Having too much fun !

Having too much fun !

I am having fun on this new adventure for several reasons. Mainly the people , who are so kind and supportive, all the varied ideas, and (this is the kicker) you are so British. I admit to being an Anglophile. I have read British history for years and many British biography s and travel books. When I come across a word I don't know in a post I go directly to Google and happily explore the subject.These are a few of the things I have learned.

pudding = desert

chips =fried potatoes? I thought chips were french fries.

brown sauce= steak sauce

beetroot = beets

courgette = zucchini

aubergine - eggplant

And so many more

Some of the dishes I have tried and loved are...banger and mash , peas mashed into mashed potatoes,Scotch eggs, You notice I love the comfort foods. Some of these aren't conducive to weight loss so I tweak them. It's making weight loss much more fun.

i'm wondering if anyone can come up with a food or term to stump me. I won't google it. I already know spotted dick so don't go there.

16 Replies

• There are some amusing differences within the English language, aren't there. Where is it you are from?

• Detroit, Michigan USA I actually live in surrounding suburbs , however, I grew up in Ohio farm country.

• Oh wow, you are far away, I am glad you found us though!

• It is nice that you are using our forum from over there.

• Try these for size vintage :)

chappit tatties

clootie dumpling

potted heid

• Oh my. Tatties are potatoes. I'll just have a think and get back to you.

• It's a bit like a crossword puzzle :D

But what kind of potatoes? :)

• Crikey, you've stumped me Moreless ! Speak English :)

• I quite like faggots

I like them in the morning, I like them late at night

I don't mind them with my tatties, or paired with a swede

If you're having faggots you're going to fill a need

It's all about tradition and giving it a go

Have them slow or have the quick

Just don't have them with a spotted dick

• What about a faggot for tea ??

• Oh - faggots are fab :-) Brains Faggots :-D

• I remember those adds lucca!!

• Many moons ago, I used to buy fresh faggots from the butcher. I haven't seen them for years.

• Gibbons ? Anybody for a nice gibbon with a bit of salt ? 😊

• Monkeys????? :)

• No its spring onions 😊 I'm guessing not many people will know them as that. It seems to be just a welsh name for them ( not welsh language tho) as when I moved out of wales to England, people looked at me mad when I called spring onions that. - its one for your list of obscure local names tho 😃

You may also like...