I did it! 14 kg are gone!

I did it! 14 kg are gone!

My journey started in March when I, at the age of 44, decided to try the Couch to 5k programme and totally fell in love with running.

But I was overweight and the extra kilos were slowing me down, so in June after graduating the programme, I decided that I was going to lose some weight to become a better runner.

I joined this forum and started counting calories and now - half a year later - I have lost 14.2 kg. I did it to become a better runner and that has definitely come true, but losing the excess weight has also made me feel strong and beautiful in a way that I have not felt most of my adult life. I feel and look fabulous!

It has not been easy, but it hasn't been a struggle either. Having you people here on this forum has made it a lot easier to stay focused. Thank you so much for supporting me!

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Weight Loss Plan

Join over 40,000 others on our 12-week diet and exercise plan. Keep motivated to develop healthier eating habits & get more active.

Get Started!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

84 Replies

oldest β€’ newest
  • Wow well done you - what an achievement, you must feel so proud

Loving your graph

• Thank you cracker10. I feel immensely proud.

• Brilliant! I love yr graph too. How did you do that? Mine's just an Excel line graph.

• Thank you RHendry, I have used the ""profile" area here on Healthunlocked to keep track of my progress, so I had to come up with a system that could illustrate the progress without being able to make a graph, so I have just used some of the emoji icons on my iPad - it's the moons :-)

• Wow, Iben,

What a wonderful post to read this morning, your graph looks amazing, and so are you - many many Congratulations on achieving your goals, and you've accomplished so much!!! Wow!!!

You look great in your new 'I did it!' Badge, and wishing you a wonderful day and an excellent week ahead.

Lowcal :-)

• Thank you Lowcal - you deserve a special thank you for always being there to guide and cheer and support.

• Very well done! So happy for you πŸ˜ŠπŸŽ‰πŸ‘πŸŽˆπŸ˜Š

• Thank you, Anna! If I remember correctly the two of us both aim for 62 kg? I hope you are on track?

• In my dreams!!! 65 is my next goal then I'll re assess 😊😊😊

• Oh, I realise now from reading your reply on the Last Few Pounds Club that you are aiming for 65 kg and that you are indeed on track!

• 65 was my weight when I got married 25 years ago ❀️ I'm only short so healthy bmi is under 62 so we'll see how I get on in 2017. Major target is not to regain, and get out of the yoyo diet cycle, 16 months on plan, so far so good 😊😊😊

• 16 months! Wow, you are one determined lady!

• Permanent lifestyle change 😊 The alternative doesn't bear thinking about . . .

• Well done on reaching your goal and losing 14.2kg you've done brilliant. Enjoy your running and have a lovely week.

• Thank you, YellowRose - you have been an inspiration for me when I have seen how far you have come with your very sensible approach to weight loss. Thank you!

• Your lovely words have just given me the lift I so needed today, thanks for making my day. I think we all support each other along the way. Have a good day.

• A lovely encouraging post for those of us who are struggling a bit during these cold, damp winter months. Your joints will really benefit too as they have less of you to carry on your runs!

• Thank you DD! I am glad to be an encouragement to you and others. I had not thought that 14 kg would take 6 months, but I have enjoyed the journey. And I am sure the risk of injury is a lot lower now than it was when I started.

• Well done fantastic journeyπŸ˜€

• Thank you TP :-)

• Fantastic - well done you!

This is a wonderful morning read for me! We are the same age, and I am starting from almost same weight as you (80kg) and want to lose about the same. I have delayed starting couch to 5k because I feel my weight might damage my dodgy knees. Its so good to hear that you did the running first, and now you've lost the weight - really inspiring - thank you! Huge congratulations x

And i LOVE your graph!

• Thank you JiminyC.

If you are not ready to go for the c25k yet, start with some brisk walking. If you walk briskly for 30 minutes every other day the rest of December and do some knee exercises, you will be ready to start running in the new year maybe!? It is such a thrill to learn how to run. Do it!

The graph is great, but it really also shows how fast things go in the beginning and how slow it gets when you get nearer to your goal. Hang in there!

• Yes I noticed that on your graph - your half way there is really only a few weeks in! It takes such determination to see it through - you've done fantastically well!

Good running advice - thank you. My school run walk is a 15 min round trip, twice a day, and usually one leg of is at breakneck speed coz I'm late!!! I just need to keep up the walking over the hols. I'm a whisker off losing a stone so hopefully that'll be OK and I hope to start in the new year and see how it goes.

• I also did couch to 5k first starting at around the 80kg mark (12st4). I really recommend doing it that way round :)

• Very well done my lovely x x x

• Thank you so much, Crimson!

• I am SO happy for you that is a brilliant achievement in such a short space of time. I struggle to visualise in kilos but I can see what almost 31 pounds looks like - wow! Who couldn't get motivated by your post IbenCopenhagen I do hope you stick around - you help me stay focused ;)

• Oh thank you Angusina! I promise to stick around. I need help figuring out how to maintain :-)

• Wow fantastic post IbenCopenhagen - loved watching your progress. You've done so well πŸ‘πŸŽ‰πŸ’•πŸ’œ

• Thank you isou. I think we all find a lot of inspiration here.

• Super pleased for you Iben! Really strong achievement in only 6 months. And so determined to finally reach that goal! Waving bye to those 14kgs right now. They're history. Happy running :)

• Bye-bye kilos. Hope to never see you again! Thank you, Ruth!

• That's it they're gone! over the horizon now :D

• True - can't see them anymore. Only in old photographs.

• Which will gradually become outnumbered by new photographs, new memories too :)

• What a Christmas present you have given yourself. Congratulations. Xx

• Yes! My initial plan was go give myself that exact same present for my Birthday (end of September), but it didn't go that fast :-) :-)

And thank you!

• WOOHOO, Iben! WTG you!! My pom poms are in overdrive for you!! :)

What a truly fantastic achievement and sooooooo well deserved! You've shown determination and fortitude throughout your journey and haven't allowed anything to stop you from reaching your goal!

I've followed your progress with admiration and awe and have been heartened by your willingness to help others on their journeys too.

Many, many congratulations, Iben, it couldn't have happened to a nicer person. Here's to a long and happy maintenance :)

• Thank you, moreless! You have been such a strong motivator for me all the way - I am sure you are partly responsible for many successes here because of your relentless feedback, support, cheering and encouragement to all of us. I really can't thank you enough.

• Wow that's strong and very impressive! Huge achievement! You rock! -8 (*) (~)

(My emojis donΒ΄t work :( )

• Thank you tidirhin - I am very proud of myself today :-)

• Iben

Wow how lovely for you so happy you have achieved your goal. Now go out and buy yourself something nice you really deserve it love a very very big congratulations to you .

PamxxπŸ‘ πŸ‘—πŸŽ

• You are right! I already did a bit of shopping the last few weeks, but why not go all in and get rid of the whole old oversized wardrobe!

• Iben what a brilliant idea you go for it girlie ,

Myself I'm a bit confused with the bmi checker I have gone from a size 14 down to a size 8 I'm healthy but according to my bmi I should loose another 2 stone ??? That would make me look like a stick !!! How can that be I just don't get it . Grrr

Have fun shopping love so proud of you I have been following you on your journey you have been amazing so pleased for you .

I'm going shopping tomorrow I fly to Australia next Thursday to see my daughter hubby and 2 grandchildren (boys) for 6 weeks who we haven't seen for 2 years all I have in my case is 3 dresses and a pair of shorts lol so busy day for me tomorrow or I can but out there maybe both lol πŸ˜‚

Well done love

Pam xx

• What BMI checker is that? I use this one nhs.uk/tools/pages/healthyw... Sounds very strange that you are told that you need to lose that much weigh when you have in fact reached a healthy BMI...

Have a wonderful trip to Australia - it will be strange to celebrate Christmas in summer :-) Enjoy!

• Woo woo, congratulations.. πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜ πŸ΄πŸ’πŸ’πŸ’πŸŒΌπŸŒΌπŸŒΌπŸŒ»πŸŒ»πŸŒ»

• Thank you MotherPip - also for the horse :-) ? :-) ?

• hahaha I did it on my phone and noticed the horse had slipped in just as I hit send..... on my old PC at home now lol all those show up as just squares haha

• BIG well done! X

• Thank you sooo much, Sazkia!

• Congrats Iben πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰

You persevered and it paid off. Very well done πŸ‘πŸ‘

• Thank you, FizzyLiz!

• Many congratulations to you. I love the graphics - a reminder that I might hare along for a while, but the tortoise in me is going to take over any time around now.

You have described yourself in such a wonderful way - I am delighted to hear you talk about yourself so positively.

• Thank you MissisB. Maybe you can keep up the speed for a while longer than me :-) I found that after reaching a healthy BMI, my body was not in a hurry to lose more :-) :-)

I am happy to say that I have never really suffered from self-loathing, but I have been slightly overweight most of my adult life and it is so wonderful to finally have a body that can do the things I want to do.

• This is so heartwarming to read, Iben :)

Massive WELL DONE!

• Oh, thank you so much Rob!

• Oh so well done. You started at the same time as me , and I have found your updates so helpful. great weight loss , great running

Lovely for Christmas

• Thank you Mollydex. I am glad you like my posts :-) I like yours too and I hope to see many more!

• :-)

• πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰ Pom poms madly waving! So pleased for you πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€ Love the visual too!

• Thank you Caz. You and the others in the Last Few Pounds Club helped me so much!

• the feeling is mutual 😊

• woohoo, well done Iben! I always think your posts show your real determination and focus - so inspiring!

Are you going to post a before and after?

We've lost the roughly same amount of weight in the roughly same amount of time but I've got about 8lbs/3.6kg to go 😏

• Thank you Lina! I know we have been following each other downwards. Lovely to have had company all the way. I will cheer you on until you reach your goal too!

I don't know about the before and after... maybe :-)

• Yeay!

Go girl.. running so fast you left all that extra weight behind you :)x

• I'm not running very fast, but I am running very much :-)

• How are you doing? Are you still in pain with those ribs?

• Getting there..thank you..back up to a slow 5K...and walking about nine miles a day..two walks a day...pushing a pram..myself, little mum and small one..I have lost 5 lbs since she was born!!! X

• Sounds good that you are back out there running again. All that walking will do all three of you good. I remember how much we walked with the pram when our children were babies. The only way to get some peace and quiet.

• πŸ‘ just fab

• I am so pleased for you πŸ˜€ I have found your support and advice to be very supportive and motivating I think you should be very proud of yourself and I feel proud of you πŸ˜€

• Thank you nteapea, what a lovely reply :-) I am very proud of myself, but now I have to figure out how to maintain. Maybe it is easier than I thought, as I run a lot now which I never did before :-) At least that is what I am hoping for!

• I hope to see your progress πŸ˜€

• Brilliant achievement! Very well done :)

• Thank you muffintop!

• Huge congratulations!!! Your journey has been very similar to mine. Decided in August to lose weight, and started the Couch to 5K at the same time. Today I am one pound (half a kilo) short of losing two stone (12.7kg). I know exactly how you feel, I've never been this weight my entire adult life. I feel so much more confident, happier and strong and beautiful!

This forum and the C25K one have helped so much with encouragement and support. And I'm sure your post will show those struggling that it can be done.

Well done!

• Thank you! And thank you for sharing your story too. Love to hear other people's stories! It is fantastic to finally have the body you deserve! And running... I can't believe that I have become a runner. I'm sure you know how I feel :-)

• I hadn't realised you started the C25K programme not long before me, I thought you were already a seasoned veteran of running.

I am so pleased that you have achieved, not only your goal of losing 14kgs, but also of improving your running, the two have gone hand-in-hand for you.

You have also been a pleasure to have on this board as you have been so encouraging to all of us here as well as over on the C25K board.

Thanks for everything and congratulations on your fantastic achievement!

• Thank you LTL for those words. How funny to think that you thought I was a seasoned runner! It has advantages to only know people on-line!

I have used this forum or the C25K forum a lot since I started running. Both have the same wonderful spirit of helping and encouraging each other. Your weight loss progress has been an inspiration to me! I remember when you changed your username and I first saw your progress photos. Such an incredible transformation you have undergone. So thank you too.

• Fantastic, well done IbenCopenhagen! That's a tremendous achievement!

• Thank you Lofters. I am so happy about it and still a little surprised when I see myself in tight lycra running gear.... Wow, what a change - all muscle, no flab! I know you are still working on it. Keep going. It is worth every calorie you don't take in to feel the way I feel now :-)

• Thanks for the encouragement, I'm working on it :)

• Congratulations!! Your hard work and focus has paid off. Well done, a really positive and inspiring post, thank you x

• Thank you Sprout15! I'm glad to share it :-)

You may also like...