BMR, Exercising and Calories

Good Morning everyone, I hope you are all having a great week.

I am on week 3 of the NHS 12 week plan. I have joined my works gym and have been doing a 30 minute workout in the morning before I start work. I also have a 20 minute walk to work in the morning and a 20 minute walk back home in the evening. At the weekends I walk for a minimum of 5 miles each day. My fitbit tells me that I am burning between 5000 and 6000 calories per day. It's never been less than that to date. Myfitnesspal calculates my BMR (Basal Metabolic rate) at 2868 calories a day (425lbs, male, 6ft 3, 48yrs young). With an estimated 5 x 30 minute workouts per week + my weekend walks, I would class myself as moderately active so I multiply my calories by 1.55. This gives me a total of 4445 calories a day. The NHS recommended calorie intake for a man on the 12 week plan is 1900 per day. I have been strictly eating 1900 calories a day but I am worried that this is way below what I should be eating based on my exercise levels and that my weight loss is too much as a result. I have to say that this has been manageable and I haven't been hungry at all. Can anyone offer any advice to me on the whole calorie intake thing and tell me how many calories I should be eating to aim for around 2-3 lbs loss per week.

Thanks

Kenny

6 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I don't know much about the whole calorie/exercise thing but I'd be guided by your body, make sure you drink plenty of water as well.

A big well done as well 🙂

• Hi Kenny,

The 1900 recommendation on the NHS 12 week plan is for the 'average' man, and you are clearly a tall man, so not an 'average' man - if you look at the NHS BMI calculator which is on the right hand side of this link:

nhs.uk/Livewell/weight-loss...

and if you enter your personal details, height, current weight, and current activity levels it should give you a recommended 'range of calories' to eat within. It should be drammatically higher than 1900. So you can check that out, if you want to.

I am 6 feet 1 inch tall, and a female and I am currently aiming for 2,250 calories per day as my daily intake.

I agree you should be eating more calories.

Good luck!

Lowcal :-)

• Thanks for taking the time to reply. I will take a look. Cheers

• I agree with Lowcal - the NHS BMI calculator is really useful. Even at 5'4" and only 2 stone overweight it calculated I should have more than the 1400 recommended for women on the 12 week plan. So I'm not sure where they get their sense of an 'average' person from! Although I still tried to stick to 1400 while I was losing weight, as I felt okay doing so.

• Wow Kenny25 you are a real inspiration how you have taken on board your new lifestyle journey. I wish you all the luck and weight loss in the world you deserve it. I am carrying on my own journey and at the mo doing ok, just entering week 5 today, keep posting your progress it is good to hear how motivated other people are as it eggs me on to do more. Bev👍😊⭐️

• Thanks Bev. It does feel like a new start. I am in a good place and happy. I'm enjoying my food and also the exercise. Feeling positive about my future.

You may also like...