Fartlek is the key

Hi all

Don't know whether you have come a cross this term before but fartlek (Swedish phrase for speed play)really helps your running

Basically on a longish run try to run hard for a minute or so then slows down to your original pace

Try and do this 6 to 8 times during your run and you will find your run goes quicker and your heart and legs will have had a good workout !!

18 Replies

oldest β€’ newest
  • The same technique can be used in cycling, rowing, swimming, walking, etc. πŸ™‚

• Yes

• Indeed Missi indeedπŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸƒ

• Hi Gra,

I used to do that whenever there were shadows (i.e. speed up in the shadows) and go slower in the sunshine, to make my runs 'more interesting' - I also speed up and slow down on the bike in the gym - and also do it on the cross-trainer.

I tend to call it 'High intensity interval training' but I have to say the work 'fartlek' sounds like an alternative I can go with. But I think people will wonder what I'm doing if I say, I'm 'fartlekking' today. :-) (Unless they are Swedish, in which case they'll probably correct my grammar)...!

Hope you're having a great week.

Lowcal :-)

• Hi low sl

Having a great week ta hope u are too

Yes the term is rather amusing but that's the swedes for you

Makes any activity more intersting as well as raising ones personal threshold fitness

• Try using it in the office. πŸ˜€

• Lol yes although my boss probably wouldn't understand lol!!πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰

• If i ever have a son im going to call him Fartlek.

• I see .........

• What? Its a great name, full of character. πŸ˜‰

• So is Kaldomar - but I wouldn't want you to call your son by that name.

• I think fartlek is a great name so much better than Tom dick or Harry

• If I ever meet any child called Fartlek, I am just going to say "Health Unlocked?"

• Indeed I'm graham by the way boring name !!

• Not if it's your husband's name. πŸ˜‰

• Well there you are πŸ˜„πŸ˜„

• My middle name is fartlek though!!

• This is great advice!!!

You may also like...