Yes, Processed Food 'Makes' Us Fat -- But Science Provides Two New Clues As To Why

I found the following article interesting, especially the bit on how the emulsifiers they add can affect our gut bacteria.

This will motivate me to try harder to not give in to temptation and avoid low fat processed foods that have these emulsifiers.

6 Replies

• That was really interesting ... Particularly about the emulsifiers too ... Thanks, quite literally 'food for thought' 😉

• I still think that vested interests are trying to dupe us! Fructose excites the taste-buds, making things more-ish, with no fat necessary, and since it doesn't directly affect insulin or leptin, it doesn't satisfy appetite. It's only the fibre in fruit for example that deters us from eating too much; it's easy to over-consume fruit juice.

Then, foods that over-stimulate insulin/IGF-1 play havoc with our blood glucose. I've lost count of the number of people that have been told jacket potatoes, Weetabix, wholemeal bread, Shredded Wheat, Ryvita, baked-beans, yoghurt, and so on are healthy, without realising what these foods do to their hormones.

In the days of Weston Price, he identified that the 'displacing foods of modern commerce' were detrimental to health. Now there are more of them, plus science can be used to demonstrate which foods raise our blood glucose excessively; the problem is these facts are ignored. I've seen time and again health professionals that think it's healthy to eat the foods listed above, whilst discouraging people from eating natural fat, that our digestive systems evolved to eat, at all costs.

• I do try to avoid white carbohydrates such as sugar and white flour, however I am happy to eat carbohydrates from other sources so that I can have a balanced diet.

l used to eat low fat fruit yoghurts, thinking they were the healthiest option, until I looked closely at the ingredients. There was nearly 20g of sugar, which is around 6 spoons! I now just have greek yoghurt with fresh strawberries cut up. This is far better as I know what goes in and is more tastier.

• Yes, but again it's been glossed over that it is probably the protein in (any) yoghurt that causes it to spike your insulin/IGF-1 levels even though it is a low Gi food.

As for a balanced diet, our perception has been skewed. Most non-athletes burn between 400 and 600 kcals as carbohydrate per day. Your body can make up a slight deficit from other macro-nutrients. Too much however, and your body starts to convert it to body-fat in an effort to keep your blood glucose at a safe level.

We've been encouraged to eat up 300g of carbs a day, which was the inevitable consequence of avoiding eating fat. However, natural fat has minimal impact on our hormones, whereas carbohydrate often raises insulin/IGF-1 levels, or as in the case of fructose causes insulin-resistance, fatty-liver, visceral fat, VLDL and so on.

• The importance of having healthy bacteria in our guts has been the subject of several studies but it's not something that gets reported very much. The importance of what you eat seems to get lost sometimes in the frantic calorie counting.

Giving up processed foods has a great many possible health benefits apart from weight loss.

• I do eat jacket potatoes and wholemeal bread, but not in any great quantity. Jacket potato maybe once a week, one slice of wholemeal bread at breakfast. I'm not in favour of cutting out what might be called 'ordinary' foods. I've cut down severely on sugars in all their forms and cut out anything 'low fat' because - yes - there is sugar added!

On Saturday we drove 70 miles to attend a study day at Sutton Hoo. After breakfast of boiled egg and wholemeal toast, next meal was lunch break in the restaurant. Jacket potato with cheese, beans and salad was a good meal and kept us going until we got home.

One of the big problems of nowadays is the habit of 'snacking'. We used to be taught - long ago - not to eat between meals. I'm grateful for that because I never acquired the habit.

You may also like...