HELP with weight loss

I have been a member on this site for a while but never really posted.

I am trying to lose weight for a really good reason and that reason is because I want to have a baby. I have PCOS and have been told that the more weight I loss the better my chances will be to conceive and carry full term. I have had eight miscarriages since 2008.

I have tried most of the diet clubs in my many years of battling with my weight. I found the red and green diet the best for me but think that was just because I was living on jacket potatoes and beans on toast...

I have thought about substituting breakfast and lunch with a meal substitute such as a shake as I don't normally eat anything for these two meals but what do people think about this and would it help me loss weight?? If the shakes would would which ones do people recommend?

Thanks and look forward to all the advice.

7 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I am a fellow PCOS sufferer, losing weight will definitely help, but it is such a battle I agree!

• Well tanyavincent181, your red and green diet was awful for your metabolism. PCOS is exacerbated by insulin-resistance; the jacket potatoes, beans and toast would cause your body to produce excess insulin.

Eat foods that don't raise your insulin/IGF-1 levels excessively and your hormones will start to normalise, you'll become hungry less often, then you'll find it easier to lose weight because you'll be able to use body-fat for fuel.

Keep your carbohydrate intake between 10 and 14 portions per day (1 portion = 10g carbohydrate), ideally 3 meals x 4 carb portions. Follow this link diabetes.org.uk/documents/c...

Eat low GI carbs, reducing intake of fructose too which glycosylates haemoglobin seven times as much as glucose. Follow this link glycemicindex.com/

Make up the balance of your meals with natural, additive-free, unprocessed protein (palm-size or less) and fat foods such as meat, poultry, fish, seafood, eggs, cheese, nuts, avocado, coconut, palm oil (not hydrogenated), olive oil, double cream and butter.

• Concerned you may be, but I have reeived a missive from you and this one is no different. Are you trying to blind us with science? Statements like "10 to 14 portion per day(1 portion = 10g carbohydrate)" Why not write "100g to 140g carbohydrate" ang what does that 'g' mean ? Is it gram?

• I write it that way because portions are what Diabetes UK use.

Yes 'g' is for gramme. That is why I put 40g per meal, so that people can choose either grammes or portions, whichever they find easier to understand.

• Hi Tanya

I'm very sorry to hear about your miscarriages, I do hope you can be succesful next time. There are several ladies on here with PCOS, if you type this into the search box at the top right of this page you will find several posts.

The recommendation is to cut down on foods that raise the insulin levels in your body, as Concerned has written. You need to avoid sugar and eat as much fresh, natural food as you can. This is another site that explains about Low Carb eating.

authoritynutrition.com/low-...

Replacing meals with shakes will not give you the healthy food your body needs, which is doubly important if you want to become a mum.

Good luck with everything.

• Jacket potato & beans on toast? What planet did your Doctor come from? I imagine that you have not yet received the suggested food list from this site. I do not follow it slavishly but fruit is Good, veg is Best. Genuinely fresh veg that is, not something in a plastic bag, I've just been reading about junk veg in the daily paper!

To become a mother is to invite a lovely stranger into your life who will pay no attention to your need to sleep, eat or put on make up! So prepare yourself by being VERY pro-active in your search for good food that will not just not make you fat but will keep you fit.

Try the free exercise videos on the NHS site. There is every kind from 10 minutes workouts to Weights or belly dancing to aerobics.

You may also like...