Lowest amount of carbs?: Hello, Does anyone... - Weight Loss NHS

Weight Loss NHS
95,494 members50,566 posts

Lowest amount of carbs?

Gottodothis
GottodothisHealthy BMI
15 Replies

Hello,

Does anyone know what the lowest amount of carbs you can eat in a day. Trying to cut them out seem to get stomach ache after eating more than 100g a day.

Thanks

Wendy

15 Replies
oldestnewest
Hidden
HiddenAdministrator

Hi Wendy,

I've tagged Concerned so he can help you here :-)

1 like
suzybenj
suzybenj1 stone

I too am curious about this

1 like
IndigoBlue61
IndigoBlue61Administrator

I think it also depends upon the type of carbohydrates too. Pulses and vegetables are a better source than grains for example, and wholegrain rather than white or highly processed. I'm sure Concerned will advise ☺

Gottodothis
GottodothisHealthy BMI

Trying to avoid potatoes even sweet their even worse.

I have 1,200 cals a day from myfitnesspal which has already taken out cals to loss weight. It gives me 90g carbs, 105g protein and 47g fat.

Penel

This site may have some useful information. It does depend on your general health. Under 50 grams per day will take probably take you into ketosis.

authoritynutrition.com/how-...

2 likes
suzybenj
suzybenj1 stone
in reply to Penel

Read this and all makes sense- but not quite as effortless weight loss as it appears...

But still useful

Thank you

1 like
Concerned
ConcernedAmbassador

Low-carbers claim that we don't need to eat any carbohydrate; our body can make it from other foods.

However, the optimal amount is above the level where the body has to do that, and below where the excess is turned to fat; for most people that is between 480 kcal and 640 kcal per day (according to the Perfect Health Diet).

I would discuss the stomach ache with a health professional. You may have an intolerance to fructose for example, which would explain the sweet potato being worse than ordinary potato; fruit would also be a problem in that case.

Lizzie-b
Lizzie-b2 stone
in reply to Concerned

Hello Concerned, I wanted to ask what carbs are considered 'good' if any?

Concerned
ConcernedAmbassador
in reply to Lizzie-b

That which most closely resembles what was available to our ancestors during our evolution?

That would exclude most fruit for example, which has been genetically selected for its sweetness. Barely-ripe banana and preservative-free dried apricots have a low Gi whilst having a relatively low proportion of fructose compared to the starch they provide.

Vegetables are best (not potato, beetroot, pumpkin, parsnip, etc). Other sources include whole milk, sweet corn, sweet potato, quinoa, bulgur wheat, yams, barley, whole oats, peas, beans (not baked beans or broad beans), and lentils.

1 like
Lizzie-b
Lizzie-b2 stone
in reply to Concerned

Thankyou . So do you personally advise no bread, pasta or rice or would you eat them in moderation?

Concerned
ConcernedAmbassador
in reply to Lizzie-b

Rather than moderation, which is hard to define, I would say only in small amounts and as part of a balanced meal.

Rice for instance, even basmati, usually leaves me hungry within a very short time (which I interpret as raising my insulin levels). I don't have it very often, but when I do I only parboil it then finish cooking by frying (using lard, butter, or beef dripping), making the starch less accessible and slowing release.

Gottodothis
GottodothisHealthy BMI

Thanks everyone,

This subject makes for good reading.

Sweet potaotes are higher in carbs and micronutrients than normal potatoes.

I eat loads of veg, either rice or pasta used konjak root (barenaked or slimpasta slimrice) gluten free. 20g porridge oats. My Trainer says not enough my body says more than enough. But there again my trainer says I should be eating 1,550 cals per day (deducted some to lose weight) yet myfitnesspal says 1,200+ cals from steps.

Sometimes this weight thing is complicated, carbs and fats. Let alone protein.

Can going through Menapause cause weight gain, bloating, fatigue?

Thanks

Wendy

1 like
Kazzy17
Kazzy172019 February
in reply to Gottodothis

Hi yes menopause can mess around with weight problemso I'm afraid. Fitnesspal hasme on 1200 how strange. But I changed it to 1400 as many year's ago I lost weight with slimming on those calories. Back in late 80's...lol showing my age now he he. Good luck x

1 like
Concerned
ConcernedAmbassador
in reply to Gottodothis

Let me answer your question by asking you another question Gottodothis; have there been other stages of your life where significant changes in hormones have affected your weight, such as adolescence?

Gottodothis
GottodothisHealthy BMI

Hi,

Sorry for the late response.

I was slimish till 14 when I was introduced to more food and teenage things.

I was around size 14 till 20 then due to strict x husband who liked me extremely thin. Once I left gained weight fast. Age 24 on hrt after operation.

Brought up jam butties, chip butties, cakes, biscuits etc. But food has always been an issue my mum and grandparents believed women do not eat in public so if we ever went out we had to sneakily eat food. We also had smaller portions, it went dish out man of the house then son, daugher and last herself which is what I do today. Very Victorian. I don't have a problem eating or an issue with food itself, just need to work out what is good esp carbs, veg I can eat all day.

Does this help?

Thanks

Wendy

You may also like...