Red Onion, Goats Cheese and Red Pepper Tart

Red Onion, Goats Cheese and Red Pepper Tart

Hey guys, a couple of you asked for me to post up this recipe, I had this for dinner yesterday. It's not ridiculously low cal because of the puff pastry and all, but it's lower cal than a big steak pie with chips and gravy or something isn't it! I had it with salad, as you can see, if this isn't filling enough for you you can put some new potatoes on the side as well, this works well.

Red Onion and goats cheese tart (serves 3)

A sheet (rectangle) of ready rolled puff pastry

5tbsp red onion chutney (home-made or shop-bought)

100g roasted red peppers (the ones you get in jars), sliced

20gcapers

100g soft goats cheese

15g pine nuts

Sprinkling of fresh thyme leaves

1 egg (for egg wash)

1. Heat oven to 200C. Place pastry onto a baking sheet. Score (with a knife) a little border around the edges, and prick the middle to prevent it from rising.

2. Spread the chutney evenly over the middle. Top with all the other ingredients, brush egg round the sides, and put in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve with a nice green side salad, or new potatoes.

12 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Wow that looks amazing! Yum! X

• Wow, Chefmel, this looks really delicious, thanks so much for posting the recipe and such a great photo too. Yum!!!! :-)

• I shall have to make note of all these dishes I am seeing on here...especially when they are vegetarian dishes...mmm that does look good. xx

• I love puff pastry tarts and you can put loads of different toppings on, yours looks delish! I 'allow' myself puff pastry about once a month these days and really look forward to it!

• Looks delicious. Thanks for sharing 👍

• Wow that looks absolutely lush Fab picture also.

I am going to have a go at creating this.

I will probably adapt the pastry no keen on puff pastry.

Thank you much appreciated ☺

• If you aren't keep on puff, you can make little shortcrust pastry tartlets with this filling, with a bit of beaten egg poured into each pastry case (to give the tart a little body). Or this also works with filo pastry, although I suppose you have to brush filo with loads of butter :)

• You've taken the words from my mouth -shortcrust for me all the way. Thanks again I will make it. ☺

• Looks tasty, however I'm not a fan of goats' cheese. Do you think it would work with mozzarella instead?

• My mum also isn't a huge fan of goats cheese- she likes this but only because I use a very soft mild goats cheese, which she doesn't mind, from Sainsburys. If you really don't like goats cheese, it works well with feta, blue cheese or spoonfulls of full fat ricotta- I think if you use balled buffalo mozzarella you might end up with a slightly "wet" product. However, if you used the cheap "firm grated" mozzarella it would probably work- you'd end up with an almost "caramelised onion and red pepper pizza tart" recipe instead, lol!

• I suppose that's the trouble, I'm really picky when it comes to cheese! I don't actually like goat's cheese, feta, ricotta, or blue cheese either! I'm kind of a pain, I know.... :P

Looks like it's the "pizza" version for me! :)

(I usually use the pre-grated mozzarella on pizza anyway, I can't find the dry block stuff over here and it melts better on a pizza than the wet stuff.)

• Yum