4 weeks In problems with unknown calories

Although I'm new to the health unlocked I have been trying to follow the losing weight guide for the last 4 weeks. I have had 2 problems with it though. I was following a 15 minute Davina McCall exercise dvd because I have never done much exercise. The big problem I have had is that I have bad epilepsy and have around 13ish seizures every month. On the third day I had just finished my routine and went to collect my drink of water that I use during my exercise and had a seizure and fell badly my knee was in severe pain and I have been on crutches since. I am annoyed that it is stopping me from fully completing this properly. I am still following the rest of the routine and I am still losing weight slowly but have even dropped a size from 18 to 16 so I am very pleased. My husband had already promised someone that we don't see very often that we would be having a meal with them from our favourite takeaway near them when we go to visit and I don't know the calories in any of the food as it is not on there website or in the menu now that we are here so I didnt know the amount of calories I ate yesterday. I have stuck to it every day before calorie wise though and only gone over once before by 64 calories. What should I do about not knowing the calorie intake.

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Weight Loss Plan

Join over 40,000 others on our 12-week diet and exercise plan. Keep motivated to develop healthier eating habits & get more active.

Get Started!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

1 Reply

oldestnewest
  • Hello HubbysMissMouse and welcome to the forum.

While not necessarily knowing the calorie content of food sold by the restaurant, by opting for dishes that contain chicken or fish instead of lamb, for example, and sauces that are tomato as opposed to cream based, overall calorie intake may be reduced.

Additionally, by sharing a side dish with your husband, calories will be saved.

However, it’s only one meal. The fact you’ll have continued to maintain a calorie deficit in the days before-hand means that any excess incurred won’t wholly undo your cumulative effort for the week, while also taking into consideration that some of your daily allowance will also be included in the overall calorie content of what you consume.

I appreciate that you have concerns over injury preventing you from undertaking exercise at the moment (allowing additional calories to be expended), but by reducing calorie intake closer to your minimum allowance until you’re free of the crutches, weight can and will continue be lost.

During your period of recovery, on the assumption that it won’t exacerbate symptoms, ensure that consumption of refined carbohydrate remains reduced to a minimum (in favour of complex alternatives/non-starchy vegetables) and that its consumption constitutes 30% of daily allowance.

As for protein, its intake should constitute 35% of your allowance with healthy fats making up the remaining 35%.

Most importantly, increasing the consumption of coconut oil may also help to reduce the occurrence of seizures, as the saturated fat it contains (MCTs) improves the production of ketones, assisting in activating proteins required for the growth, maintenance and repair of brain cells.

If it’s not something you’re already aware of, ensure that you opt for cold-pressed/virgin coconut oil as opposed to partially hydrogenated alternatives.

If you’re UK based, invest in a jar of LucyBee coconut oil; it may cost £10 for a 500g jar, but the investment may prove to be worth it, in addition to researching ketogenic diets, which may also be of assistance.

You may also like...