How to avoid going into freefall during a celebratory weekend?

So, our family Christmas was pretty messed up because of a nasty diagnosis for one member of the family, and instead of spending it together, we were all over the place. And we're having a 'fake Christmas' dinner next weekend, which will be a turkey lunch on Saturday (pud, crackers and everything) as it will be the first time the five of us have been together since about mid-November. Not at all what we had planned.

To add to that, we didn't see the in-laws and cousins either and they are coming to lunch on Sunday!

I am not planning on doing healthy variations on everything and drinking no alcohol, so given that, does anyone have any tips on how to negotiate a weekend of potential calorie meltdown? My intention is to enjoy just a little of what I fancy, but can that ever work?

Suggestions please as to how to manage it!

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Weight Loss Plan

Join over 40,000 others on our 12-week diet and exercise plan. Keep motivated to develop healthier eating habits & get more active.

Get Started!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

18 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Sounds like you all deserve a nice family get together without the stress of worrying about what you eat or drink.

Two days of indulgence will not totally sabotage an otherwise healthy week . I have ALWAYS had a little of what I fancy at christmas, birthdays, cruise holidays, etc and can honestly say I never gained more than 3 or 4 lbs which I then shifted in the following fortnight.

Just have a nice weekend 😊

• PS in practical terms, my way of limiting the damage is usually to eat plenty of veg or salad with whatever main course, have just one helping of dessert not two, avoid bread, and if its available I drink prosecco in a flute rather than a large glass of wine!

• Excellent advice elliebath - just what I needed to hear! Thanks for replying and have a good week yourself :)

• I can only tell you what I've been doing and that is to keep on calorie counting. Sounds really boring I know but it doesn't stop me having what I want but just how much of it I have and that includes my arch nemesis... Alcohol! Using a smaller plate to help reduce portion size seems to help.

Additionally, if you are being good most of the time then I personally don't see why you can't step over your calorie total occasionally.

Good luck.

• Yes - this seems a particularly good time to use a smaller plate - good plan, I'll do it! Thanks Tiggerr

• Happy celebrations.

• Find some alternatives, I hate Christmas pud, so always have a roulade, if you are the cook, maybe tweak stuff?

It won't do much harm , for this brief time

• Hi Diana, I'm afraid I love Christmas pud, so that's a given! But I will try very hard to be measured about it and forgo a second helping at least. I guess getting rid of the leftovers would be a good idea too

• You could try keeping your water intake up - I drank a pint of water 20 minutes before each meal, I think it helped stop me from over eating .... Enjoy your weekend 💐

• An excellent suggestion Folliegirl - I will definitely do that. A large glass of H2O before each meal is now on the list!

• Eat all the healthy things first, lots of veg for example, and you won't have enough room for all the roasties and stuffing!

• And another winning strategy Grannynise, thank you. I am the cook, so can make sure there are lots of brussels (yes, we have to have them too!), and as you say, start by chomping on them and turkey before allowing myself one or two roasties....

• The way I coped over Christmas was to concentrate on portion size, I ate the same foods as everyone else BUT I stayed in control by still weighing everthing and logging it on MFP. Enjoy!

• Thank you Caz28 - that was my first thought, control portion size. I hope I can be strong-minded on the day. I think that in addition to that, drinking a large glass of water beforehand, using a smaller plate, and filling up my plate with sprouts and turkey rather than roasties and stuffing should help me with control. I'm beginning to get quite excited by the challenge! A good sign, I think.

• That sounds like a great plan! I found Christmas dinner was fine to be honest - lots of separate dishes so you can control the overall balance of veg meat carbs. You might not even want supper after such a big meal so that helps. My top tip from Christmas was to give everyone a 'bubble and squeak' bag for the next day - all pleased not to cook, and the only thing left in my fridge was turkey and veg.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend, it sounds like you all thoroughly deserve one x

• Thanks JiminyCricket - giving away the remains is also a good idea - except the turkey as I'll happily snack all week on that!

• Dietbunny you have my full sympathy. We were in a similar position at Christmas but it was me with the illness. We all gathered for the festive season with me able to do nothing but watch the changing scenery that so many (14) people, including children, bring. I wasn't able to eat so in fact lost weight, in the worst possible way of course. However, Christmas, even your late one, is such a special time just enjoy the company and don't go too mad with the Christmas pud. I am now eating again and have put a couple of pounds on but I knew that would happen. I am concentrating on making every meal nutrient packed so that my body heals well.

• I'm sorry to hear that your Christmas was compromised by your own illness Ceals and hope that you are feeling better now. It sounds like you had a very sociable time and I hope that you were able to enjoy it, even if was from the sofa.

I have so far avoided the nasty 'flu virus that has been doing the rounds, and think that healthy eating (by and large!) over the past six months has helped - I try to eat two clementines a day and maybe the Vit C from those has boosted my immune system. But I shouldn't count my chickens!

You may also like...