Feeling rather overwhelmed this weekend.  Not so much with the weight loss/healthy eating thing, but with life in general. 

1.  There's a lot going on with my Brownies (the kind you join, not the kind you eat!) with the other leaders in my unit having various health/family issues.  Not that it's their fault, sometimes these things happen.

2.  I'm also District Commissioner (I know, I'm somewhat nuts to have agreed) and have things needing to be organized/planned/units with leader troubles.

3.  Really feeling like my family expects me to do everything around the house while they can't even be bothered to clean up after themselves!  I work full-time as well so I really need my husband to be involved in the housework.  And let's not even get into the state of the grass, both front and back yards.

4.  Strikes by Southern staff meant I had to work from home two days this last week.  As a consequence I only managed to get in 2 of my 3 swims.

It's all just kind of gotten to me this weekend.  Added to the fact that the fish hadn't defrosted in time to cook for dinner yesterday.  It all works out to my husband suggesting getting a Chinese take out.  Which we did.  Of course today (having written up my food diary for yesterday and found what the calorie count came in at) I'm really thinking I should have had a dig through the fridge for leftovers or something rather than going along with the Chinese suggestion.  But.... I just couldn't summon up the mental energy to do anything else besides go with the flow.

All in all, this week has been something of a bad one.  I had a bad week the other week, managed to get back on track the next week, but then this last week has been something of a downward spiral culminating in the overindulgence of yesterday.  Need to find a way to pull myself up and get back on track for next week.  Not just for the Get Me Healthy plan, but also in feeling like I have some control over my life in general.

Sorry this is a rather maudlin post.  Just really feeling it the last few days.  Next time I won't write such a novel.

Last edited by

13 Replies

• Hang in there -  few bad days in the long run won't count for much! ( that's  what I keep saying to myself! )

• Definitely something to keep in mind, thank you.

• Don't give in xx

• Sorry you are feeling a bit overstretched this week. It is obviously a combination of factors, hopefully all the stuff won't happen the next time around at the same time. Perhaps you should get a list down on paper with columns headed- obligations to others- and right it all down in list form what you do and feel you need to do/and is expected of you. In other column write what you have done for yourself or would like to do for yourself but somehow don't get around to. if the list looks heavily swayed in one direction, maybe you could look at what could be moved off the list, further down the list, or negotiate delegating to others to free up some thinking time for yourself to do what you need to for you.

• Thanks for the suggestions, timetoact.  Good idea, time to take stock.  I've been focusing on the need to be healthy, but that means more than physically.  Never been much of a list maker, but it might be time to give it a try!

• Hi Vicky,

I would suggest printing a copy of your post for each member of your family and giving it to them!

Brownies - involve the parents more and ask for help. Delegate to your deputy any duties which you're unable to perform at the moment.

I'm assuming you have children, but don't know their ages. If they're old enough, get them to mow the lawn/weed the garden/prepare meals/run the hoover around. If they're not old enough, get some brownies/guides/cubs/scouts to do it for you. After all,  The Brownie Promise is ... I promise that I will do my best, to be true to myself and develop my beliefs, to serve the Queen and my community, to help other people and to keep the Brownie Guide Law. The Brownie Guide Law is ... A Brownie Guide thinks of others before herself and does a good turn every day. It's a similar thing for cubs, guides and scouts :) 

Every time you prepare a meal, put at least one extra portion into the freezer. If you're ever in the position of not having the time/energy/inclination to cook, the rest of the family can have a take-away, while you have a healthy, home cooked meal.

Unfortunately, life happens and we have to "Be prepared"!!! ;)

Good luck with getting back on track :)

• Thanks for the cheering section and ideas, moreless!

Brownies isn't usually that bad, it's just lately that my other two leaders have lots going on.  It's just unfortunate that I've been the only one around all the time.  Just the way the dice roll.  We usually divide up the work of running the unit between the three of us and we've got a great unit helper.  Will definitely have to see about more parental help though, if only to make sure we don't have to cancel any more meetings due to lack of adults!

The kids are a bit more tricky as they're not actually mine, I only borrow them occasionally. :)  My husband has two daughters.  We all get along well, it's just you kind of get tired of all the reminding (picking up, putting away, that sort of thing).  In any case, the younger of the two is a Guide so maybe more of the helpful needs reminding.  My husband needs more work!

You're right in the "life happens" department.  I'll have to see what I can stock up to put in the freezer.  Saves money too. 

I will get there.  And stop moaning.  It's just that sometimes you have to let off steam and do so in a way that won't make an already difficult/challenging situation worse.  :-) 

Thanks for listening and your support.  I really appreciate it.

• When I look back to my Brown Owl, I realise now, what an under-appreciated, over-worked person she was! She was a lovely woman and we used to turn up at her door willy-nilly. She never turned us away and always had a smile on her face. I doubt I ever let her know how appreciated she was, so I'll thank her, by proxy, through you for the wonderful job you all do :) 

You feel free to let off steam, any time you feel like it, that's what we're here for :)

• Thanks, moreless.  Sometimes it's best to let the steam off in a non-judgemental space where nobody is involved.  Saves going off the handle at people you love and care for!  Even when they do drive you mad.

Brownies is usually a very positive thing and I love supporting and encouraging the girls to be their best.  I can do no less for myself.  It's also nice to know what we do is appreciated! :)

• This is what we are here for, if you can't have a good old rant and moan to us who understand who can you do it with.

Another week is here. Let's just try again and not beat yourself up about it.

Smile 😀 You'll be fine xx

• we all have days like this.....stay upbeat...

• Thanks all for the support and encouragement.  I will regroup and get there in the end.  Just a blip on the radar and can be overcome. :)

• It's good to get it out there 😀 life does get in the way sometimes. I fully agree with all moreless said in her post - very wise words! You're not super human and can't do everything yourself you will burn out and be no use to anyone. Hope you share your feelings with your nearest and dearest they are probably oblivious to how things are and how your feeling. Stay strong. Xx

You may also like...