Day 3 coming Later .. Need advice Pure orange/Apple Juice

Hi guys

dieting going good thanks .

i will do day 3 of my diet later on .. but need help on something . with my snacks that i have between breakfast lunch and dinner i have a glass of Pure orange juice or apple juice if i dont have water .. now i eat my 5 a day now with 3 peices of fruit ... now understanding that these are all natural sugars but is this to much and will it affect me losing weight ?

10 Replies

oldestnewest
  • When you eat fruit in its natural state the fibre content means that the natural sugars are digested slowly and are not a problem, fruit juice on the other hand is a big hit of these natural sugars without the fibre, it is digested differently and tends to go to your liver where it is stored as fat. As long as you are counting the calorie content of your juice it shouldn't affect your weight loss, but it is much healthier to eat an orange or an apple instead.

• Thanks for your help

• So I've been drinking some home made smoothies . For instants kale , carrot , celery , and other veg then I'll add some apple jut or orange juice make two drinks from it and drink one in morning and one in the evening .. Do you think is a better way to incorporate the juices .? As I have about 7 cartons in the fridge .

• If your smoothies include all the fibre from the veg that will mean the sugars get digested like whole fruit and avoid the juice only problem

• Use up the cartons of course, but the whole-food will be far healthier because it provides the vitamins and minerals we need, whereas the re-constituted juice will have been heat treated and retain very little goodness.

• It's probably better to be eating more veg than fruit, so that you are keeping your sugar intake low.

• The problem is not with the rate of digestion. Many fruit juices are low Gi; it is a myth that removing the fibre necessarily speeds up how fast the sugar is absorbed.

Notwithstanding that, the problem with fructose is not the rate of digestion. It is toxic if eaten in large amounts; more than an ounce per day according to the Perfect Health Diet. Fructose has to be processed by the liver, which is what slows the rate of absorption. Excess leads to non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD), raises very low density lipoproteins (VLDL) - harmful cholesterol, the emanating visceral fats being implicated with insulin resistance. In the longer-term this is what affects our weight management, and our health.

So Penel is right; eating two or three portions of fruit per day is not usually a problem, and eating more vegetables is better.

• Thanks concerned

So I don't know if you saw my replies to some comments earlier so if I put say 3 portions of fruit in a smoothies with 3 veg .. ? ..

• I don't want to get too prescriptive with this; ultimately you have to make an informed decision about what's best for you ;-) On the face of it that seems a good way of enjoying your fruit and veg, just be aware that some vegetables like carrots are sugary too.

The new Eatwell Guide recommends that a smoothie is considered only one of our five a day.

• Wow yeah . Really in depth but thanks for advice more veg then fruit sounds good .

You may also like...