February Foray into Fun and Fitness - Exercise Challenge Week 1

February Foray into Fun and Fitness - Exercise Challenge Week 1

Hello everyone. Right then, let's go!

This challenge is open to everyone. We will be aiming for 150 minutes of exercise every week throughout February. The challenge will start Wednesday 1st February and close Tuesday 28th February. I am posting today to give you some prep time. moreless or YellowRose55 please could you pin for me.

Any exercise can be included, walking, running, swimming, biking, yoga, pilates, strength training, workout dvds, inside, outside, etc. All you need to do is make a note of the minutes you spend each week exercising and post them each Tuesday for the previous week. Please post by 9.00 Wednesday morning latest. I will open a new post each week to avoid overloading the site.

I will hopefully collate some stats (but bear with me on that!!) and attempt a little leader board for those of you who are on the competitive side... Maybe a top 5 or 10 each week.

Some tips to get started:

- plan when you are going to exercise, you will be more likely to stick with it - write it in your diary, put a reminder in your phone, set up a chart or spreadsheet maybe (coloured pens positively encouraged!)

- buddy up with someone where you can

- try incorporating easy exercise into your daily routine - could you walk the school run once a week? Could you pop to the shops on your bike instead of in the car? Could you squeeze a quick walk in during your lunch break?

- do something you enjoy - you will never stick with it if you don't find it fun, interesting or motivating

- if you struggle for time could you break it down - 10 minutes in the morning and 10 in the evening.

- check out this link for more ideas of what you can do and how you can get moving:

nhs.uk/livewell/fitness/Pag...

There are also some great short workouts on YouTube - I found a great beginner, low impact 10 minute workout with BodyFit by Amy

I hope this gives you an incentive to start. We aren't competing against each other, just motivating ourselves to move more.

Good luck for Wednesday and the coming week.

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Weight Loss Plan

Join over 40,000 others on our 12-week diet and exercise plan. Keep motivated to develop healthier eating habits & get more active.

Get Started!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

56 Replies

oldest β€’ newest
  • Hi TheJuggler

Looking forward to joining in with your challenge as I need a good motivator at the moment, so thanks for posting.

I have pinned the challenge for you.

• Thank you!

• Thanks for this. It will get me moving as long as I don't come last! So I start on Wednesday... πŸ‹πŸ½β€β™€οΈπŸ€ΈπŸ»β€β™€οΈπŸŠπŸΌπŸƒπŸΌβ€β™€οΈπŸšΆπŸΌβ€β™€οΈπŸ‘Ÿdoes sex count?

• Ha ha ha! I guess if you want to time it...?!πŸ˜‚

• Not sure it's worth counting the 90 seconds πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‰

• Woohoo, Newbiewl!! I'm all fired up now! :)

I've just done a 3 hour walk! Pity I couldn't add that! :o

We're under starters orders peeps! On your marks............get set.............GO!!! :)

• Fab work! Looks like you will be topping the leaderboard with a warm up like that. Am off to run up and down the stairs for a bit...

• Good for you! Unfortunately, I don't have any stairs! :D

• Hi Newbiewl,

I'm in πŸ˜€

πŸ˜‡

• I'm new to this- do we just post our minutes a week on Wednesday or do we have have to register officially- will a ink show up on Wednesday in the events section of the home page. I've already posted my interest in participating in the challenge- is that all I need to do apart from posting my minutes every Wednesday? One very confused individual!

• Hi. Sorry for the confusion! Yes, all you have to do is start moving on Wednesday 1st and then on Tuesday 7th log your results on the week 1 post. I will post a thread for results next week and then open the next week's challenge. You don't need to do anything or post anything until Tuesday 7th so you are good to go!

• Thankyou mewbiewl. I'm looking forward to taking part. I do a bit of exercise during the week but could do with ramping it up

• Looking forward to this. Tomorrow night I am going to post my Fitbit Active Minutes for the week here, and aim to do more in the first week of the Challenge. πŸ™‚ Plus some.

• Sounds great. I'm liking it

• Really looking forward to this challenge. It's nice to have one that works on exercise time, rather than distance. That way, I can include my physio, which is Pilates-based, as well as exercise that involves moving from A to B.

• I agree. I love yoga and Pilates but you can't rack up much distance with them!

• TheJuggler I would like to join in too please.

• TheJuggler I would like to join in too please. Thanks

• This sounds brilliant TheJuggler thank you, I think this may move me. Well done. I'd love to join.

• Definitely in for that, thank you for the invitation. Walking is all I can do at the moment and I am delighted that it is included in the challenge. It will be great to see how everyone rises to the challenge.

• Hi this sounds great. Please can I be included. Thanks πŸ˜€

• I would love to join in please. Really need some motivation. Retired and live alone so nobody to encourge or hurry me along!

• Well you have at least 50 other people to motivate you now! Hope that helps...

• See you all next tuesday!

• Great challenge TheJuggler ☺

I'm all ready to go ☺together with Itsbab weight loss challenge I will be a gazelle by March 😊😊😊

• Thanks everyone. I should mention I work and have young children so if you don't hear from me I'm not ignoring you! Thanks for supporting my first challenge. Good luck for tomorrow everyone.

• You are welcome TheJuggler ☺ I can pop in and out and give folk a cheer if you like?

• Thank you - multiple cheering would be fab!

• Yes I am up for this challenge great idea may need guidance on posting info C x

• Hi. You don't need to post anything until next week and I will open a results page for posting I think to avoid glitches. You just need to put in total minutes for seven days (today until next Tuesday). You might want to break it down or you can just total it. I will post on the results thread with a format and you can just copy and reply. Good luck!

• I'm in πŸ˜€

• I'm in too ☺

• Morning all. Good luck on the first day of the challenge. Hope you are all off to a flying start. Off to work shortly but back around later. Let's get some minutes under our (ever decreasing!) Belts this week.

• Morning all. I have just checked my Fitbit stats, and my recorded Active Minutes for the last 7 days stands at 132 minutes.

On this occasion, onwards and upwards. :)

All the best to everyone.

• 130 is great but I'm sure you will have no problem smashing 150 minutes! Good luck.

• This is exactly what I need! :D I'm really feeling that old me sparkling away and simmering with that hyper motivation! I would LOVE to join this challenge in conjunction with the one Itsbab is running!

To be clear we just post our exercises and times once a week every Tuesday? This is ideal for me as the other challenge is every Tuesday as is my weigh-in so Tuesdays are going to be 'those days' lol I can't wait to begin!

• Hi Sazkia, yes - challenge weeks run Wednesday to Tuesday (inclusive) so you just need to record any exercise minutes from today and post them next Tuesday evening/Wednesday morning. I will do the stats from that week and continue each week until the end of Feb. Good luck!

• Brilliant, thank you so much for taking the time to do this! :) I feel really motivated and glad to say I already have 55 minutes of walking under my belt today! I'm a little sore as I did a lot of exercise yesterday (before reading this) but laughing because I can't include those minutes in for yesterday! :P I'm definitely going to boxercise tomorrow, that's 45 minutes of very intense exercise! I walk my dog every day so that will count towards my exercise time nicely. Oh yes, this will be fun - I'm just going to put some music on and get exercising now!! :P

• Wow! You are putting me to shame already!! I have a feeling your name will be up on that leaderboard this week...

• I'm certainly going to do the best I can while I'm still motivated! :P I'm sure I won't be at the top, I've read some very impressive posts so far but I aim high! :D Thanks! :)

• Hi am i too late to join in xx

• Not at all. Just start recording any exercise you do from now until next Tuesday and I will post a results page next Tuesday to collate the results. Read the post above for all the info and welcome to the challenge! Good luck.

• thank you will do xx

• Great stuff TheJuggler - just what I need to keep the motivation going through February. Tx for organising a challenge - it is so much more fun doing it with others!

• Not a problem at all. Is definitely making me up my game. I have already convinced the kids that a bike ride and walk over half term is in order to try and keep my minutes up!

• Thanks for the challenge TheJuggler - hoping this will motivate me to be more active every day, rather than putting off exercise until tomorrow... Over and over again!

• I know that feeling! Always hard when the evenings are cold, dark and miserable as well. I much prefer exercising in the morning but not sure work would take that as an excuse...

• Hi,looking forward to starting this challenge. from the states just join nhs weightloss so this will help thanks

• Welcome along and good luck starting your new journey.

• Thank you for that link TheJuggler which I followed and found a really interesting section on research which describes the health hazards of sitting too much (at nhs.uk/Livewell/fitness/Pag... Plus lots of advice on how to get started. I also noted that they emphasis the need for those in their 60s plus to add strength training to aerobic activity - easily overlooked unless you read something like this.

• Glad it was useful. Yes my friend was telling me now we have turned 40 we should be doing a lot more strength training. I'm thinking I might look at a weights programme at the gym but Pilates is also really good. It can really help ward off osteopenia and osteoporosis which runs in my family. Here's to getting stronger and fitter!

• Yup, load bearing exercise wards of osteopenia and osteoporosis, and lowering insulin/insulin-like growth factor levels is vital too. Ron Rosedale relates that an excess of these hormones causes miscommunication of the bone remodelling process.

• Can I do catch up. I am like the coo's tail always last. As long as I do 150 minutes in the rest of the week. I have an exercise bike up the stairs.πŸ˜ƒ

• Of course! I should point out anyone can join throughout the challenge. Just post your minutes next Tuesday when I post the results thread. Good luck - sounds like you will have no problems catching up.

• HI, I'll join in if I may. I just need to stop reading posts! Thanks for starting the challenge, see you next Tue :)

• Welcome along and well done for making the move from reader to doer! You won't regret it.

You may also like...