Here is a nice low calorie recipe for all your lovely people out there. Don't expect it to taste like the really lovely traditional thick pancakes - but it really helped me the other day when I had a sweet craving at lunch time (darn the hormones!) I had just these for my lunch but they could work as a dessert if you have had a small dinner I guess - as they are quite filling.
Total calorie content - 170 calories
Serves 2 - 3
1 oz (30g) porridge oats
1 large egg
3 teaspoons splenda - or alternative. (1.5 for fruit and 1.5 in the oat mixture) you could alter/decrease this if you haven't got a sweet tooth
75g fresh or frozen blueberries - I used a red berry frozen mixture
75ml skimmed milk
25g self raising flour
Low fat cooking spray
1. Separate the egg and whisk the egg white in a bowl until it is stiff and has some peaks.
2. Beat/mix the egg yolk in another bowl with the flour, 1.5 tea spoons of the sugar, milk & oats
3. Fold in the egg whites gently with this mixture. Use a metal spoon and make sure that the volume of the egg is as light as possible.
4. Spray low fat spray in a non-stick pan then place some batter on the pan. Cook until puffed up for around 2 - 3 mins (mine cooked actually a lot quicker than this!) Make sure to turn once, so its golden on both sides. It says you can make 6 - 8 pancakes - but I only managed 5 with the mixture and they weren't that big either.
5. Before you put the pancakes in to cook - warm the fruit mixture in a small saucepan with the other 1.5 tea spoon of sugar and a teaspoon of water until the fruit is broken down a bit and soft.
6. Serve with the hot blueberry sauce on top or on the side - DE - LISH!
7. On a real treat day you could also sprinkle with icing sugar - American style! Or have a squirt of low fat squirty cream! But not too much - moderation is what you need...!
Happy Healthy Eating Everyone!