Bad day yesterday :(

So yesterday was an extremely bad day!!

I had all my meals prepped for the week and thought I was unstoppable!

Clearly, I’m easily lead astray because I over ate on deserts after dinner and ended up going over my allowance by about 600 calories!

I just couldn’t stop myself, I was feeling so depressed all day from a bad day at the office and instead of going for a jog or horse ride like I usually do to take my mind off it; I sat in the house, made a veggie omelet and ate ice-cream.

I think I may have just been having too much fun on the weekend and my body was going back into old habits. I’m only on my 2nd week and starting to feel like it’s an impossible task. I always relapse. Always. Always.

This time though, I want it to be different. I don’t want to lose the half stone and yoyo between 12.5st and 13st like I have been doing for the past year or so.

I’ve also been lax about my exercise and I need to get jogging again! I miss it but I just have no motivation.

What does everyone else do to motivate themselves?

15 Replies

• I make myself accountable to others Shana.

I joined the monday group weigh-in and "confessed" my weight, something I'd only done in slimming classes before and became addicted to the buzz of the thread. Mondays are now the highlight of my week and I'm always inspired and motivated by everyone's amazing achievements.

I join all the challenges, as they make me get off my backside, when I'd rather be slobbing out.

I gave up sugar, as I was obviously addicted to it and that virtually cured my tendency to binge.

I gave up alcohol, because the calories are empty and it weakened my willpower.

I became a really active member of this community and couldn't help but be motivated and inspired by it.

I learned to love myself (almost) and stopped treating myself as a garbage disposal unit! :)

I started to take pride in my appearance and achievements, no matter how small.

I fell in love with the way I feel now and never want to go back to the way I was.

I hope this gives you some ideas Shana. I'm not saying that these would be right for you, or anyone else, but these are right for me. I really hope you find the answer to your question, because life on the other side of self-recrimination is wonderful and just what everyone deserves :)

Wishing you all the very best :)

• Great reply moreless :)

• Thanks muffin :)

• I so want to be like you.What a great reply

• Thanks Catherine, it's taken me a long time to get to this stage and I'm sure you'll reach your goals in time too. Just remember that you're worth all the good things in life :)

• Thank you Moreless.C xx

• Great answers moreless 😊😊😊

• Thanks Anna :)

• Hi Shana03. I spent the last few years only losing half a stone then putting it all back on again. At the beginning of the year I decided enough was enough and was determined I was going to succeed this time. This forum is what really has given me the motivation to keep going. If I felt I was going off track then I came on here and read some posts and gave a few replies. I love that it's 24/7 support! I know its hard and temptation is all around us and when we are stressed we crave nice treats. But try to find realistic alternatives to treat yourself be it food or non food. So find a sorbet that you like - I know its not ice cream but loads less calories. Buy yourself a magazine and sit and read it. Just an idea for you! I can honestly say that now I am lucky enough to be at my goal weight - that feeling of wearing smaller size clothes, going upstairs without puffing, and just starting to feel a bit more confident is definitely worth all the hard work. Is there something that you would really like to aim for? Try to bear it in mind everytime you are tempted to stray from your calorie allowance. My other motivation is that I am going to be 50 next year and knew that if I didn't lose the weight now it would be harder as I got older. The big challenge now is keeping it off. But I am convinced with all the support on here I will manage to do it. Is there something that you can aim for? I really hope this forum can help you to find your motivation - I know you can do it! :)

• Before I stopped; when I first started running, I hated it, didn't have the motivation, but knew I actually wanted to give it a try. I eventually got in to it and felt really bad if I didn't go. I am naturally a really lazy person and like constantly tired - so I would have much rather had spend my evening indoors on the sofa till bed.

I used to make it part of my day, like taking a shower or going to work. I made it an evening ritual before dinner or bed (my preferred time) and I would say to myself that I'm not allowed to sit down or relax until I had gone and done my lap!

After a while it just became what I did, I didn't need to think about having to do it, I just did it, I always had time for a run.

Sort of like faking it till you make it. I forced myself to run, till it became a habit/routine for me. Eventually, I would feel really bad and guilty if I genuinely didn't have time to go.

Then my focus went from making sure I actually went, to achieving something - mine was to try and go .5 mile non-stop. When I reached it, I moved it up to 1 mile non-stop. I'd just turn it into completing goals and bettering myself, so it always drove me to go out for that run, instead of sitting on the sofa (but I could do that afterwards of course)!

Pick a goal and go for it. Say, making sure you go at least 2 times in one week for a couple of week. Then up it to 3 times and week or something. Just so you get in to the routine of going first, then it hopefully won't seem such a chore. After that, you can focus on things like C25K or just setting your own goals and going at your own pace.

Google new routes, find some local parks (even if you have to drive there), grab a jogging buddy (be careful not to pick a super fit one... I went with my ex (partner at the time) once (emphasis on the once) and it made me feel like absolute dog poo, because he was much fitter than I was and I was struggling with CS at the time, so I had to keep stopping anyway. Either way - it does nothing for motivation going with someone who can run rings around you)

But I much preferred to go alone anyway, it was a bit of 'me time'!

That's my experience anyway. I am a VERY lazy person, so for me to feel like I was being bad and feel guilty for not exercising was very out of character.

• When ever I need a motivation to start something I listen to music.. the ones that when you hear it you need to get up and dance... That gets me more active and my mind out of the stressful day. Its your 2nd week and its still going to feel very difficult but remember nothing is forever and as more as you fight your anxiety the more stronger your decisions will be. Dont give a mind to what happend, is already gone.. Focus on being more strong and think more positive! Because you will do it this time . :)

• Wow thanks so much everyone! It's amazing getting so much support here.

I'm definitely going to try the C25k and see how I get on with that too! I just need more motivation and more time in the day! But the only one who can do this is me and therefore the excuses need to stop.

• Shana

Good luck try and be motivated hard I know but I bet you can do it, go on you know you can xx

• Take it one step at a time 😊 It's a learning curve, you don't learn all the tricks straight away 😕 The longer you stay on plan, (and keep returning after a 'blip') the more deeply ingrained the good habits become 😊 Glad you are feeling more positive 😊

• Shana

Oh cheer up its not that bad just get back on track you will be fine ,

I make sugar free jelly so if I need something sweet I have that , but that is my one and only treat as I don't want to go back to my old ways,

This is my second week and so far so good.

I'm sure you can do it don't get dishearten you had a blip now I'm sure you will be fine

Good luck to you xx

You may also like...