New to This

Just started today. I have about 4 stone to lose so it's going to take me a while!

I was slim until my 30s and have gradually gained weight ever since. I have been working out the calories I usually eat each day and am horrified to realise that I can easily eat 3000 on a bad day and even a day I used to think I was " being good" would be well over 2000.

So it's going to be a real shock to my system to stick to a calorie allowance and I am going to need all the help I can get.

9 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi there. I just started yesterday, and like you was horrified when I counted up my calories for the day. Well over 2000, and I thought I was being good! Slightly less so far today. I think the advice to cut down gradually is a good one, I know I will be more likely to stick to it if I don't feel starved at the beginning. Let's keep going, one step at a time.

• Thank you for the reply. I think you are right. I have such a lot to lose that it's no good thinking short term. I need an eating plan I can stick to permanently. I am just concentrating on improving my diet to start with. Eating a healthy breakfast, keeping sugary and fatty snacks to a minimum and eating my 5 a day.

My diet has been so bad that this will be a radical change that I will hopefully get used to.

My health has suffered too. I have high blood pressure and painful joints so I really have the incentive to improve and keep going.

• Hi you've made a start so your already ahead of those that are still thinking about it! In a year from now you will look back and see how much you have achieved. I greatly underestimated my calcorie intake until I started to write down everything I ate. Weigh in Saturday so fingers crossed I've lost adding to the 4lbs I've already lost only 39 to go!

• Thank you. All the best for Saturday. 4 lb is great.

• Writing everything down is a real eye-opener, but helps to restrict the food intake. I've bought a small diary and write down all that I've eaten each day. It's helped me to cut out the snacks and to keep to a healthier diet. Good luck!

• Absolutely. I wrote it all down yesterday and struggled to keep it to 1500 cals.

I need to completely rethink what I eat and find foods that give me more bang for my calorie buck.

Time spent looking and recipes and calorie counting books would seem the way to go.

• Try using myfitnesspal app to calculate all your calories. Its so easy and you just put in the type of food and quantity , eg dairy milk fun size, or mashed potato 150g , glass wine 175mls ...etc etc and it adds it up for you as a daily diaryl its helped thousands of us to lose weight. I had 2 st to lose last may, and I have now lost 26lbs, so am nearly there. You can too!!

• Well after a week of procrastinating and reading about the NHS diet and exercise plan I am going to start this properly tomorrow.

I will count the calories and and make the effort to exercise by following the plan.

• Me too, I definitely have portion extortion syndrome. Am going to try the advice and have fibre and protein to fill me up. We shall have to wait and see. I have at least 3 stone to lose and should probably lose more.

You may also like...