can't believe it. Eat more, lose weight. Great.

• You may benefit from seeing a nutritionist - and try to find one who can run blood tests to check for nutritional deficiencies. That is your most likely culprit.

My mum had an underactive thyroid and found Mary J. Shamom's "The thyroid diet" quite helpful. She followed a gluten free diet, which actually allowed her to come off her thyroxin.

• I would second that book. I now take vitamin d and selenium supplements and I think this helps me. I haven't gone gluten free but I have been toying with it for a while now. I have hashimotos, which is autoimmune in nature, you might not ( a simple blood test for antibodies would tell you)

• I had this problem and the doctor suggested I try a gluten and wheat free diet. I had read a lot about this but didn't think it was me. I meet a nice lady in the free from section in a supermarket and she had the same an under active thyroid and had to eat a gluten free diet. She said the two go hand in hand. She also said to watch gluten free stuff as they contain more sugar. Back to the point it worked I lost a stone and a half in like 2 months or so. I feel myself again now! Problem with that is I have also got my appetite back too! So now I have put on half a stone!!! I suppose it also doesn't help having SED (selective eating disorders) I can't eat fruit and veg and I don't eat meat. My doctor suggested juicing so that's what I do! I have 10 different fruits and veggies in a juice every morning which I also use as my breakfast. Hope this helps. Good luck x

• Provided you don't go gluten-free by eating the high-glycaemic, substitute foods. These are a short-term fix that lead to long-term ill-health.

• I mainly just eat the gluten free pasta, crackers, pizza and sometimes biscuits. I make other things from scratch using gluten free flour etc. x

You may also like...