Coping with temptation

How do people cope when your boss comes into the office with cakes she has made herself? Seems so churlish to refuse. I do try to limit myself and go out for a walk most lunchtimes (not a particularly exciting prospect on the edges of Wakefield). But occasionally there are those 'I have absolutely got to eat that' urges that seem to undermine all your good work.

So any tips on avoiding the yummiest foods around that happen to be totally unhealthy would be much appreciated!

21 Replies

oldestnewest
  • It's a sad sign of the times that eating cake is perceived as socially desirable and declining it to safeguard health maybe thought impolite.

Despite my psyche historically telling me 'I have absolutely got to eat that' I never ate cake that lived up to the hype.

You can only control your own actions (not other people's), by eating sufficient, tasty, satisfying real food, and this will become the norm again (isn't it funny how cyclical life is?) when there are enough like-minded people.

• The only thing thing if you cannot resist it is to add it on your allowance thus having less left for meals etc.

I know it's hard as it makes you feel not in with the rest of the group.

I have told everyone what I am doing but when I am now confronted with temptation I just ask myself "How Long is it going to take me to burn that off?" and I soon say no to the cake, biscuits etc

• I sneak on here for a read, as some of my chums from C25K are on here too..I hope you do not mind me replying...? :)

Maybe, and I know it sounds silly, but just say "...no thank you" ? It may seem rude, but if you explain quietly to your boss, that you are trying to lose weight then at least she knows. :)

When I started C25K, ( the other forum) , last year after too many wonderful meals and wine, on a French holiday it was hard..very hard. My weakness being cheese and savoury snacks. The only way is tough, just say no and make the decision to cut down.

Healthy snacks and healthy foods , you know, with all the great advice on here are possible...the choice is ours in the end..

Do you fancy C25K as part of your health regime? There are few posts on there currently about diet etc.. ?

Sorry for hijacking your post :)

• Sorry castiggy, but I just don't eat it! I haven't done for over a year and don't intend ever doing it again. Not at Christmas, or Birthdays, regardless of who's made it. I made a pact with myself and intend sticking to it :)

The longer you go without, the easier it is to stick to, so there is light at the end of the tunnel :)

Good luck! :)

• I let myself have a bit of cake once a week, so I weigh up whether the cake on offer looks better than something I'd get at a local cafe at the weekend.

I do have a slight problem that I started a new job and there have been cakes several times a week some weeks, and each day looks better than the last, so I have found it hard to resist!

One colleague puts out a pack of biscuits once a week and another is fresh out of school and brings in biscuits or a big box of doughnuts or a pack of muffins once a week - I don't think he realises how unfair it can be to do that.

• If I know about it in advance (like a birthday or something) I will plan it in and then have a small amount. However, if it's a spur of the moment then I don't have any. For me, it also kind of depends on what it is too. I find that I don't really care much for most British cakes (as I find them too dry) and that helps me pass when they're offered as they're just not worth the calories. :P

I'm lucky though in that most of my immediate colleagues are monitoring their weight in one way or another and are therefore understanding when you say thanks, but no thanks! :)

• That's why we pile on so much calorie dense frosting!

• I actually think American cakes tend to have more frosting most of the time. We almost always frost both the top and sides as well as in between the layers where British cakes (largely from my experience) usually just use frosting to sandwich and sometimes on top.

My problem is, I love the frosting as well! :P

• if I give in to temptaion, I feel quite bad afterwards, but if I've had a good day, I feel so much better. Try and think about how proud you will be with yourself if you manage to resist :) You can do it :)

• I gave in yesterday, but before I've popped the treat into a tub in my drawer and had it when I could plan it in. I always have tubs. If I don't, there's loads abandoned in the kitchen.

• That's a really good tip 😊

• If it was me I would refuse, I would just say I am trying to be more healthy. I would not eat it just because my boss made them and is offering them. However, if I wanted a treat and they happen to be there then I would accept a small amount, make note of the calories etc and then I would include them into my allowance and maybe fit in some extra activity. :)

Sazkia x ♥

• I have just made it clear to everybody that I don't eat unhealthy stuff anymore, so when I am offered something that I don't want to eat, I just smile and say 'no thanks' :-) It works.

• "Oh how lovely - I'm not very hungry at the moment - do you mind if I take it home with me?"

Cue, plastic bag from roll in desk, cake stored, and put in my bag to take home, where I donate it to Mr B. ;)

Yes, it's a cop out, and of course I should be able to be honest, but I'm not there yet.

• That's a great idea - I shall take it home and give it to my other half, who is as skinny as a lath!

• Health isn't just about body-fat percentage.

• I'd do the same as Missis and Wishus, put a piece in a pot or bag to take home. They'll see you take a piece, you'll have done the polite thing, been vocal, everyone feels good, then just take it home for someone else to enjoy or for yourself even - but have just half today, then half tomorrow. I have the added bonus of being dairy intolerant but this backfires when someone specially makes something without dairy (e.g. my boyfriend's mum!) I also find saying something aloud helps, like 'they look lovely but I need to be careful how much sugar I'm having at the moment' then you commit yourself to a position where it would look silly to then 'give in'. You could always say you're worried about fillings, diabetes, high blood pressure, some mysterious medical condition, something people won't immediately have a prepared response for. There are definitely ways round this :)

• It is actually quite strange - it is socially unacceptable to be fat, but it is just as socially unacceptable to say no to unhealthy foods. Very strange.

• I could not agree more to that statement Iben!! It's very strange, indeed.

• I always find it odd that people always bring in cake and sausage rolls for birthdays and then moan about being overweight. Perhaps they are trying to get the rest of us fatter, so they feel good about themselves. I do admit to bringing cakes in on my birthday, but I do also offer a healthy option of fruit and yogurt.

• If you don't want to be 'different ' why not say would the person mind if you took it home for later ! You can than make the choice of whether you eat it or not . I'm with you Missisb as we are already dealing with a heap of emotional baggage anything to ease our transition 😋

You may also like...