Recipe: Herby Cannellini Beans

Recipe: Herby Cannellini Beans

Hi everyone! So I had this for dinner the other day and a couple of you have requested the recipe. Its low cal, much lower in sugar than baked beans, and its got plenty of veg in it as well. High in potassium and stuff. I had it on top of a jacket potato, but it's also nice on the side of meats (particularly lamb), it is also nice on toast, and also if you add a little more stock to it it makes a lovely soup too. Plus it's veggie so everybody's happy. Fairly cheap to make too- tinned pulses are always a good thing to make the pennies stretch, and I always have a load of fresh herbs in my garden to nab.

Herby Cannellini Beans

1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

Knob of butter

1 red onion, diced finely

2 celery sticks, diced finely

1 carrot, peeled and diced finely

2 garlic cloves, crushed

1 tsp dried thyme

1 stalk fresh rosemary, destalked and chopped finely

2 tins cannellini beans, drained and rinsed

2 bay leaves

150ml vegetable stock

Salt and black pepper to taste

2 large ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped

4 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped

Squeeze of fresh lemon, and lemon wedges for garnish

1. Sweat the onion, garlic, celery, carrots, thyme and rosemary in the butter and olive oil for 10 minutes, or until soft.

2. Add the cannellini beans, bay leaves, stock, seasoning and cook for 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes, parsley and lemon and cook for a further 5 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges.

5 Replies

oldestnewest
  • That looks really good. And even better sounds like it's quick and easy. Both are good in my book.

Thanks for the fantastic recipe! :)

• Hi Chefmel,

Wow, very exciting to see another great recipe from you, with an excellent photo too. I will add this to my recipe collection - and hope to try it out sometimes soon.

Lowcal :-)

• Great looking recipe thank you 😊

• That definitely sounds like my sort of food. Thank you Chefmel

• Will see when I get a few minutes to try and cook it!😀 Looks fantastic!

You may also like...