Nice recipe- Carrot and Coriander Soup

Hi guys. So a few people said we like seeing recipes up on here so I thought i'd post up one of my favourite soup recipes. Had a big bowl of it the other day with a few oatcakes for my dinner. Low cal, plus it makes a lot and you can freeze portions if you want.

1 tbsp olive oil (or lemon/chilli oil works well too)

2 diced red onions

1 clove garlic, finely chopped

750g carrots, peeled and diced

1 apple, peeled cored and diced

1 tbsp garam masala (or if you don't have this, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp ground coriander, and a pinch of cinnamon works well).

1.5 litres vegetable stock (or beef or chicken, whichever flavour you prefer)

generous handful fresh coriander, finely chopped

squeeze of fresh lemon juice

salt and pepper to taste

Extra fresh herbs (e.g. coriander, parsley, chives etc.) chopped for garnish

1) Fry the onions and garlic in the oil in a large saucepan for 5 minutes. Add the carrots, apple, and garam masala, and cook for a further 5 minutes.

2) Add the stock, and cook on a high heat, for 10 minutes. Add the fresh coriander and a squeeze of lemon, and cook for a further 20 minutes, or until the carrots are very soft.

3) Blend (I use a hand blender) until smooth, season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve with some extra chopped herbs on top, and some oatcakes or rice cakes on the side.

Very nice and very nutritious, fills me up nicely.

12 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Thank you for sharing, will definitely try this when the mini heatwave is over and it starts feeling autumnal ! 😊

• Hi sounds lovely, nice to have a chef on board and any low cal recipes gratefully received. Hope you are doing ok with week 1. Bev

• Any healthy inspirational recipes always welcome :) Will definitely be trying this so thank you very much for posting!! Hope your week is going well...

• I love soup. Definitely going to be trying this soon - and individual portions in my freezer are always a good idea.

• Sounds brilliant. I also add spice to my carrot soup, usually a touch of ground coriander and celery. I like the sound of the apple. Will experiment with my spices a bit more next time I make carrot soup, thanks :)

• Excellent!

• Yummy!😀 Thanks for sharing.

• Mmmmm......... sounds delicious Chefmel! :)

• Hi Chefmel,

Wow, this soup recipe looks fantastic, and I will definitely give it a try. Thanks so much for posting it. Carrot & Coriander is one of my favourite types of soup, and I do love having plenty of homecooked soup available for the Autumn and Winter months - I often freeze some as it's so convenient then, and saves time to bulk prepare it.

Yum, maybe some Carrot and Coriander soup later this week! :-)

Lowcal :-)

• I always like having soups but I read that you need protein to fill you up. So how would you add protein to this? Would you add lentils to make it more filling or is the 'need protein to fill you up' thing a myth?

• Protein does not "fill you up", the predominant food groups that lead to satiety have been fibre, starches, slow release (e.g low sugar) carbs and fat. Adding lentils would make it more filling due to the complex carbohydrate and fibre elements though, yes. If you make this with lentils just add a bit more stock.

• Thank you :-) I tend to eat vegetable soups thinking 'I'm going to be hungry' which makes me hungry after an hour! I will reprogram that thought and am making your yummy soup this weekend thank you

You may also like...