I'm the only person who eats porridge in our house and for months haven't bothered, because the amount I would now allow myself, hardly seems worth the effort.

I thought the following may be of interest to others in similar circumstances and those who would like to take a breakfast to the office or workplace.

It is possible to make porridge (oatmeal) in advance and quickly reheat it in the morning in a microwave (or a saucepan, which will take slightly longer). We suggest using normal rolled porridge oats (in the US known as quick-cooking oats) rather than the coarser type of oats sometimes known as "Old Fashioned" oats. If you want to make just one portion in advance then it is easiest just to mix the oats with the amount of liquid suggested on the package and leave it to soak in the fridge overnight in a microwaveable container. The next morning microwave the mixture uncovered on full power (1-2 minutes, depending on your microwave) until boiling and cook for 20-30 seconds extra. Stir well before eating and add a little extra milk or water if the consistency is too thick. If you are cooking on the stove top then put the soaked oats in a saucepan and heat, stirring occasionally, until boiling and cook for 30 seconds, adding more liquid if needed.

If you want to make a larger number of portions then put the oats and liquid in a saucepan, bring up to the boil and simmer for 3 minutes. Cool and divide into portions, storing each portion in a small airtight container. The porridge can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days or can be frozen for up to 3 months. Reheat the porridge in a microwave until piping hot and stir well before eating, again adding extra liquid if necessary.

Birchermuseli is also very popular and is made by soaking porridge oats overnight in just enough liquid to cover (you can use milk, water or a fruit juice). In the morning stir in fruit of your choice along with a little milk or yogurt.

17 Replies

• Hmmm sounds handy.

I get up around 6ish in the morning, the first thing I do is put 3 bowls of muesli base to soak, and between 7 and 7.30 everyone tops it with various things to eat. Must try it overnight sometime 😊

• My husband makes our porridge everyday. I am convinced that it is the foundation stone of my diet.

It totally worth buying decent oats to.

• I just stick it in the microwave for 2 minutes anyway - no presoaking - seems to work ok for me.

I bought a carton of the Alpro Coconut Milk the other day, and have made it with half milk / half coconut milk - and it tastes delicious :-)

• My next experiment is to almond milk in my porridge

• I love almond milk to drink, but have never found it particularly appealing in porridge !

• I'm trying Bircher muesli tomorrow morning. I've put the oats, yoghurt, a grated apple and some nuts to soak overnight. I don't really like the texture of porridge but I know it is healthy so thought this might be a good way of eating the oats. Anyone any other recipes?

• Worth knowing. Thanks Tewson!

I can say - based on recent experience - do not consider the slow cooker for porridge. Came out the consistency of wallpaper paste - and took 48 hours of soaking to disengage the left-overs from the ceramic bowl....! Never again!

• I usually have the Scotch Porridge oats - 60g which is more than the recommended allowance , but despite this I still feel hungry 5 hours later. Hearing you talk about the "old-fashioned/coarser" oats, makes me think that that is indeed what I need to try to feel fuller for longer. Can this be bought in regular supermarkets? Do you have suggested brand?

• I find that proper oatmeal is nicer and much more filling than rolled porridge oats. It takes a little more cooking, but you can soak it overnight, which makes things a bit quicker.

I can get medium ground oatmeal in my local Asda, Waitrose and Morrison, certainly. What I like best is the coarse ground (a.k.a. pinhead or steel-cut) oatmeal from the health shop.

If you want oatmeal in bulk, you can order it direct from the Mornflake website. I did that and got some freebies, too.

• I buy the 'Scott's Porage ' oats, and I'm sure they come in two versions - one of which is 'old fashioned' i.e. the coarser version :-)

• I used sainsburys taste the diffence large rolled oats .85p a bag.

• I just put four spoons in a bowl, 200ml skimmed milk and microwave it for 3 minutes, literally the time it takes for me to put my contact lenses in and drink a coffee!

I prefer the cheapest oats, they have a coarser feel. Don't like the fine stuff, like Ready Brek.

What do people add? I usually add some blueberries..

• I have Sainsburys taste the difference oats every morning. 50 g add water. Microwave 2 mins 30 secs. Add couple of spoon full of Total 0% fat yogurt which makes them creamy. Add berries, I buy the frozen ones and defrost before using the microwave for a further 1 1/2 mins. I do this everyday.

• Years ago I worked in a care home where they made porridge in a HUGE saucepan on a weekly basis and warmed up portions daily for residents. It never seemed very appetising to me, but never killed off anybody. At the care home my daughter works at now, it would never be allowed. I would prefer to make it fresh personally, I use 1 oz oats to a mug of water and microwave it as I cook for myself only and this makes one good portion

• Was not brought up on porridge. Tried it once but no it is not for me. My husband has basic muesli and add on some bran, a touch of milk and maybe cut a fruit in it or add on dried fruits. He loves it. it fills him up.

• I make "fridge porridge", it is delicious. Just soak some oats in milk (soy, almond, dairy, your preference) with some nuts, seeds, dried fruit of your choice overnight in the fridge.

It is delicious and as I use handy snap and snap containers (I make 3 days at a time), I can just grab a spoon and rush out the door if I am in a hurry. Fills me up until lunchtime too.

• I put yogurt and fruit in with porridge oats and leave overnight. Eat cold the next day. Delish!

You may also like...