Weight Lost, Confidence Gained!

Last week I helped a friend as he needed someone to crew for a dinghy racing event for a couple of days. This was only possible after losing weight, I gave up racing dinghies a few years ago and quite honestly was so unfit that until recently I wouldn’t have even considered it, but losing 3 stone has made all exercise so much easier. It felt good to have enough body confidence to walk around the boat yard in my old wetsuit, was amazed it still fitted. Dinghy racing is quite strenuous and although anxious beforehand wondering if I would still be able to do it, I really enjoyed myself and we did quite well.

It has given me a real boost to think I can do more energetic activities again now I’m fitter, not past it yet! I also went swimming off a bigger boat at the weekend , was agile enough to climb up and down the ladder, not too self -conscious to be seen by our friends in my cossie.

Today I decided to dig my bike out of the garage, dusted it off, pumped up the tyres, helmet on and I was off! Haven’t been on that either for at least 5 years, determined to keep up the healthy lifestyle, no going back now.

9 Replies

oldest β€’ newest
  • WOW Sailsalot well done for losing three stone (you could ask Lowcal or moreless for a badge if you want).

If you keep up with all your swimming 🏊🏼 sailing ⛡️ and bike riding 🚴🏼 the pounds are going to fall off πŸ˜„ You don't say if you are at your goal, if not you are definitely going the right way to get there. Life's so much more enjoyable when you can join in with others, rather than keeping self-consciously out of the way.

Good for you πŸ‘

Mouse 🐭

• Thank you Anon-E-Mouse , yes I am at my goal weight now, I just need to maintain which is slightly daunting, but have managed for a few months so far. Just getting used to being slimmer and fitter, have really enjoyed this summer being a smaller person :)

• Yes, we need maintainers to hold our hands when we get there 😊😊😊

• Your post takes me back Sailsalot, I used to crew in dinghies, as a teenager and it would be lovely to go out again! :)

Well done for regaining your confidence and putting yourself out there. We deny ourselves so many pleasures when we're overweight and it's terrific being able to redress the balance :)

Keep it up, I'm expecting to hear that you've taken up ice-skating, mountaineering and sky diving next! ;)

As Anon-E-Mouse has suggested, would you like a maintainer badge, or an I did it badge? :)

• Thank you moreless, why not give the racing another go, or at least try it in a dinghy again, it's great fun. A difficult choice between badges (wow how good to be able to choose between both of those) but I would love a maintainer one thanks . I only recently discovered Healthunlocked, wish I had found it earlier! Not too late though as will still need motivation to keep to my goal weight. Love reading everyone's posts, a great forum. Hmm I was wondering about playing badminton again, used to like that....maybe not sky diving :)

• Unfortunately, I don't know anybody with a dinghy any more and I don't have a sailing club, but it would be nice :)

Badminton! Something else I used to play! :)

This forum/community is second to none and we all love it :)

Congratulations on becoming a maintainer :)

• Fab fab fab Sailsalot πŸ˜ŠπŸŽ‰πŸ‘ŸπŸŠπŸΌπŸš΄πŸ½πŸŒŠβ€οΈ

Very well done 😊 Very happy for you 😊

• So pleased for you! It's fantastic to get back to doing things you love, it will keep you fit too 😊

• Thank you Caz28 and Anna61 I'm hoping doing a bit more exercise will help with weight maintenance, certainly feel more energetic.

You may also like...