New here and needing more radical measures

A bit of history to start. I had a very physical job for all of my life and never had to bother about my weight. I gave up smoking a few years ago and noticed an increase in weight but the physical nature of my work meant it was easily managed. After some health issues last year and being at pension age, I decided to retire. I'm now finding it increasingly difficult to lose weight and maintain it without the physical regime of daily work. I'm not by any means inactive and my food intake has definitely decreased. I'm just finding it hard to find a level that makes me lose and keep off the weight.

Sorry for rambling on but that's about where I'm at now. Thought I'd give this a go as I've no one else to moan/discuss this with

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Weight Loss Plan

Join over 40,000 others on our 12-week diet and exercise plan. Keep motivated to develop healthier eating habits & get more active.

Get Started!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

7 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Well done for signing up. I am finding reading and responding to people is stopping me from wanting to eat the wrong things which is just as well as there is no bad stuff in the house and it is thick fog and frost outside still. You say you think your food intake has decreased and that you are fairly active - maybe you could keep an honest food diary for a few days. Sometimes I know we lie to ourselves about how much we have had have or we underestimate portion size. I have got 8 or 9 stone to lose but having lost 3 I know I can do it. Set yourself a small goal - depending on how much you want to lose. Remember our loss is a good thing. Good luck!

• Thanks for the reply. I know I've definitely reduced my food intake- less portion sizes and no snacking. It's adjusting to my reduced physical activity that's the problem. My final target is about 20 kilos, but I would like to make a good inroad into that by the end of March

• Read the reply I wrote to Blueeyes. I can't cut and paste on my iPad, or I would do it for you. I shan't write it again, all I'll say is you are in the right place, Tony!

• Hello Tonyst Welcome to the Weight Loss NHS forum. I'm glad that you’ve joined. We are a friendly bunch! 😊 I'm in a similar position to you, getting older and being less active is making weight loss problematic 😕But I'm getting there slowly 😊

Have a look at the Pinned Posts section, to the right of your screen (bottom, if you're using a mobile) and have a look at the Welcome Newbies thread.😊 there is lots of info here, and links to the nhs12 week plan and also for checking your BMR and target calories 😊 it's important to eat enough so you don't get hungry or feel deprived 😊

It's also good to be active on the forum, that's where we exchange ideas and get our daily dose of motivation and inspiration.😊

Good luck and best wishes

• Hi T, I know what you mean about no routine re daily work ect. So, I'm hoping to start from now onwards by focusing on my new job of getting my self stronger, by sticking to a routine every day re eating plan, exercise plan and relaxing plan, before anything else, this is the 'rub'its my job for the foreseeable future, ive been putting it off for a long time, ive just joined, i weigh on 12 jan, 5 stone to get rid of and in 4 months i want to be better off for it. x Happy New Year

• It's darned annoying if you are cutting back on your food to find that you can't shift the weight. Could you maybe be eating less volume of food, but perhaps more of the "wrong" things, like biscuits, cakes and other treats?

You could try keeping a food diary for a couple of weeks and then tot up the calories you have consumed - you might find that your calorie intake is quite high even if the actual amount of food is modest. And that would guide you to what you need to change with your diet.

Also, I wonder if you could introduce a new routine for yourself - now you aren't working, can you nevertheless set up a regular week's-worth of activities, where you can book in walks, gym visits, time in the garden, classes, etc. so that you don't have too much spare time? I find that this has helped me since I stopped full time work. If I've got to be somewhere/do something, and it's in my diary, it stops me just drifting along having a coffee and cake with the paper every day.

• Thanks for the replies. I know that I've cut down a lot on my food, portion sizes, cake, treats etc. I've got a puppy in the house which is keeping me quite active. I'm regularly on 16000 to 18000 steps a day. I'm just going to have to rethink my food intake and maybe up the activity. On the plus side, I felt really unfit after Christmas but I weighed myself yesterday and had managed to lose about 0.4kg so I'm pleased with that

You may also like...