I need to lose 14 stone

Hi, I'm not sure really how to start this. I'm 23 years old and weigh 28stone 11lbs which puts me at approximately 14stone overweight. I currently have an appointment booked for mid-September for my initial bariatric surgery consultation but I know I'll need to lose some weight in order to have any surgery. As someone who has always struggled with my weight I can't diet. I always fail at them. Does anyone have any easy to follow diets/programmes that they can reccomend?

Thank you

Rob

Last edited by

11 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi Rob, welcome and good luck for your journey. A lot of us on here are following the NHS weight loss plan nhs.uk/Livewell/weight-loss... which is good because it encourages you to make small changes at a time, which I think is more sustainable than going on a 'diet'. However it does rely on calorie counting, and the suggested daily calories may be quite low for someone of your size (I'm guessing you're quite tall as well). This link nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Healthyw... is good for calculating the range your calories should be in, so use the guide on here instead. If you just start by trying to calculate your calories per day and see if you can reduce to the lower end of the amount recommended in the BMI calculator, and follow the general principles of the NHS weight loss plan, this may be a good place to start. Hope that helps :)

• Hi Ruth, Thank you.

I wasn't expecting a reply so quickly! If you wanted to find out more about me, I am going to start a blog on wordpress, it would be great if you could have a look imgettinglessfat.wordpress.com.

Thanks again

Rob

• You sound very determined! Just want to welcome you. There are lots of great folks on here, it's worth looking around - some really inspiring stories which are great for motivation. Lots of luck :)

• I truly am. I've had to quit my job, and am starting to show symptoms of certain conditions I don't want to have. Even if I lost 10stone with the surgery and excercise, I feel I'd be in a much better place :) Thanks again

• Hi Rob

Have a read of this post from OlsBean. It may possibly be helpful for you, it's an alternative view on controlling weight.

healthunlocked.com/nhsweigh...

• Thanks, I have been showing signs of Type 2 diabetes recently so I will have a watch.

Thanks Again,

Rob

• Hi Rob. This is a fab forum for support, advice and motivation.

At the beginning of the year I was 24st 7lb, I am now 21st 2lb. You can seriously do this - it is amazing how much better it feels to just lose 3 stones. Remember there are great health benefits to losing just 10% of your weight.

I am not dieting and not even counting calories - yet. I have simply cut down - a lot. I haven't cut anything out and still have the odd indulgence. For me this is a lifestyle change. Ok, I could probably be losing weight faster if I didn't have an evening a week off or the other odd indulgence but I can't see me maintaining such a strict regime long term.

Weight loss surgery scares me and I would do all I could to avoid it but I know for some it is the only option.

I know you have had problems with your knees but can you walk ok? I could barely walk 1 km when I started now I can happily walk 5 km and be on my feet for a few hours - a massive change for me. It wasn't easy, you have to preserve and if you are in pain (and it is safe) you simply have to walk through it. Within a couple of weeks the changes will be huge. It took me about 3 months to build up to the 5 km.

Please feel free to pm me if you think I can help.

If I can do it, anyone can. Just imagine by your mid 20s you could be fit and healthy with your whole life ahead of you - now that has got to be worth it.

Good luck :)

• I've sent you a DM. Please have a read and offer any support you can give.

Ta Rob

• Done :) Excellent blog too!

• I also had a look at your blog after being curious reading your posts here. I wondered what you ate and why you ate it. You have enough confidence to travel around Europe and to make a new partnership. You have professional qualifications and have used them. I wonder whether something like cognitive behavioural therapy might help. With your developing health issues I wonder if you need to be aware of over-reliance on your new partner.

You can make the change happen. It might not be easy but it is possible.

Good luck.

• Hi,

My main problem is portion sizes. Of course I eat more junk food than I should (as a teacher - late night marking = takeaways and fizzy drinks especially in the last year or so). Why? Because I enjoy it. Is the simple answer.

When I went travelling I was 24 stone (granted 25 and a half on return) but I was sort of happy at that weight - It didn't really bother me. Steph (my GF) accepts me as I am. She justs wants what I want and right now that's to lose weight. I'll look into CBT, thanks for that.

Rob

You may also like...