Maintaining 101

Some of the hows of my maintaining, and the rationale behind them.

The evidence as to how many people regain weight after losing weight is sketchy, as are nutritional studies in general. However, there is no doubt that maintaining is as important as losing weight, and to my mind a vital part in the process of continued weight loss. A maintenance plan can be used for one or two weeks each month for example, to prevent the body feeling deprived of any nutrients, stopping a plateau ensuing.

Whereas many weight loss ‘diets’ may work in the short term, some do not provide everything that the body needs for the longer term. A maintenance plan must include every nutritional need of the body to be healthy, and not too much of anything.

Having several sources of each of the macro-nutrients will usually provide plenty of micro-nutrients provided we eat whole-foods that have been minimally de-natured. Processing foods and additives impair their nutritional value to us.

Protein is needed for growth, maintenance and repair. About 45g is recommended for women per day, 55g for men

The amount of carbohydrate needed is about 130g per day for a sedentary person. If we eat less than this minimum the body can make glucose from protein, but this does require time. If we are involved in intense activities such as weight-training we may need more carbohydrate, but this has been overemphasised by some. If we eat more than necessary, the excess can be turned to fat (as with any of the macro-nutrients).

Fructose can be toxic if we have more than an ounce per day

Insulin is the energy storage hormone; eating foods that spike insulin will disrupt our metabolism ,

Fat has been demonised, though natural fat is our friend (provided we don’t exceed our energy needs as stated earlier). In maintenance, we can consume natural fat to replace the amount of energy we were using from body-fat to lose weight too; on average that means up to 60% of kcalories from natural fat .

Last edited by

7 Replies

• Very interesting 😊 Thank you for sharing 😊

I am currently (post hysterectomy) having unusual food cravings, which I attributed to hormones ( avocado, walnut , natural yogurt, blueberries, red meat, ) and was interested to read that these are all foods that help with healing 😊 It just demonstrates how important it is to listen to our bodies and eat a wide variety of foods 😊

• Hi Concerned,

I really like your post - very interesting and informative.

Lowcal :-)

• Wow, I sad wide eyed listening to this. Very informative.

• I particularly liked the episode that explained exactly why insulin spikes are detrimental to weight loss 😊 He explains it very well

• What may not have come across is that the hormone insulin/IGF-1 affects other hormones, being implicated with PCOS and post-menopausal conditions for instance.

• Thank you for pointing me to that article.

• Brilliant video - thanks for posting this. It explains a lot.

You may also like...