You can change, even if 'healthy eating' guidelines don't!

I find it really heart-breaking when people put themselves through the tortuous privations of a restricted diet, only to succumb to regaining the weight and more.

For me, focussing on foods you can eat that satisfy your appetite is the start. Then you can begin to alter portion sizes to facilitate weight-loss.

This was the original ethos of the Eatwell Plate; eating healthily in the right proportions, taking the focus away from counting calories. Now it needs to change in light of a growing body of knowledge; acknowledging the implications of:

1. The glycaemic index (that many starches are rapidly turned to glucose in the body, spiking blood glucose, causing harmful excess insulin responses; offenders include jacket potatoes, Weetabix, Shredded Wheat and wholemeal bread). However, as Diabetes UK state, the quantity of carbohydrate consumed is more determinant in the effect on blood glucose than the glycaemic index.

2. There is no association between saturated fat and CHD; a Cambridge University meta-analysis of 72 studies established.

3. Fructose glycosylates haemoglobin seven times as much as glucose. It works on the pleasure centres of the brain as other addictive substances do. Excess is turned to harmful lipids, contributing to fatty-liver, insulin resistance, and chronic disease. It does not trigger hormones to switch off your appetite and let you know when you've had enough.

Last edited by

3 Replies

• Hi Concerned,

Is there a link to the Cambridge study regarding the investigation into saturated fat and CHD, or the names of the researchers? I'd really like to take a look at the study and have a good read through. I've heard a lot about it reported in the national papers, and it sounds like significant meta-analysis.

Hope you are having a good weekend.

Lowcal :-)

• Many thanks, I will have a read of that when I have a few minutes. Looking forward to reading it.

Lowcal :-)

You may also like...